Falkirk's Cup Winners
John Hodge
1960 Euro entrants
George Niven/Billy Ritchie
Old Firm on film
Old Firm United
Tom Boyd
Ferranti Thistle
Morton Stars




Q Peter Bennie wants to know "the names of the Falkirk team who won the Scottish Cup in 1957."

A The team was: Slater, Parker, Rae, Wright, Irvine, Prentice, Murray, Grierson, Merchant, Moran, O’Hara.

The same eleven played both the first match and the replay against Kilmarnock. John Prentice scored with a penalty in the 1-1 draw and Merchant and Moran scored in the 2-1 win that took the Scottish Cup to Falkirk for the second (and to date, last) time.

Q From Paul Nelson: "Who were the Scottish representatives the year Real Madrid beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3 in the European Cup Final at Hampden and how far did they progress?"

A Rangers were the Scottish entrants in 1959-60 and they reached the semi-finals before being crushed 12-4 on aggregate by Eintracht.

Q Bernard Collins is looking for "the name of the goalkeeper who succeeded George Niven at Rangers?"

A It was Billy Ritchie, who actually vied with Niven for the goalkeeping slot. Niven won his place back when Ritchie was called up for national service. But by the start of 1961-62 Ritchie was back as first choice and Niven was transferred to Partick Thistle later that season.

He remained the regular keeper until 1966-67 when Norrie Martin took over.

Q Mickey Walker is looking for "the earliest known film footage of an Old Firm game."

A The earliest I've SEEN is the 1928 Scottish Cup Final. But if anyone out there knows of any earlier, please get in touch with the address at the top of the page.

Q Roger Campbell runs an Under-12 team in Lanarkshire and Tom Boyd agreed to present the medals at their annual presentation so Roger asks for "some information about him: appearances for each of his full time clubs, Scotland caps, honours etc."

A With 72 appearances Tom Boyd is the fifth most-capped player in Scottish international history (Dalglish, Leighton, McLeish, McStay are the top four). He won 66 of those caps with Celtic which means only Packie Bonner and Paul McStay have won more while at Parkhead – and only McStay has won more Scotland caps.

Tom captained his country five times. Unusually he didn’t assume the captaincy for his 50th cap as this was the last match (and a vital one) of the 1998 World Cup qualifying campaign v Latvia at Celtic Park. Craig Brown stuck with Gary McAllister on that occasion but Tom was captain for the next game away to France. The other times he was international skipper were away to the Faroes and the Czech Republic, both in June 1999, in the 2000 European Championships qualifiers, against Australia at Hampden in November 2000 and in Poland in April 2001.

His only international goal was scored v Estonia at Rugby Park on March 29th 1997 in a World Cup qualifier (Scotland won 2-0, Tom scored the first goal).

Tom’s international career started in September 1990 when he came on as a sub for Robert Connor against Romania in the opening match of the 1992 European Championship qualifiers and ended 11 years later in September 2001 with his 72nd appearance coming in Brussels against Belgium in a 2002 World Cup qualifier.

He played in the European Championship finals of 1992 (1 game), 1996 (3) and the World Cup Finals of 1998 (3)

Tom was born in Glasgow on Nov 24th 1965 and signed for Motherwell as a schoolboy. He made his debut on Feb 11th 1984 at Fir Park in a league game v Aberdeen (Well lost 4-0).

By the time he left for Chelsea in a £800,000 transfer in June 1991 he had made 252 League appearances for Motherwell, scoring six times. He’d made 18 League Cup appearances (one goal) and 31 Scottish Cup appearances. His only Scottish Cup goal came in a quarter final replay in 1991 away to Morton in a match which ended 1-1 with Motherwell winning on penalties.

Of course this was the year they went on to beat Celtic after a replay in the semis and Dundee United in the Final 4-3 after extra time to win the Cup for the first time since 1952. This was his last match for Motherwell before moving south.

He was a regular at Chelsea – his debut was against Wimbledon at Stamford Bridge on Aug 17th 1991 (2-2) - making 23 League appearances and two outings in both the League Cup and FA Cup before Celtic secured his services in a deal valued at £750,000 in February 1992 (included Tony Cascarino going the other way).

He’d been capped four times while at Fir Park and added two more caps at Stamford Bridge. His last match in England was a 2-1 win at Liverpool on Feb 1st 1992. He didn’t score any goals for Chelsea.

Seven days later he made his first start for Celtic at home to Airdrie in a league game (Celtic won 2-0) and scored his first goal for Celtic at Love Street in a 1-1 draw with St Mirren in April that year.

By the time he’d made his last League appearance for them, at Aberdeen in May 2002 he’d turned out 306 times in all.

He succeeded McStay as captain in 1997 and the next season led Celtic to their first League title for ten years. He was still captain when the title was won again in 2001 before the captaincy was transferred to Paul Lambert.

He also captained Celtic to their first League Cup success for 15 years in 1997-98 and was again skipper when they won it in 2000.

Tom played in the Celtic team that ended a six-year trophy drought in 1995 when they won the Scottish Cup and came on as a substitute in the 2001 Scottish Cup Final for another winning appearance.

Tom also played 34 times in Europe for Celtic.

His last match as a Celtic player was at Parkhead on Nov 6th 2002 helping his team to a win on penalties over Partick Thistle in the League Cup. His career spanned almost 19 years and in total Tom made over 800 appearances in first class football.

558 Scottish League (8 goals)
51 League Cup (1 goal)
65 Scottish Cup (1 goal)
34 European
72 International (1 goal)
23 English League
2 League Cup
2 FA Cup
Total 807 (11 goals)

He won three League Championships, two League Cups, three Scottish Cups, five times Scotland captain, one World Cup Finals (3 apps), two European Championships (4 apps).

Not bad, considering his first season ended in relegation!

Apart from one season (84-85) all League appearances were top division.




Q Devin Ward asks: "On your site a person called John Hodge was mentioned playing for Celtic. Around the same time i am trying to find out about a player called James (Jimmy) Hodge who also played for Celtic. Is there any chance you know about him or is this the same player?

I know he was called Jimmy because i have a newspaper cutting which definatly calls him Jimmy (whilst he played for Man Utd)"

A The John Hodge who played for Celtic was born in Greenock, joined Celtic from Port Glasgow Athletic in 1899 and was transferred to Portsmouth in 1902. The Jimmy Hodge who played for Man Utd was born in Stenhousemuir on July 5th 1891 and would only have been 11 years old at the time John Hodge moved south. So they can’t be the same player.

Jimmy Hodge (who is the only James or Jimmy Hodge to have played in English League football at this time) played for Stenhousemuir, Man U, Millwall, Norwich and Southend. I can’t find any trace of him (or any other Hodge apart from John) with Celtic.

There was also a John Hodge who played for Man U around this time but he was Jimmy’s younger brother so, again, this can’t be the same player as the one with Celtic.

Q Karel Stokkemans wants information on "players who played for both Celtic and Rangers in their career."

A This question has forced us to revise an earlier answer where we said George Livingstone was the first. After what they call on the web a 'comprehensive search' but what is more accurately designated a 'wee rummage' we found that the following definitely played for both clubs:

Tom Dunbar: Celtic 1888-91, Rangers 1891-92, Celtic 1892-98
Allan Martin: Rangers 1891-92 Celtic, 1895-96
George Livingstone: Celtic 1901-02, Rangers 1907-09
Alec Bennett: Celtic 1903-08, Rangers 1908-17
Tom Sinclair: Rangers 1904-06, Celtic 1906-07
Robert Campbell: Celtic 1905-06, Rangers 1906-14
Hugh Shaw: Rangers 1905-06, Celtic 1906-07
Willie Kivlichan: Rangers 1905-07, Celtic 1907-11
David Taylor: Rangers 1906-11, Celtic 1918-19 (guest player)
Davie McLean: Celtic 1907-09, Rangers 1918-19
Scott Duncan: Rangers 1913-18 Celtic 1918-19 (guest player)
James Young: Celtic 1917-18, Rangers 1917-18
Alfie Conn Jnr Rangers 1968-74, Celtic 1977-79
Maurice Johnston Celtic 1984-87, Rangers 1989-92

There have been others - Patsy Gallacher and Charlie Tully come to mind - who have made temporary transfers of registration in order to play in benefit/charity matches but the list above consists of those who have made League or Cup appearances for both Clorinda and Thisbe (the original names of the Ugly Sisters).

My thanks to Forrest Robertson for assistance with this answer.

Q Graeme McEwan asks:"Why were Ferranti Thistle chosen as the 38th league club and did the League operate a re-election policy?'

A When the decision was made in 1974 to change from two divisions to three for the 1975-76 season it was agreed to invite a new club into membership so that the numbers would be 10-14-14. Before that the 2nd Division operated with 19 clubs - one team had a 'week off' each Saturday.

The League decided to bring the new club into the old 2nd division in 1974-75 to give them a year's experience before the new set-up came into operation.

Ferranti Thistle had the good fortune to make the third round of the Scottish Cup in 1974 so had a bit of a high profile and they were given the nod over Gala Fairydean and Inverness Thistle

Why them? The cynic might say that Pools money had something to do with it. The Pools companies paid clubs £345 per point and Ferranti were viewed as easy meat compared to a stronger Highland side. Two wins over them earned a club £1,380. For part-time 2nd division sides that covered a few players wages for the season. That, allied to the fact that Edinburgh was a more convenient journey than Inverness or the Borders appeared to clinch it.

Re-election operated until the 1930s but was dropped in 1932 after the mid-season resignations of Armadale and Bo'ness. No clubs replaced this pair and the Second Division was reduced in size from 20 clubs to 18.

After the war, clubs could apply to join the 'C' division - Stranraer and Berwick Rangers joined the League this way - without it being at the expense of other clubs.

When the C Division teams were accepted into Div 2 in 1955 this practice ceased. The only occasion for election after that and prior to Ferranti was in 1966 when Clydebank were elected (in preference to Gala and Hawick Royal Albert) to make the numbers up to 20. When Third Lanark folded at the end of 1966-67 no attempt was made to restore the numbers.

Two footnotes to the Ferranti story. Although they were forced to change their name because of the commercial connotations, it was too late for some publications. Both the Rothmans Football Yearbook and the Racing & Football Outlook Football Annual printed fixture lists with the name of Ferranti Thistle.

Secondly, and ironically in view of the role their Cup success played in winning League status, the newly-named Meadowbank Thistle didn't play in the Scottish Cup in 1974-75. Their election was too late to change the set-up to give them direct entry to the first round so they had to play in the Qualifying Cup and were beaten 4-1 at home by Selkirk.

Q Graeme also wonders "How were fixtures worked out before computer programmes?"

A Can't say for certain for the Scottish League but I think they followed the English pattern. Charles Sutcliffe, a Football League committee man of long-standing devised systems of charts for drawing up fixtures which guaranteed that if A were at home to B one season then B were at home the next. Similarly he took into account clubs proximity to each other so that if X played at home Y played away.

These were hand-drawn and objects of great secrecy (though in truth it's not that difficult to devise fixture lists as hundreds of minor leagues and other team sports like hockey and rugby prove).

Sutcliffe's charts - which were based on county cricket fixtures - were handed down to his son and they were used until he died in 1967.

Q Graeme Ross is looking for details about Morton players and asks "if you could provide appearances and goals for Jimmy Cowan, Billy Campbell and Tommy Orr."

A All these players started out in the 1946-47 season at Cappielow. Jimmy Cowan made 141 League, 28 League Cup and 22 Scottish Cup appearances before moving to Sunderland in 1953.

Billy Campbell spent the first three post-war seasons with Morton, playing 55 ties in the League and scoring 10 goals. He made ten League Cup appearances, scoring once, and eight in the Scottish Cup without scoring.

Tommy Orr was with the Greenock club until the end of 1957-58, by which time he had played 257 League matches and scored 86 times. In the League Cup he'd turned out on 56 occasions and added a further 18 goals. In the Scottish Cup he scored three times in 28 matches.