Raith Rovers 4 Airdrie 6 Help Required with Date

The place to discuss Scottish football
Red Man06

Raith Rovers 4 Airdrie 6 Help Required with Date

Post by Red Man06 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:50 pm

My first ever match attended set the standard for supporting Raith Rovers for life. How many clubs can score 4 at home and still get a gubbing? In contrast the result of my first ice-hockey match at Fife Flyers was something like Fife Flyers 27 Dunfermline Vikings 2. Obviously the Dumfies had expended too much energy in raping and pillaging to have any left to be able play hockey)! The Rovers v Airdrie match would have been around 1952 or 1953. Can any statto provide the date, scorers and attendance at that goalfest?

Thanks in anticipation

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I don't have the goalscorers but the match was a league game on September 15th 1956 and was watched by a crowd of around 10,000.

Red Man06

Thanks

Post by Red Man06 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:10 pm

Shows what a different era that was. Raith v Airdrie in 1956 with a 10,000 crowd. Many thanks

Skyline Drifter

Re: Raith Rovers 4 Airdrie 6 Help Required with Date

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:55 am

Red Man06 wrote:My first ever match attended set the standard for supporting Raith Rovers for life. How many clubs can score 4 at home and still get a gubbing? In contrast the result of my first ice-hockey match at Fife Flyers was something like Fife Flyers 27 Dunfermline Vikings 2. Obviously the Dumfies had expended too much energy in raping and pillaging to have any left to be able play hockey)! The Rovers v Airdrie match would have been around 1952 or 1953. Can any statto provide the date, scorers and attendance at that goalfest?

Thanks in anticipation
Dunfermline Vikings? :?:

Sure it wasn't Dumfries Vikings?

snazzybear

Post by snazzybear » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Just picked up Skyline Drifters quip in reply to RedMan6 while trawling the older threads.

Dunfermline Vikings Ice Hockey Club played between 1946 and 1954 so it is highly likely that the played against the Flyers in the seasons in question.

They also ran a junior club Dunfermline Royals during this period.
Snazzybear

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:30 pm

snazzybear wrote:Just picked up Skyline Drifters quip in reply to RedMan6 while trawling the older threads.

Dunfermline Vikings Ice Hockey Club played between 1946 and 1954 so it is highly likely that the played against the Flyers in the seasons in question.

They also ran a junior club Dunfermline Royals during this period.
Fair enough. That's way way way before my time obviously.

Dumfries Vikings (also known occasionally as Dumfries Border Vikings) played in the National League for a good few years in the 90's and when he referred to them a "Dumfies" too I thought it might be a slip of the mind.

Obviously not.