League Cup First Round

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

League Cup First Round

Post by Scottish » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:54 pm

Must have been a right rivetting match at Glebe Park in the battle of the Campbell brothers. 120 minutes, no goals, eight bookings and a sending-off.

Only gates above 1,000 were at Cappielow & Stark's Park. Lowest was 201 at East Fife.

It can't just be down to the Rangers game being on PPV and Man Utd & Everton both live as there were 25,000 at Norwich and just under 30,000 at Hillsborough

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:08 pm

Scheduling doesn't help. Because of the Challenge Cup kicking off the season this is the second cup competition already for a lot of non-SPL sides. None of them are going to do much in the League Cup as it's a seeded competition but the CC is wide open so if push comes to shove it makes more sense to go to a CC match.
Fifty one and counting

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:44 pm

I think that's a good point. In this day and age it's impossible to avoid a clash with live TV but there's a case for keeping the Challenge Cup till later on in the season.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:52 pm

I know it's not entirely relevent to the lower leagues, but do you think that the league cup has never really recovered from it's European place being taken away?

Hibs v Ayr United 2002, at Hampden, what was the crowd something like 10k? What is the point?
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:15 pm

I think it did affect it but as you say not at this stage of the competition. There won't be many who didn't go to New Bayview last night, saying "what's the point? We won't get into Europe anyway."

That Hibs-Ayr crowd was bigger than the semi-final I attended the year before between Killie & St Mirren. Two clubs in close proximity to Glasgow with the chance of a rare outing to a national final yet it was under 10K.

Mind you, a better date than a freeze-the-bollocks-off midweek in February would have helped.

Worst ever semi-final crowd was the 4,682 for Dundee v Killie game in 1973-74 when there WAS a European place at stake. Dundee's victory kept the 3rd placed league side out of Europe (Rangers, what a shame).

But if it was restored now, what price the SPL? Only the top two would be guaranteed a European place.

tomforsyth

Post by tomforsyth » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:16 pm

lets bring back the sectional ties and stop playing pointless uninteresting friendlies

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:24 pm

Sectional ties would be the answer to loss of home fixtures in a 16-club SPL as it would allow each team 15 league and 3 league cup home ties.

I'm not so sure about the 'lower orders' though.

Maybe they could continue as a knockout tournament until they produced four sides to meet the four SPL section winners in the quarter-finals?

Jimmy Superscot

Post by Jimmy Superscot » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:48 pm

scottish wrote:Worst ever semi-final crowd was the 4,682 for Dundee v Killie game in 1973-74 when there WAS a European place at stake.
Wsan't that caused by the 3 day week and playing the game on a midweek aftrenoon as the Hampden floodlights couldn't be used?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:56 pm

It was the 3 day week, definitely Jimmy. But it was played on a Monday night. Hampden had its own generator so was exempt from the restrictions then in place.

It was postponed a couple of times, very late on after the supporters buses had left for the game and that had an effect too.

Dundee weren't happy at having to travel to Glasgow (it would have been a different story if they'd been playing one of the OF) and Killie were in the old Second Division so all the ingredients were in place for a poor turnout.

A miserable night made worse by the chalking off of a perfectly good Eddie Morrison goal. :cry:

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:46 pm

This Romanov must be good. I see Hearts have made it to Hampden in the League Cup without even playing a game :)
Fifty one and counting