The record books of Mr J. K. McDowall

The place to discuss Scottish football
honestman

The record books of Mr J. K. McDowall

Post by honestman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:32 pm

Came across this short article in the newspapers from 1928 and wondered if anyone knew whether these records still existed, and if so where!

FOOTBALL RECORDS FOR S.F.A.

In his will, the late Mr J. K. McDowall, for forty-five years secretary of the Scottish Football Association, stated that the principal football records and books in the offices of the Association were his property, and he authorised his trustees “to sell or dispose of those records to the S.F.A. or other parties.”
It is understood that the clause did not refer to the ordinary books of the Association, but to books and documents compiled and kept by Mr McDowall as a personal hobby. These records contain reports and data regarding practically every match by every club under the jurisdiction of the Scottish Football Association during Mr McDowall’s secretaryship. It was stated on Saturday that the family intended to hand them over to the S.F.A. Offers for the collection had been made by newspapers, but these had been declined.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:03 pm

I recall reading something once - though I can't recall when where or what in - about an argument between the SFA and McDowall's family over ownership of certain documents.

If they are still in existence and remember Hampden suffered two major fires which destroyed many records, then the Museum is the obvious place to have them.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:47 pm

As far as I know, the JK McDowell papers were never given to the SFA. I've been through most of the older archives and have not seen anything that is obviously from him.

However, if the artefacts were donated, at least they would not have been lost in the Hampden fires as the SFA kept its own archives in a strongroom, latterly at Park Gardens, until everything was donated to the Scottish Football Museum following the move to Hampden in 2000.

Perhaps as a clue that the family and the SFA never reached agreement, some of McDowell's personal medals were sold, presumably by his family, at an auction in Glasgow in the early 1980s. I bought a couple of them for my own collection, one from 1882 for a tournament won by Queen's Park Hampden XI, the other a Canadian tour souvenir from 1927.