McLeish

The place to discuss Scottish football
the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:04 pm

McLeish has previous remember. He's not known down Easter Road as the Ginger Judas Prick for nothing you know. I expected better from Walter though, even with Rangers in the equation.
Fraser

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:53 pm

"When the SFA first approached me, I told them that I hoped they were not just going to ask me to see it out until the end of the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign in November this year."

"If that had been the case, then I wouldn't look as if I was committed. They said they had no intention of that. We are on the same wavelength in terms of the commitment."

Really Eck? you could have fooled me.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:50 am

http://www.hibs.net/Archive/2001News/Ja ... 054714.php
I'm here for the considerable future, it would be nice to get a trophy and achieve things at Hibs, it is all about prestige for me now, not money
Ho Ho Ho Alex
It's the Hope I can't stand

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:15 am

McLeish is notorious for opening his mouth without engaging his brain. Even so, I'm amazed he was stupid enough to publicly declare undying love for Hibs and Scotland in such a way. He must have known that he couldn't offer such guarantees. When asked about their plans, smart managers always say 'oh, I don't know if I'll still be in a job next year, bad results, etc, etc.' Martin O'Neill took it to another level when, after being rumbled talking with Leeds United whilst still at Celtic, he spun it round to it being his employer's fault - 'I didn't know if they wanted me', he sobbed [puts on sad puppy eyes].

McLeish isn't that smart, unfortunately for him.

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:47 pm

Burnie_man wrote:
Rob wrote:When Walter Smith left the Scotland job all hell broke loose, The SFA were going to do this the SFA were going to do that. Walter was a traitor and other such nonsense. Here we are again the same thing happens and not a dickie bird from the SFA, Is it because Smith went to Rangers or am I paranoid. :wink:
Even on this board some were very critical of Walter and its not being repeated here.
Let me help you out.

McLeish is a scumbag and a traitor just like Walter, he was quoted as saying when he became manager in January "I'll honour the contract", but he lasted 10 months and didn't even have the balls to resign in person, fax's Gordon Smith the letter instead in his haste to get out the door after a nice all-expenses paid trip to SA. Hope that two-bit club he went to is in the Championship next season and he's back on the managerial scrapheap where we got him from.

That better Rob?
I was only joking Mate, hence the :wink:

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:05 pm

Rob wrote:I was only joking Mate, hence the :wink:
Made me feel better anyway :lol:

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm

What was that about him being a lucky manager?

Dodgy penalty

Opposing player harshly sent off

Injury time winner

He must think this Premiership's a piece of piss
Fifty one and counting

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:06 pm

Lucky? Perhaps so. Birmingham's immediate fixture list is a dream. Of their next five in the league, three are at home - Reading, Middlesbrough, Fulham - and the two away games are at Newcastle and Bolton. Not one opponent in the top half, every game potentially winnable and the chance of perhaps even doubling their points tally by New Year.

After that it's Man U & Arsenal away followed by Chelsea at home and potentially tricky cup tie at Huddersfield sandwiched in between the visits to Old Trafford and the Emirates. But by then they have the chance to be well clear of the danger area

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:28 pm

Well, no matter what anyone may think about his move to Birmingham, I have to say the guy has class. I saw Big Eck standing in a very long taxi queue outside Newcastle Central late this afternoon with a fair bit of luggage - bag over one shoulder, suit across the other. Yet when a group of young guys approached him he put all his gear down and was happy to sign autographs and get his photo taken both individually and with the group.

That naturally drew the attention of others outside the station and he took the time to shake hands and have a brief chat with everyone who approached him.

Quite a few managers wouldn't have bothered unless the press were in attendance and a few more wouldn't have bothered - full stop. Credit where it's due.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:05 am

scottish wrote:Well, no matter what anyone may think about his move to Birmingham, I have to say the guy has class. I saw Big Eck standing in a very long taxi queue outside Newcastle Central late this afternoon with a fair bit of luggage - bag over one shoulder, suit across the other. Yet when a group of young guys approached him he put all his gear down and was happy to sign autographs and get his photo taken both individually and with the group.

That naturally drew the attention of others outside the station and he took the time to shake hands and have a brief chat with everyone who approached him.

Quite a few managers wouldn't have bothered unless the press were in attendance and a few more wouldn't have bothered - full stop. Credit where it's due.
My boss knows him reasonably well. Their sons worked together for a while in a hotel abroad. Apparently big McLeish is a top bloke even away from the public persona.

I have a lot of time for McLeish who I thought handled himself magnificently and with great dignity when dropped on from a fairly great height by David Murray. I've never been 100% convinced about his managerial skills. He got out of Hibernian and Motherwell just in time I thought before some bad managemement decisions started to reduce his stock but he did pretty well over the piece with Rangers, especially given the lack of funds relative to his predecessors and was a perfect appointment at the time with Scotland. I hope he does well with Birmingham City.