Celtic 178 Barcelona 500

The place to discuss Scottish football
lbb

Re: Celtic 178 Barcelona 500

Post by lbb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:21 am

nightfire wrote: I think Strachan was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. He got quite a bit of bad press for Celtic's approach against AC Milan at the same stage last year where they did dig in.

Bottom line as I said at the outset, the Barca performance was the best I had seen since a PSG side (that contained Paul Le Guen & Stephane Mahe) hammered Celtic 3-0
I won't disagree with you on that score - though I recall Barcelona were similarly dominant when they won 3-1 at Celtic Park in 2004. I don't want to labour the point but when PSG won at Celtic Park, much play was made by Tommy Burns that he wanted to emulate that style of football. Very noble. He went to Ajax to look at their youth structure, etc. but I wonder if Celtic are any further forward. I don't know. The same applies to Rangers BTW. The fact we've went 'back to basics' after the Le Guen/McLeish debacles would not preclude us from ever asking how we can improve our football, I'd have thought.

As for Strachan, I thought he looked genuinely gutted at FT. Whether this was with the i) result, ii) performance, iii) both, I don't know.

problemchild

Post by problemchild » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:58 pm

[quote="scottish"]That's as many home-grown players as the OF can boast COMBINED.

Rangers have McGregor, Adam, Ferguson and Burke. Celtic have McManus, Kennedy, McGeady and O'Dea.
quote]

You forgot to mention Pressley, Robson & Mark Brown :twisted:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 pm

problemchild wrote:You forgot to mention Pressley, Robson & Mark Brown :twisted:
Good one. I suppose I could have added Naismith on that score as well. Or dropped the bold Bazza from my original list.