Sub-1,000 crowds in the top division.

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:30 am

Talk about kicking a guy when he's down! And where do they get this stuff from? "Mileson's Barclays bank account at his branch in Middlesbrough is said to show the deficit of £370,000."

Do his bank statements get sent to the Sunday Mail? Or have they been rummaging through his bins?

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:47 am

I never said it was pleasant. I thought it was an optimistic statement from the Supporters Club chairman, I have to say.

The timing of their investigation is poor. Questions should have been asked about Gretna's financing a long time ago, tbh. I'd say the same about Romanov and Hearts, too.

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:26 pm

scottish wrote:Talk about kicking a guy when he's down! And where do they get this stuff from? "Mileson's Barclays bank account at his branch in Middlesbrough is said to show the deficit of £370,000."

Do his bank statements get sent to the Sunday Mail? Or have they been rummaging through his bins?
Thats my main question, who at barclays has the authority to disclose this on Mileson's behalf? If Mileson has a number of business that appears likely, its very unlikely that he has one bank account and thats it. I feel we're only being fed the part of the story which makes it look interesting

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Sub-1,000 crowds in the top division.

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:28 pm

scottish wrote:You'll note the oft-cited figure of 430 for Clydebank v Dundee United in 1977-78 is missing. That's because the figure for that game reported to the SFL was 1,030.
I wonder if the crowd figure of 431 for Gretna v Inverness CT was issued in the belief that Clydebank held the record for the lowest crowd?

At any rate that's Gretna v Dundee Utd and Gretna v ICT to be added to the list of sub-1,000 top flight gates. The only record left for them to 'beat' is the 412 for Third Lanark v Airdrieonians in 1964-65. And they only have one match to do it in. Either they will go under after the St Mirren match or if they do manage to struggle on to the end of the season there will be enough souvenir hunters and Hearts fans present for their last match to make sure the figure isn't too embarrassing.

This must be the first time a club has been happy to be handed just one home post-split fixture.

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:50 pm

scottish wrote:Either they will go under after the St Mirren match or if they do manage to struggle on to the end of the season there will be enough souvenir hunters and Hearts fans present for their last match to make sure the figure isn't too embarrassing.
Ahem, I think you mean enough loyal Hearts fans to ensure a massive turn out!

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:47 am

StAndrewsHMFC wrote:Ahem, I think you mean enough loyal Hearts fans to ensure a massive turn out!
Is Vlad going to drive them there himself? Bet he's glad he promised the players before the Killie game that he was going to attend every match until the end of the season. Still, it's not as if he hasn't broken a promise before.
Fraser

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:25 pm

the hibLOG wrote:
StAndrewsHMFC wrote:Ahem, I think you mean enough loyal Hearts fans to ensure a massive turn out!
Is Vlad going to drive them there himself? Bet he's glad he promised the players before the Killie game that he was going to attend every match until the end of the season. Still, it's not as if he hasn't broken a promise before.
Hey at least Vlad lets us go to away games, not like David Murray who bought every seat in the away end in Lisbon. Selfish Booger!

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:16 pm

StAndrewsHMFC wrote:Hey at least Vlad lets us go to away games, not like David Murray who bought every seat in the away end in Lisbon. Selfish Booger!
Has he put on a lot of weight recently?

Oh, I see. Is there some reason why Rangers fans in Lisbon is a bad idea? :wink:
Fraser

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:22 am

751 for Gretna v St. Mirren. Sad situation when you see that attendance and think 'wow, that's not bad, more than I expected.'

The fans were treated to a 0-0 classic, by all accounts. This is an action shot from the BBC which I think conveys some of the excitement that was on offer -

St. Mirren are a very powerful argument for the sudden introduction of a second relegation place this season, I have to say.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:33 am

lbb wrote: This is an action shot from the BBC.
That's the BBC which quoted an attendance figure of 7,031 in their match report, a figure also cited by Football 365, Soccerbase and - incredibly - the official SPL site!

Not one person responsible for the reports or for uploading data paused to consider just how unlikely it was that a Wednesday night match against St Mirren could produce the biggest 'home' crowd Gretna have ever attracted.

Some future historian researching Gretna's SPL season will no doubt find that figure and pay tribute to the amazing resilience of their fans in turning out in such huge numbers as the club hovered between life and death.

In the meantime I'll wait and see if Rothmans/Sky Sports lists last night as Gretna's record home gate.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:15 pm

The BBC had the correct figure when I looked. They must have changed it.

It's unbelievable that the SPL site should get it wrong. Actually, it's believable. Last year they announced the Aberdeen-Rangers match just before Christmas was being moved to the Sunday, kicking off at 00:01 am.

That was for the Australian market, I think.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:13 pm

BBC are showing the correct figure in their report but 7,031 on their 'live text.' SPL site is still showing 7,031 and weirdest of all is St Mirren's official site which has a figure of 7,031 but a reference to a three-figure crowd in the accompanying report.

I wonder if the 7,031 refers to the total capacity on the night? If only two stands were opened that could be the case.

There's a claim on Gretna Mad that 506 of the 751 present were Buddies. That sounds about right.