Tapping

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Tapping

Post by Scottish » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:27 pm

From the Sunday Herald

"RANGERS are ready to snap up Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd as a deadline day signing. Manager Alex McLeish insisted Rangers have yet to contact either the Rugby Park hierarchy or the player’s agent, Raymond Sparkes, but moves to alert the player of Ibrox interest are believed to have been made as Boyd travelled to Cardiff for his medical on an agreed £500,000 transfer in midweek – which the forward sub sequently pulled out of."

So Rangers haven't made an official approach to Killie, Boyd or his agent (spit) but made "moves to alert the player of Ibrox interest " while he was in Cardiff last week?

Cardiff and Killie agreed terms but the player pulled out after taking the trouble to go down there and undergo a medical!!!!

OK, we all know tapping goes on but this stinks. Both Killie and Cardiff have been screwed around with here.

I hope he remembers to take a cushion with him to avoid a splintered arse on the Ibrox bench.

Obviously I hope the club don't accept anything less than the Cardiff offer. They should bear in mind that although Boyd is out of contract at the end of the season he is young enough to ensure Killie receive some compensation (unless he moves abroad and if he won't go as far as Cardiff, there's fat chance of that).

Rangers have a history of shafting Killie on transfer deals going way back. Tommy McLean was transferred to them for £10,000 less than Chelsea had offered three years previously despite gaining five Scotland caps in the interim and after knocking back a move for Gordon Smith plus two players he was eventually allowed to leave for the same sum initally offered but minus the players in exchange.

I don't suppose there's much chance of the club playing hardball here but they should. OK, a transfer fee for Boyd will help keep the bank at bay but will it be any more than could be made by a high league finish and compensation? I doubt it.

And they should report this alleged "move" to inform Boyd of Rangers "interest" to the SPL and the SFA.

But I'm not holding my breath

Neiljb

Post by Neiljb » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:31 pm

Andy Webster Last month (Rangers)
Paul Hartley - Feb (Celtic)

I may be paranoid, but I think the OF love being in a position to screw with the heads of on form players. The boards agenda for this week is which club do we need to unsettle before we play them.

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:43 pm

Tapping? What tapping? If - and this is only a for instance - say, a former coach at Kilmarnock who knows the player well gave him a call last week what's wrong with that? Just two old pals chatting.

If this same former coach now happens to be employed at Ibrox, so what? Is he not allowed to talk to old pals? Is he not allowed to talk football?

Live with it. Happens all the time.
Fifty one and counting

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:18 pm

Gersman wrote:Tapping? What tapping? If - and this is only a for instance - say, a former coach at Kilmarnock who knows the player well gave him a call last week what's wrong with that? Just two old pals chatting.

If this same former coach now happens to be employed at Ibrox, so what? Is he not allowed to talk to old pals? Is he not allowed to talk football?

Live with it. Happens all the time.
Naebody wants to tap Rangers players. Funny innit? Stephen Thompson is excrement himself because his contract is up at the end of the season.

I have to say though, that the hysterical bleating by Celtic fans after Liam Miller upped and left to Manchester United was quality :)
It's the Hope I can't stand

killiebred

Post by killiebred » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:59 pm

I don't buy this. If the Huns want Boydie as a benchwarmer they can wait till his contract's up at the end of the season and get him for nothing. Doesn't make any sense spending half a mil now.