Charlie Bootland (1930s-1940s Clyde, Dumbarton, Scotland)

The place to discuss Scottish football
joey-barrel

Post by joey-barrel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:27 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:There`s a "C.BOOTLAND" in the Scottish amateur Xl vs. England @ Hampden on 12th March 1938. His club is listed as "Army". He didn`t score in a 5-2 defeat.
I did a google search on combinations of the above, but got nothing useful back. Would there be any more info. on this match ? Presumably this would be his only 'international' game?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:36 am

Scottish team was: D.White, J.Clyne, J.Bonomy, W.D.Buchanan, R.M.Cross, A.Hosie, D.Christie, J.R.Kyle (all Queen`s Park), T.McFarlane (Barnet), D.Whitehead (Kingstonian) & C.Bootland (Army). Joe Kyle & Whitehead scored the Scots` goals & the referee was M.C.Hutton of Glasgow. Perhaps David could help out with the attendance.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:34 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote: Perhaps David could help out with the attendance.
Sorry, when I was taking down the Hampden attendance figures the time factor meant I concentrated on the 'big' games.

joey-barrel

Post by joey-barrel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:27 pm

scottish wrote:
LEATHERSTOCKING wrote: Perhaps David could help out with the attendance.
Sorry, when I was taking down the Hampden attendance figures the time factor meant I concentrated on the 'big' games.
No worries, I've gotten so much more information through you guys (and gals?) than I could have ever imagined.

If Charlie was indeed no. 11 then he appears in the pathe news reel, right at the start of the match, as expected, on the left wing.

If I could only see the contents of the match programme to confirm...
Last edited by joey-barrel on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joey-barrel

Post by joey-barrel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Does anyone know who the other scorers were in the semi-final replay (Clyde - Dundee).

I've worked out that the score would have gone as follows:-

1st Half:-
Clyde 0 - 1 Dundee (Scorer for Dundee ?)
Clyde 1 - 1 Dundee (C. Bootland scoring for Clyde)
2nd Half:-
Clyde 2 - 1 Dundee (Scorer for Clyde ?)

The final:-
Team line up for Clyde was :-
Gullan , Gibson , Mennie , Campbell , Milligan , Long , Davies , Wright , Linwood , Galletly , Bootland.
Galletly scoring for Clyde.

And the scoring happened as follows (from commentary on Pathe news reel):-

Clyde - Rangers
1st Half
0 - 1 (George Young - Pen.)
0 - 2 (Williamson)
2nd Half
1 - 2 (Galletly - Clyde)
3 - 1 (George Young - Pen.)
4 - 1 (Jimmy Duncanson).

I have no Christian name for Williamson as yet.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:37 am

Dear Webmeister, You only had time for "big" games???? So Queen`s Park (plus stragglers) vs. England isn`t a big game. Sniff; I shall take my business elsewhere.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:55 am

You'll be delighted to know that "big" includes Queen's Park. What I meant was that I noted down figures from internationals the three main domestic competitions and other tournaments like the Drybrough Cup & Junior Cup Finals as well as one-offs like the Coronation Cup and European finals.

See how desperate I am to keep your trade.

charliebootland

charlie bootland

Post by charliebootland » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:47 pm

scottish wrote:Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Charles Bootland played on the left wing and started out after the war playing for Dumbarton as an amateur before signing professional forms in December 1946. He spent a period on trial with Notts County in May 1948 but was back at Boghead by the start of the 1948-49 season.

He moved to Clyde in November 1948 and, as Bobby says, played for Clyde in the team which lost the 1949 Scottish Cup Final. Charlie scored twice in the competition. Once was in the opening round but his second strike was far more important when he notched the equaliser against Dundee in the semi-final replay at Hampden. Clyde went on to win 2-1.

In September 1950 he joined Kilmarnock but had the misfortune to break his collarbone on his debut for Killie in a league match away to Dundee United on September 30th 1950. The injury kept him out for two months but he returned and was a fairly regular performer for the rest of that season. Chances were fewer the next term and he left Rugby Park for Dundee United in either March/April (sources conflict) 1952.

His next port of call was Leith Athletic in September 1952. He then dropped out of league football, joining Duns – where he remained for two seasons – in August 1953.

All told Charles Bootland made 106 appearances in first class football, scoring 40 goals. These were broken down as follows:

Scottish League 79A 31G (18A, 6G in ‘A’ Division, 61A, 25G in ‘B’ Division)
Scottish Cup 8A 3G
League Cup 17A 6G
Other 2A 0G

The ‘other’ appearances were in the B Division Supplementary Cup.

I can’t trace anything about a POW ‘international’ or a cigarette card though football matches were pretty common in POW camps and Charlie was definitely of the era when players appeared on cigarette cards.

Hope this helps.
Hi I am Charlie Bootland Jnr you will no doubt be receiving e mails from my sister Linda about my dad.
I can remember an article in the Old Green Edinburgh Evening News Sports paper that was issued every Saturday Evening. The paper became ~The Pink~(think it was called something else way back in 40`s) that Celtic wanted to sign my dad, The headlines was Bootland for Celtic
If I can provide any other info no problem. He did play No.11. I had his old Kilmarnock shirt when I was at School in the 60`s however it was ripped off my back when I was forced to play rugby not preferred by me.
my e mail is cb01r7787@blueyonder.co.uk.
Unfortunately dad left football in early 50`s for financial reasons bringing up 4 kids was expensive. My sister has football photos of my dad in the POW camp.
hear from you soon hopefully
Junior

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi Charlie, thanks for your message and welcome to the forum. Your sister has indeed written and I will be replying to her this afternoon.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:01 am

Confirmation from Linda Bootland - Charlie's daughter - that her father captained a Scotland team v England in a POW match on April 23rd 1944. He scored twice in a 4-2 win for Scotland. Linda has a photo of the teams with names on the back.

charliebootland

charlie bootland

Post by charliebootland » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:02 pm

I am in possession of the 1949 Cup Final programme however it must have been printed ealier as my dad`s name is not on team sheets.
I also have other memorabillia of his including his sfa membership book and letters regarding his signing on fee of 20 pounds when he joined Clyde from Dumbarton. There are also clippings from local papers about him. If you need to know more,let me know.

CVB Jnr

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 am

Linda has sent me the teams for the POW game as follows:

SCOTLAND

THOMPSON / MUNRO / FRASER / MANDERSON / CHENEY / SYMINGTON / FITZGERALD / HAWTHORNE / PATERSON / MENZIE / CAPTAIN CHARLIE BOOTLAND

ENGLAND / WORREL / VERITY / SMITH / KIMBER / LAWERANCE / COOK / LAURIE / NEALE / BLANKIN / WALKER / CAPTAIN WILKINS

The game was played in Stalag 383 which Linda thinks was in Bavaria.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:30 pm

Near Munich.