Awards

The place to discuss Scottish football
lbb

Awards

Post by lbb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:18 am

How many players have won both Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards in the same season as 22-year-old Celtic starlet Aiden McGeady has just done? I'm thinking you would need to have had quite an exceptional season to have won both and so it can't have happened too often, I suspect.

Interesting decision to give Billy Reid Manager of the Year, too. I say 'interesting' in the context of 'incorrect'.

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:45 pm

There are those among the Rangers support who feel the awards were handed out for other reasons rather than Football. I must admit I do love a good conspiracy theory. I hear the Rangers team were not in attendance and when McGreadys name was announced as the player of the year some people got up and walked out. No one can deny the lads had a good season but better than Carlos I'm not so sure.

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:30 am

I didn't know that about people walking out.

It's obviously a matter of opinion and McGeady undoubtedly has been one of Celtic's better players this season but it seems a very strong failure of imagination to submit the same name for both categories. You would need to have had a colossal season for that to happen, in my book. As I said, I'm not sure how often it's happened in the past but even McGeady must have been embarrassed at collecting both awards.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:32 pm

One of the problems with awards is that the deadline for nominations is well before the end of the season. Imagine the Oscars being determined while films were still in production.

Still, it says something about the quality of this season that Rangers fans are up in arms because it hasn't gone to a defender who was distinctly average in Spain. I'm in Barcelona this week and I've asked a few folk about him. I'm afraid he's very much Carlos Quién?

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 am

Did Andy Gray not win both awards in England? Aiden has had a good season and I wont grudge him his award and Im sure he will thank Mr Hutton for leaving when he did.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:06 am

Didn't Shaun Maloney win both awards in 2006

lbb

Post by lbb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:26 am

scottish wrote: Still, it says something about the quality of this season that Rangers fans are up in arms because it hasn't gone to a defender who was distinctly average in Spain. I'm in Barcelona this week and I've asked a few folk about him. I'm afraid he's very much Carlos Quién?
If Barcelona people are ignorant about a Spaniard who played for 6 years in that country then I would suggest it also says something about them. That the Spanish League is superior to the Scottish League is without question. That Carlos Cuellar has strolled through the Scottish League season is without question.

We used to get the same nonsense about Lorenzo Amoruso. "[chuckle] he's not exactly Paolo Maldini, is he?" No, he wasn't - if he was, he wouldn't have been playing in Scotland.
nightfire wrote:Didn't Shaun Maloney win both awards in 2006
Did he? I liked Maloney but, again, it's stretching it to give him both awards. You need a season of Larsson 2001 or Laudrup 1997 proportions for that kind of recognition, imo. With the best will in the world, neither player can claim to have reached that level.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Not so much ignorant, more on a par with OF knowledge of defenders at Falkirk or Inverness.

lbb

Post by lbb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:52 pm

scottish wrote:Not so much ignorant, more on a par with OF knowledge of defenders at Falkirk or Inverness.
You mean like Darren Barr, Grant Munro, Ross Tokeley, Kenny Milne? :roll:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Players of the Year - one and all. But yes, that's about the equivalent. When OF fans start discussing the merits of the aforementioned on a regular basis, know the ins and outs of their game, can pick them out in a police line-up then perhaps you have a case for calling the Barca fans ignorant.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:43 am

scottish wrote:Players of the Year - one and all. But yes, that's about the equivalent. When OF fans start discussing the merits of the aforementioned on a regular basis, know the ins and outs of their game, can pick them out in a police line-up then perhaps you have a case for calling the Barca fans ignorant.
You said the Barcelona people had never even heard of Cuellar let alone held any knowledge of his game?

It's curious. Cuellar played in Spain for some years, played against Barcelona twice earlier this season (including being part of a defence that kept their much-hyped forward line out), is presently in a European semi-final against top Serie A opposition and has won a Player of the Year award in another country yet you say the Barcelona folk have never even heard of the name. And you seem to attribute this not to some ignorance and arrogance on their part but a demonstration of their sophistication and intelligence. Not the way I see it, I have to say.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:51 am

Aye, it's weird. For some unfathomable reason when they talk about fitba they keep going on about guys like Messi, Deco, Ronaldinho, Bojan, Iniesta etc. They're just not up to speed on the Rangers line-up at all.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:42 am

scottish wrote:Aye, it's weird. For some unfathomable reason when they talk about fitba they keep going on about guys like Messi, Deco, Ronaldinho, Bojan, Iniesta etc. They're just not up to speed on the Rangers line-up at all.
That's odd considering, apart from anything else, they played against us twice this season. I could name at least 2 or 3 players from every side we've faced in Europe this season. If I couldn't, I wouldn't be swaggering about going 'ye know whit, I couldnae tell ye anyhin aboot them' and expecting instant respect and admiration from tourists for such a statement.

Each to their own.

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:31 pm

Who are Barcelona :?:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:52 pm

lbb wrote: I could name at least 2 or 3 players from every side we've faced in Europe this season. If I couldn't, I wouldn't be swaggering about going 'ye know whit, I couldnae tell ye anyhin aboot them' and expecting instant respect and admiration from tourists for such a statement.

Each to their own.
Maybe they don’t know much about the players because the Rangers supporters made such an impact. There’s a row between the city council and FC Barcelona over the bill for extra security for the Man Utd game. As the current edition of ‘Catalonia Today’ puts it

“This all goes back to last winter’s visit by the lovely hooligans of Glasgow Rangers who turned placa Catalonia into a public latrine. Since then the city has assumed that all football fans are some lowly species of beasts and lured them with big screen TVs and beer into specially constructed corrals so as to avoid any unpleasantries. And of course the costs have begun to add up after successive visits of Celtic, Schalke and now Manchester.

While I have little sympathy for any theoretical financial difficulties FCB could possibly allege, I can not get over the feeling that the original sin in all this was not actually enforcing the law when the Rangers fans took debauchery to new illegal heights.”