Awards

The place to discuss Scottish football
fatbhoy

Post by fatbhoy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Probably for the same reason no major Spanish teams showed any interest in Cuellar last year, his fellow countrymen remain oblivious to his obvious charms. Maybe once 'Ugly Betty' starts getting shown on Spanish state telly interest in her footballing equivalent will revive.

No surprise that McGeady's all round improvement in his game was acknowledged by his fellow pros - they've been doubling up on him for a while now and still can't pin him down. Wonder who Kirk Broadfoot voted for???

Another defeat for anti-football - you've got to love it :twisted:
"In the hall of fame of the football game there's a name that stands alone . . ."

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:24 am

scottish wrote: Maybe they don’t know much about the players because the Rangers supporters made such an impact.
Oh, those evil Rangers fans. Where's the United Nations when you need them? :twisted:
scottish wrote:“This all goes back to last winter’s visit by the lovely hooligans of Glasgow Rangers who turned placa Catalonia into a public latrine...........actually enforcing the law when the Rangers fans took debauchery to new illegal heights.”

It's a heartbreaker alright.

Innocent Spanish reporter flees from Rangers rapist -

Ibrox fans in 'babies for sale' racket -

Ibrox con artists fleece innocent Barca locals in games scam -

Anyway, can the Spaniards talk? This is George Square, Glasgow after the 2007 UEFA Cup Final -

Oh, the humanity!

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:29 am

fatbhoy wrote: No surprise that McGeady's all round improvement in his game was acknowledged by his fellow pros
I would suggest it would need to be an amazing improvement to win both awards. Winning both should only be reserved for exceptional seasons - and with the best will in the world McGeady has not had an exceptional season.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:31 pm

Their faces are better looking than the ones normally on display. Anyway, these poor deluded folk over here were denied that gripping encounter at Ibrox last night. The live match shown was the other UEFA semi - the one with goals, missed penalties, action and excitement.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:33 pm

scottish wrote:Their faces are better looking than the ones normally on display. Anyway, these poor deluded folk over here were denied that gripping encounter at Ibrox last night. The live match shown was the other UEFA semi - the one with goals, missed penalties, action and excitement.
And BTW I never 'wrote' anything, I was quoting from a weekly English-language Catalan newspaper

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:51 pm

scottish wrote:Their faces are better looking than the ones normally on display.
I'm no expert on male beauty, I admit. :lol:
scottish wrote:Anyway, these poor deluded folk over here were denied that gripping encounter at Ibrox last night. The live match shown was the other UEFA semi - the one with goals, missed penalties, action and excitement.

Yes, a penalty and an own goal - sounded a cracker.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:50 am

Let me see - one game had 36 attempts on goal, the other had thirteen. Fourteen efforts on target in one and three in the other. Goalkeepers made thirteen saves in one match, just three in the other. One game produced eleven corners and the other just five. Any idea which was which?

If only those Spaniards had known the great Cuellar was playing

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:22 am

scottish wrote:Let me see - one game had 36 attempts on goal
Which game was that?

The other two semi-finals - the holier-than-thou Barcelona v Man Utd and Liverpool v Chelsea - followed a similar pattern to the Rangers-Fiorentina game - dour, stuffy, tense, not much goalmouth action. It's the European semi-finals, not the Tennents Sixes.
scottish wrote:If only those Spaniards had known the great Cuellar was playing
It's a curious Scottish tradition to run down players playing in our leagues.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:05 pm

lbb wrote:
scottish wrote:Let me see - one game had 36 attempts on goal
Which game was that?

The other two semi-finals
Strange. I thought all you knowledgeable Gers fans would have been aware there were THREE other semi-finals last week. I refer of course to the match between Bayern Munich and Zenit - the winners of which will just happen to meet Rangers should they make the final.

A small detail, I know. But I would have thought an important one.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:44 pm

scottish wrote: Strange. I thought all you knowledgeable Gers fans would have been aware there were THREE other semi-finals last week. I refer of course to the match between Bayern Munich and Zenit - the winners of which will just happen to meet Rangers should they make the final.

A small detail, I know. But I would have thought an important one.
In the context of the discussion - such as it is - where two semi-finals had been mentioned, it was perfectly legitimate to refer to 'the other two semi-finals' (the two UEFA Cup semi-finals having already been compared).

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:47 pm

Argue like a Philadelphia lawyer all you want. The fact remains you asked which game produced 36 attempts on goal then proceeded to talk about the "other two" matches.

If you already knew the Bayern-Zenit game was vastly more entertaining then maybe you should have said so.

Anyway, here's an easy one. Of the eight teams in action in European competition last week which was the only one not to recrod a single shot on target.

Clue: don't go looking at the away teams or sides from Germany, England or Spain.

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 am

scottish wrote: Anyway, here's an easy one. Of the eight teams in action in European competition last week which was the only one not to recrod a single shot on target.
It is immensely satisfying to know that Rangers appearing in a European semi-final is causing you so much heartache.

Keep clutching.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:20 am

lbb wrote: It is immensely satisfying to know that Rangers appearing in a European semi-final is causing you so much heartache
Looks like the paranoia is spreading across the city. Never knew it was contagious.

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:25 am

So what did the Barcelona folk say about their own semi-final? Or Man Utd's tactics?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:39 am

Barca fans I've spoken to are split. Half think they should have won easily last week and have no chance tonight while the other half think they should have won easily but have blown it because they didn't. Almost all attribute Man Utd's poor performance as being down to Barca's abilities, not Utd's frailties and that was reflected in the press coverage as well - the first 25 pages of Mundo Deportivo for instance the day after the game. I am constantly amazed as to how the Spanish press can find so much space in which to talk about 90 minutes.

All display that irritating habit of calling their opponents by the wrong name - i.e. they are referred to as simply Manchester just as most people in the UK wrongly talk about AC Milan.

I mentioned to an Espanyol fan last night that I supported a Scottish club with similar colours to those of this team (meaning blue and white stripes). You'll be delighted to know that he replied " Ah, so you are a Rangers supporter."