Chris Robertson

The place to discuss Scottish football
starman

Chris Robertson

Post by starman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:07 pm

Can anyone provide any information on the Rangers career of Chris Robertson who played with the club in the late 1970s before moving onto Hearts? I'm just looking to know if he played many games and was involved in the winning of any of the trophies Rangers collected during his spell there or if he never got beyond the reserves. Thanks.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:39 am

By my reckoning, he made his Rangers debut on November 30th 1976 against Partick Thistle at Firhill and his final appearance against Clyde at Ibrox on September 1st 1979. In total, he managed 13 starting appearances and 9 substitute appearances in that time. He does not appear to have been anything other than a fringe player at the club at that time - his best run being 4 consecutive starts in January/February 1977. He did come on as a substitute in the 1977 Scottish Cup Final defeat to Celtic.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:27 am

Wasn't he John Robertson of Hearts elder brother?

Didn't he go on to play for Bonnyrigg Rose too?
It's the Hope I can't stand

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:58 am

Yes to the first question and no idea to the second, Bobby.

starman

Post by starman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 pm

He did play for Bonnyrigg Rose. That is close to the reason I was asking. I have a website dedicated to the history of Newtongrange Star FC and Chris Robertson had two spells with the club so I wanted to create a small profile of his career.

Thanks for all your help.

If you are interested the website is located at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/newtongrangestar/

LLD

Post by LLD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:51 pm

Chris played 105 times for Meadowbank, scoring 25 goals across all competitions.

He had two spells with Thistle and I am fairly sure that the first spell (1982-83) was on loan from Hearts.

The second was from 1984-1987 before he left for Berwick.

Townfan

Post by Townfan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:50 am

For some reason, Chris Robertson is called Sandy Jardine in the 1974-75 team photo. I assume it was because Sandy Jardine was still on holiday after the World Cup, although I dob't know why they didn't just insert a photo of him underneath.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:59 am

starman wrote:He did play for Bonnyrigg Rose. That is close to the reason I was asking. I have a website dedicated to the history of Newtongrange Star FC and Chris Robertson had two spells with the club so I wanted to create a small profile of his career.

Thanks for all your help.

If you are interested the website is located at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/newtongrangestar/
I've looked at your website in the last couple of weeks whilst trying to gather information on former Hibs players - a fine piece of work if you don't mind me saying.

I got threatened with a slap round the chops at the Dean the other week for suggesting that Bonnyrigg Rose were better than Nitten seeing as Nitten had never won the Scottish - your site put me right on that - even if it was a long long time ago.

Dissappointing season for Nitten, so close to a super league place, and I've resolved to visit New Victoria Park next season seeing as I live two minutes walk away and to give Budgie some abuse :)
It's the Hope I can't stand