Name changes for 2008-09

The place to discuss Scottish football
BMCCOLL

Name changes for 2008-09

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Came across this on another forum-

"According to various reports Stranraer Athletic have resigned from the South of Scotland League. Dumfries FC will be changing their name to Heston Rovers from next season.

In the East Seniors it seems that Edinburgh Athletic will now be Leith Athletic having been absorbed by the Amateur club of that (famous) name. I would imagine they will continue to play at Muirhouse, although Leith Athletic have their own club rooms and HQ on Leith Links. Lothian Thistle may also be changing their name for next season.

Spartans new ground will be called Ainslie Park - a name that will strike fear into the hearts of Edinburghers of a certain vintage! "

Heston Rovers rings a bell, but for the life of me I can't place it!!!

The second point is veeery intersesting. How long after the original Leith's demise was this club formed?

As for Ainslie Park, can anyone enlighten me?

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:19 pm

This was posted by the new chairman of Stranraer Athletic on another forum -

I have just taken over as the new Chairman of Stranraer Athletic, my names is Nick Arkless and I own The Swan Inn, Stranraer. We have had to withdraw from the league for various reason. No doubt the rumour mill will be going into overdrive.

Firstly can we dispell any rumours of financial hardship, the club was and is run very well with one of the best lottoprey draws in southern amateur football. The club could have continued into next season but a manager, a chairman and a treasurer were not to be found in time. Even though an advert was placed into the local press with a virtualy nil response.

The club has now moved on and even with no Southern league football on offer we will have a busy year.

Over the Next three weeks the club will be profiled in the local rag (The Free Press)

There will be a Race NIght held next month in aid of the club and is designed to honour all the players who have made Stranraer Athletic one of the most successful clubs in the region of ver the last 13 years (9 honours including a 3 in a row run)

We, the committe, woudl ask that if you have any ties to the club to make yourself heard and make enough demand so that we can contiune to play next season (by this I mean a Sunday League team and a Sixes team in the local winter league)

"But everybody please rest assured that the fall from Grace will be short lived and we will return bigger, better and refocused after a years sabatical.

If any one on the board is interested in helping Stranraer Athletic through this lul in our proud history we would love to hear from you. Contact me at the Swan (Tel 01776702973), through The P&B forum or at theswanstranraer@aol.com

Any questions and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Cheers

Nick"

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:08 pm

On a similar vein, I see Stirling University have been accepted as members of the East of Scotland League for next season while Hutchison Vale were again rejected. Just wondering whether, being effectively a senior club, the students will be considered part of the Stirlingshire FA and therefore eligible for the Stirlingshire Cup?
With Falkirk staging a number of reserve and youth matches at the Stirling University ground, will it be of a standard eligible for full SFA membership and with it, entrance to the Scottish Cup?

Skyline Drifter

Re: Name changes for 2008-09

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:26 am

BMCCOLL wrote:Heston Rovers rings a bell, but for the life of me I can't place it!!!
Heston Rovers are a Dumfries based youth football club. They've been around for decades and have just put up new changing rooms at their ground in Dumfries. I presume they've now merged with Dumfries senior team.

prorege

Post by prorege » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 am

Leith Athletic were formed in 1996.

Ainslie Park was where you went if you lived in North Edinburgh and didn't exactly trouble the marker of the 11+ exam. Many of its students regarded it as a 'badge of honour' to be Ainslie Parkers.

Regarding Stirling University, I presume that as EOSL members they will definitely play in the League Cup. The King, Image Printers and Alex Jack Cup now seem to embrace all EOSL clubs except Annan and Dalbeattie. At one time some of these, at least, were reserved for SFA member clubs. Stirling University's status is rather unclear - geographically they should be in the Stirlingshire / Dunbartonshire group, but in practice it would be more sensible to be in the East of Scotland group. Regardless, they are not included in the 2008/9 Stirlingshire Cup.

It's just another example of the shambolic organisational structure of Scottish football.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:20 am

Stirling University will be delighted at getting into the East of Scotland League, but won't be applying for SFA membership (or Stirlingshire FA) in the foreseeable future, as the ground does not even come close to meeting the criteria.

The team will be looking to rise to the ESL Premier Division fairly quickly, as for the coming season they are introducing football scholarships (the first Scottish university to do so) and will employ a professional coach. Their close links with Falkirk, whose new training centre on the campus is now open, will also have considerable benefits.

LLD

Post by LLD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that Raleigh Gowrie, late of Spartans is heading up Stirling Uni's scholarship programme.