THE WEE RED BOOK

The place to discuss Scottish football
LEATHERSTOCKING

THE WEE RED BOOK

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:19 am

Summer`s officially over, The Wee Red Book`s out.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:31 am

Another sure sign is the dismal home performance in Europe v modest opposition.

Has the WRB managed to include Annan? Or is this one destined to be a collector's item along the lines of some 1974-75 annuals which had 'new club' or 'Ferranti Thistle?'

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 am

Include Annan Athletic? You must be having a jape; "Club X" marks the spot. It doesn`t have Spain`s European triumph either. It has, however, dropped "OVERSEAS GAMES" from its international section. It has a curious priorities sequence where Clydesdale Monthly Awards follows immediately the comi ng season`s fixtures then Reserve League tables then the 2007-08 Youth Cup results then Womens Premier League table then league Top Scorers (including I`ly, England, France & other leading nations`then Scotland`s managers since Andy Beattie before it gets to the one a page club section (thank god the Lesbian & Gay switchboard advert is still sandwiched in there) before we come to the league & Cup winners, competitons, list of players honoured ("...against the Home Countries and against foreign nations." - quaint, eh?). It`s edited by Fraser Gibson & Stuart Sandler. Anyone know them?

Hampden Diehard

Post by Hampden Diehard » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Fraser Gibson is a QP fan and works on the Times sports desk.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:02 am

Well, good on the editors, they`ve made the other changes in the Internationa Appearances section brought about by the reinstatement of the 1946 games vs. Belgium & Switzerland as full Internationals and dropped poor Charlie Cox from the list. However, they`ve missed George Young`s substitute appearance vs. Belgium. The price hike from £3 last year to an inflation busting £3.50 isn`t funny.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:53 am

£3-50? That's painful. I know this might be heresy in some quarters but I'm not sure what purpose the WRB serves any more other than as a collector's item.

It's no longer a convenient size for carrying around. All of the information inside is readily obtainable elsewhere. And price-wise it is no longer economical. It used to be about 8% of the cost of 'Rothmans.' Now it's more like 30%.

The Internet is having an effect on football annuals. I see that the NOTW is struggling to find a sponsor for their annual which has existed under various names for 121 years.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:34 pm

It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. It`s always the 1st annual of the season so I read through it but it`s been an also ran since Rothemans started nearly 40 years ago and I buy it for the simple reason that it`s a tradition going back to when I was a wee red boy - 6d was within my pocket money range and look everyone, I have a book!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 pm

I never bought it every year as a kid. My father ran a pub so there were always plenty of copies of the White Horse Football Guide available. Always plenty of White Horse as well but that's another story.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:26 am

I see the hardback edition of 'Rothmans' is down for publication on August 9th according to Amazon. No word on the softback but presumably it's the same day.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:33 pm

It`s a crying shame the Scottish Football League Revue is gone. Surely Irn Bru could put in a few bob to let David Thomson resurect it.