Broadcasting legend Crampsey dies

The place to discuss Scottish football
StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Next curiosity question. What were the other 3 Edinburgh grounds in 1939?
Wow a question that I can answer on here!

Royal Gymnasium- St Bernard's, claimed a capacity of 40k, the biggest attendance was I think 27,000 for a 2nd Division league game v Hibs (although the webmaster here rubbishes that in his book the roar of the crowd)

Meadowbank- Leith Athletic- I think this is the same as the current one off the top of my head, but Leith moved from Meadowbank to Old Meadowbank and back again (renaming it 'New' Meadowbank) around the 2nd world war. Incidentally I believe that Leith used at least 10 different 'home' grounds for league matches, which could well be a record.

City (or East Pilton) Park- Edinburgh City, easily the smallest venue, for easily the poorest league team from the city (if not Scotland). This ground still survived relatively untouched till the late 90's when the stand was knocked down. Still used by Spartans and Craigroyston for East of Scotland league games, although Spartans are due to move in the autumn across the street

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:49 am

Bob Crampsey tribute broadcast on Radio Scotland on Saturday, 2 August -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7538396.stm

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Many thanks for the link. Great stuff - and I sympathise re the Philips screwdriver!

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm

lbb wrote:Bob Crampsey tribute broadcast on Radio Scotland on Saturday, 2 August -

Not sure how long it stays there, I've saved it as an 'mp3'.

Bob Crampsey tribute
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

upthewell

Post by upthewell » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Sat31March1928 wrote:
lbb wrote:Bob Crampsey tribute broadcast on Radio Scotland on Saturday, 2 August -

Not sure how long it stays there, I've saved it as an 'mp3'.

Bob Crampsey tribute
You're a gent - cheers.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: Broadcasting legend Crampsey dies

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Out of curiosity, who`s got all Bob`s stuff now?

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm pretty sure his books went to auction after his death - I remember reading about his cricket collection going under the hammer, somewhere in Glasgow.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:00 pm

I wonder what is going to happen to all the Scottish League material. Will it just be boxed up and stuck in a Hampden cupboard?

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I had logged-in to float the very same question myself!! Is any SFL material of historical interest* already lodged with the Museum? If not, may it end-up being handed over to SPL? I know that various people over the years have commented that SFL has tended to be more "approachable" and helpful than SFL when it came to accessing info and stats and suchlike, so such material might conceivably become less easy to get ahold of.

You'd also think some of the existing SFL staff will continue working for SPFL for a long time to come, although today's Scotsman notes that "Longmuir's future, and that of the other five full-time members of staff, is now uncertain. It is understood their contracts will be transferred over to the SPFL but it remains to be seen if there will be long-term positions for all of them".

*although of course what is contemporary now will itself have become historical in 20/30/40yrs time

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 pm

I don't think you need to worry on that front. When the SFA and SFL moved to Hampden ten years ago, the Museum was given the opportunity to take large amounts of archive material and it's available to researchers.

Even since then, with limited storage space on the top floor of Hampden, whenever there is a clearout the Museum can take it (or leave it). So if there is a further need to downsize following the merger/takeover, I think they will be sensible about storing the interesting bits for posterity.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:54 pm

So, we don`t know who`s got all Bob`s football stuff including all the JAYMAK files he inherited?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:32 pm

ScottishFA wrote:I don't think you need to worry on that front. When the SFA and SFL moved to Hampden ten years ago, the Museum was given the opportunity to take large amounts of archive material and it's available to researchers.

Even since then, with limited storage space on the top floor of Hampden, whenever there is a clearout the Museum can take it (or leave it). So if there is a further need to downsize following the merger/takeover, I think they will be sensible about storing the interesting bits for posterity.
Yes, I've had great assistance from the Museum in the past - and to fair, from David Thomson at the SFL as well. But I recall - and I'm sure Forrest will too - that when he and I were researching the centenary Hampden book that a lot of material was stuck in a warehouse in Maryhill. Whether that's still the case I don't know.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:24 pm

On the subject of David Thomson - today's Scotsman reports that he has lost-out to the SPL's Ian Blair in the reorganisation which has followed the transition to the SPFL, and has presumably been made redundant with Blair taking-on the post of SPFL Secretary. It says that Thomson had worked at the SFL for over 30yrs and as well as having sympathy at someone losing their job after such a long time in an organisation, one can only hope for Blair and the rest of the SPFL staff to provide the same help and assistance that David Thomson has for researchers and 'stat' enquirers. David Longmuir and Geraldine Walsh have also moved on.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:28 pm

I can't find this on The Scotsman site. Do you have a link? Agree entirely with what you say and I would like to write to David directly but need confirmation first. With every appointment made it becomes even clearer this is definitely a takeover. I don't think there's been a single instance in which there has been direct competition between a former SFL employee and and SPL one in which the former has been successful.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:53 pm

scottish wrote:I don't think there's been a single instance in which there has been direct competition between a former SFL employee and and SPL one in which the former has been successful.
I agree, but with reservations.

I disagree with the invective towards Neil Doncaster [Not on this site, btw], he is a spokesman, not a rulemaker. I never thought I would say something like this, but not enough 'football people' are being elected. Marketing/Spin Doctors have their place but in order to fix our game we need more people who have been involved in the game for a long time.

But I don't mean another media favourite who has played for Rangers/Celtic for 15-20 years, I mean like Greame Alexander [he must have picked up some knowledge during his career]

just a thought.