Post by Sat31March1928 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:01 pm

1897 now up

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/imag ... /1897.html

220 days covered 1000+ pages
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 am

Great stuff as always Davy. Excellent resource for historians.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 am

I've jumped forward a couple of years 1900 is now up

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/imag ... /1900.html

The impact of the Boer War can be seen, I think, through squeezed coverage in that there are only 800 odd pages compared to 1000+ in earlier years.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:17 pm

As opposed to the 'Bore War' that precedes every OF match in the press.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:57 am

1899 up

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/imag ... /1899.html

I've added the Div 1, Div 2 and Scottish Cup games to each 'date' so you can see the games played on that day.

1890 to 1900 is now 'complete'.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:34 am

The Mighty Atom

Post by The Mighty Atom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:46 pm

Just gets better and better!! :)

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm looking to save various articles from the SDA.

How are articles saved and then displayed here

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:18 pm

nightfire wrote:I'm looking to save various articles from the SDA.

How are articles saved and then displayed here
Just drag and drop the article to save it to your hard drive then give it a name. You can then edit to cut out extraneous material or separate important events ocurring on the same day into separate files. For instance I organise mine into folders as follows - newspaper title > year > month > day > day a, day b, day c etc. I keep a separate Word file for each year with 'highlighted' events listed by day of publication (important to remember for matches this is either one or two days after the actual match).

I'm sure there are other approaches, probably easier and better ones but that's the way I started so I'm stuck with it.

By display here, do you mean on this website? if so then the file needs to be uploaded just like any other and linked to either as an image or url.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:54 pm

What I have done is

1. Open the article
2. Right click and "save picture as" (e.g. Test)
3. Open file named "Test" in MS Paint
4. Highlight part of article I want to keep
5. Copy that part to Microsoft Word and save

When I do this from the Glasgow Herald step 2 copies across the whole column from the newspaper. However, when I do this from the Scotsman it only copies across part of the article and that's my problem.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Try just dragging and dropping the article. They should then appear as .png files. On my Macbook these open by default in Preview (also the built-in default for pdf) but I have them set to be opened in an application called Graphic Converter which I use to convert the files to jpgs. I also use Graphic Converter to edit the files by extracting relevant or deleting extraneous material.

I've never used MS Paint and I have no idea why you would want to copy to Word. I suspect you need a different app to open the files initially. Someone who uses Windows as their standard OS (I only use when necessary so am not up to speed with it) should be able to tell you which.

But there is another problem with The Scotsman which you'll see from looking at LondonHearts and that's that they have broken down their content into smaller files so one match report for example could consist of three or four files as opposed to The Herald's one for the whole column or even page.

Here's the match report for England v Scotland in 1938. The report starts on page 8 and continues to page 25. That's 18 individual files for one match report

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 pm

scottish wrote:Try just dragging and dropping the article. They should then appear as .png files. On my Macbook these open by default in Preview (also the built-in default for pdf) but I have them set to be opened in an application called Graphic Converter which I use to convert the files to jpgs. I also use Graphic Converter to edit the files by extracting relevant or deleting extraneous material.

I've never used MS Paint and I have no idea why you would want to copy to Word. I suspect you need a different app to open the files initially. Someone who uses Windows as their standard OS (I only use when necessary so am not up to speed with it) should be able to tell you which.

But there is another problem with The Scotsman which you'll see from looking at LondonHearts and that's that they have broken down their content into smaller files so one match report for example could consist of three or four files as opposed to The Herald's one for the whole column or even page.
Here's the match report for England v Scotland in 1938. The report starts on page 8 and continues to page 25. That's 18 individual files for one match report
That's my problem and this explains it for me. I will just have to work with the extra files.

Thanks for your help

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:50 am

nightfire wrote:
scottish wrote:Try just dragging and dropping the article. They should then appear as .png files. On my Macbook these open by default in Preview (also the built-in default for pdf) but I have them set to be opened in an application called Graphic Converter which I use to convert the files to jpgs. I also use Graphic Converter to edit the files by extracting relevant or deleting extraneous material.

That's my problem and this explains it for me. I will just have to work with the extra files.

Thanks for your help
If you use the fireshot add on for firefox you can capture the entire page. You then have to crop the page.

see

http://screenshot-program.com/fireshot/

If only I'd known about this earlier

Full page fromm 1878

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:46 pm

Excellent. Downloaded that for IE