Is Martin Bain a twat or is the Rangers 5% fair for away

The place to discuss Scottish football
StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 am

Rob wrote:Clubs start talking about unfair this and the old firm are trying to fleece us again I think they need to take a good look in the mirror. They have fleeced Old Firm fans for years with inflated ticket prices.
Too wrongs make a right then?

Old firm fans are on a weak footing complaining about pricing and then paying. If its too expensive- DON'T BUY THE STUPID TICKET ( I might be trying this tactic on my next gas bill...)

Incidently if you think its too expensive now, just wait till the clubs that have consented wise up and put the 5% charge on the price of the away tickets due to extra administrative charges incurred. They could argue that they are no longer selling the same tickets for the same seats as for home fans, as the seperate administrative route they are force to take, they are incurring extra expense in distributing away tickets; it is only sensible to pass these charges on to the customer- the of fans

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Rob wrote:Clubs start talking about unfair this and the old firm are trying to fleece us again I think they need to take a good look in the mirror. They have fleeced Old Firm fans for years with inflated ticket prices.
Do you pay the same for Champions League tickets as you do for a SPL fixture against Gretna? As far as I'm aware the 'Category A' games designated by Hibs were never exclusively Old Firm, but included Hearts and Aberdeen fixtures at least. Clubs everywhere have charged different prices to fans for different games.

Charging back to the home clubs, however, is a deliberate tactic to eat into their profitability. It's nothing to do with pricing according to supply and demand.
Fraser

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:31 pm

http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/index.a ... 2008&cd1=7

Dundee United say they have been forced to accept the arrangement by Celtics refusal to negotiate. However they will review the situation after this game.

I have alot of sympathy with Dundee United, they've been pretty shafted over this

The Mighty Atom

Post by The Mighty Atom » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:59 pm

scottish wrote:
the hibLOG wrote:I would actually like to see some clubs simply refuse to sell any tickets to the Old Firm. In the case of Hibs and Hearts at least I actually think gates might increase as a result of having no away fans there.
This is a debate which has been going on since Methuselah's first day at primary school and possibly even before that.

One school of thought says that all the regular fans who stay away because of potential trouble would swarm back and outweigh or at least match the missing OF fans. The second says that crowds would be hit disastrously.
It has to be the second outcome. If any of the other teams felt for a minute they wouldn't get the considerably increased gate monies from having OF fans they would have tackled these 2 clubs on a range of issues a long time ago. It was fear of losing the revenue that held them back and still is. Where are all these mystical thousands of fans that stay away from OF games anyway?

They're not called the Old Firm for nothing right enough.

The Mighty Atom

Post by The Mighty Atom » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:03 pm

StAndrewsHMFC wrote:
Too wrongs make a right then?

Old firm fans are on a weak footing complaining about pricing and then paying. If its too expensive- DON'T BUY THE STUPID TICKET ( I might be trying this tactic on my next gas bill...)

Incidently if you think its too expensive now, just wait till the clubs that have consented wise up and put the 5% charge on the price of the away tickets due to extra administrative charges incurred. They could argue that they are no longer selling the same tickets for the same seats as for home fans, as the seperate administrative route they are force to take, they are incurring extra expense in distributing away tickets; it is only sensible to pass these charges on to the customer- the of fans

You're absolutely spot on. Their costs will increase significantly and why should they stop at a 5% admin fee?

In recent years Celtic have introduced a booking fee to their own fans who buy match tickets online for home games, as happens when you buy concert tickets. Where was the justification for that? This is just the latest attempt in both clubs trying to squeeze more profits from their fans as it would always be known the home teams would simply up the ticket price to cover the extra admin.

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:04 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote: Where are all these mystical thousands of fans that stay away from OF games anyway?
I think you may well be right.

However my Dad is one for Hearts. I know of a Killie ST holder who doesn't go to old firm games too. Thing is being ST holders they've alreday given their cash to the clubs

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:48 am

StAndrewsHMFC wrote:http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/index.a ... 2008&cd1=7

Dundee United say they have been forced to accept the arrangement by Celtics refusal to negotiate. However they will review the situation after this game.

I have alot of sympathy with Dundee United, they've been pretty shafted over this
So the club that threatened legal action against Mike McCurry and the SFA turns out to have all the backbone of a week-old jelly.

Celtic have blackmailed them, United have crumbled - Celtic now own Dundee United. This is a truly pathetic decision by Dundee United.

Meiklejohn

Post by Meiklejohn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:47 pm

lbb wrote:So the club that threatened legal action against Mike McCurry and the SFA turns out to have all the backbone of a week-old jelly.
What ever happened with that?

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 am

Meiklejohn wrote: What ever happened with that?
I think they contented themselves with the hounding of McCurry in his private life by the gutter press.

They are a family club, after all.

UEFA warned them off legal action, too.

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:03 pm

The answer to the first part of the question on this thread is 'YES.' Have to think about the second.

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:05 am

Jim Templeton resigns from the Rangers Supporters Assembly and cites the club's lunacy on this issue as one of the factors -

02. Rangers demands for a 5% handling fee on away match tickets.

Whilst I agree in principal that Rangers are entitled to be compensated for handling away match tickets, I most certainly do not agree with how they tried to force it on other SPL clubs nor their timing in doing so. I also have to say that I find it unbelievable that the club did not see fit to discuss this with the Assembly prior to "forcing" the other clubs to agree. Ticket distribution is arguably the most important issue to supporters other than the success of the team and yet they chose not to discuss this with us it therefore begs the question would do they see fit to discuss with us.
I have looked at each club who has responded to Rangers demands in turn and would comment as follows:

Falkirk. In general appeared to work okay.

Aberdeen. They agreed to pay Rangers a handling fee, however for the first time in years, Aberdeen decided to implement a price increase. Conveniently they went up by £1 which amounted to a 5% increase. I wonder why? To make it clear to all why they did this, they offered a £1 discount to their own supporters for a future fixture. So who paid the handling fee and which club is looking after their supporters interests?

Hibs. They have decided to sell tickets direct as Falkirk did. Yet again we are faced with a price increase which will no doubt mean Hibs have covered their additional costs and again at our expense. To make matters worse, in spite of Rangers stating they would only handle ticket sales if they received a handling fee they have purchased 300 tickets which will no doubt be distributed to those and such as those. The phrase "them and us" springs readily to mind.

St. Mirren. They have agreed to Rangers request to pay a handling charge and will allow Rangers to distribute as normal. They have however been very clever. The only stand we have sole use of is the West Stand behind the goals and they have increased the price by £2. Prices for he North Stand, which we share, has remained unchanged at £20, in other words only Rangers fans will pay increased prices which I'm sure will go a long way to paying Rangers demands.

Kilmarnock. Although I have not heard officially, I am reliably informed that Kilmarnock will agree to Rangers demands and to offset the cost, will be increasing prices by £1.

To sum up the situation. Rangers have achieved their goal. Clubs who agree to the demands will pay Rangers and those who don't will cost Rangers nothing but guess who will be paying for all of it? The very fans Rangers claimed they were trying to protect.

A job well done I don't think.