jackie sinclair

The place to discuss Scottish football
gladiewen

jackie sinclair

Post by gladiewen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:56 pm

hi, can anyone tell me anything about a jack sinclair who played for queen of the soutjh and rangers? he was my mums cousin .id likr to find out more about him

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. The only Rangers player called Sinclair I can find is Thomas Sinclair who kept goal in the early 1900s before Queen of the South were founded.

Do you know when your mother's cousin played?

gladiewen

jack sinclair

Post by gladiewen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:56 pm

many thanks for your reply...he played in 1965 league cup final. left midfield. he is mentioned in alex fergusons book

gladiewen

Post by gladiewen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:17 pm

iv just found out he played in 1965 final for dunfermline...sorry about that

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:27 pm

gladiewen wrote:iv just found out he played in 1965 final for dunfermline...sorry about that
That explains a lot. Not only did he not play for Rangers - he never played for Queen of the South either.

Jackie Sinclair was a famous player in the 1960s. He was born in Culross on January 21st 1943 as John Evens Sinclair and signed for Dunfermline Athletic in the summer of 1960. Capable of playing on either wing he made 61 league appearances for the Pars, scoring 34 goals. In the Scottish Cup he turned out nine times, scoring six goals and made 10 League Cup apperances, scoring three times. He also played in seven Fairs Cup matches, scoring four goals and nine times in the short-lived Summer Cup, scoring once.

In 1964-65 he was Dunfermline's joint top league scorer (alongside Alex Ferguson) with 15 goals. As you say he played in the side which lost the Scottish Cup Final to Celtic 3-2.

Shortly after that match he was transferred to Leicester City then in the top division. He missed just one league game in the next two seasons, scoring 43 times in 83 appearances - an amazing total for a winger. He made a further ten appearances in the two knockout competitions, scoring three times. Having played twenty times for Leicester in 1967-68 and scored seven times he was transferred to Newcastle United in January 1968. He found appearances and goals harder to come by at Newcastle, making just 43 league appearances in almost two years and scored six goals. He played just three matches in the other domestic tournaments, scoring once.

But he made his name in the Fairs Cup in 1968-69, playing six times. He scored just once but it was a crucial strike. With thirteen minutes of the second leg of the semi-final against Rangers remaining and Newcastle ahead 1-0 on aggregate, Jackie Sinclair's goal settled the tie and led to a mass invasion of the pitch by Rangers supporters in a desperate bid to get the game called off.

They failed and Newcastle went on to beat Ujpest Dosza in the final. Sinclair played in both legs.

After that it was on to Sheffield Wednesday in December 1969 where he was less successful as Wednesday were relegated at the end of 1969-70 and Jackie Sinclair tasted life outside the top flight for the first time. All told he played 101 league games for Wednesday, scoring 14 goals. He made eight FA Cup/League Cup appearances, scoring twice.

In March 1973 he spent a period on loan at Third Division Chesterfield, playing ten league games and scoring three times.

After that he spent a brief period in South Africa with Durban City before returning to Scotland and Dunfermline for the 1973-74 season. He added another 52 top flight league appearanes and nine goals to his Pars tally, 18 knockout appearances and seven goals and one Drybrough Cup outing before leaving East End Park for the second time.

He wound down his career with Stenhousemuir. He played 18 times in the inaugural season pf the new Second Division (1975-76), scoring once and added another seven appearances in the Scottish Cup and League Cup.

Because of the multiplicity of talented wingers available in the 1960s, his chances of international recognition were limited but he did play once for Scotland, in the team which lost 1-0 to Portugal at Hampden in June 1966.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:00 pm

I met Jackie not long ago, shortly before he retired from Stirling University where he had been working in recent years. Still keeps in touch with former colleagues, in particular the Newcastle team that won the Fairs Cup. He lives in Dollar.

gladiewen

jackie sinclair

Post by gladiewen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:37 pm

wow thank you so much,, incredible info,im so grateful...my mum always told me that the sporting gene in the family was on the sinclair side.has there been any sinclairs that played in early 70s in scottish football as well?

prorege

Post by prorege » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:20 pm

His son, Chris Sinclair, was also a decent footballer (a winger, like his father). He played for Dunfermline, Meadowbank, Livingston and Albion Rovers between 1989 and 1999.

Jackie's brother Willie played for Falkirk, Huddersfield, Tranmere and Halifax.

Jackie's uncle was Tommy Wright, a full internationalist in the 1950s while with Sunderland.

Jackie's cousin was Tommy Wright who played for Leeds, Oldham, Leicester, Middlesbrough and Bradford City in the 1980s and 1990s.

1960sfitbafan

Post by 1960sfitbafan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Jackie lives in Dollar - I heard he works in a local golf club.

First time I saw his son, Jackie Jnr. play for the Pars I had to pinch myself - he ran in the same elbows out style of his dad.

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:18 am

Sadly, Jackie passed away on holiday yesterday after suffering from cancer for some time. He was 67.
A Pars legend and a real gentleman.

exile

Post by exile » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Another ex-player sadly taking an early trip back to the dressing room. Footballers don't seem to be long lived on the whole - example, 2 of Hearts' terrible trio didn't even make it to 50. Can anyone think of a well-known ex-player who's still living in their 90s? So we'd be talking about someone who would have started their career in the early 1930s. This is not a quiz question I genuinely can't think of any long lived ex-players!

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Outwith our normal "frame of reference", Sir Tom Finney is still around at 88.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Francisco Varallo, who played in the first World Cup Final in 1930 for Argentina, died last week, aged 100.

In Scotland Bob McPhail was the oldest surviving Scotland player for many years before passing away in 2000, just shy of his 95th birthday.

I'm not sure whether there is a tendency for players to die young or whether it is just that we are more likely to hear of it because they were well-known in their prime. Sadly, I know of several people who never reached fifty, or in some cases, died a lot younger than that. I'm sure we all do.

exile

Post by exile » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:55 pm

I've reached 51 and have so far (touch wood) only lost 1 person fairly close to me of my age or younger. 3 grandparents died in their 80s, 1 in their 50s. 2 parents/parents in laws passed on in their 60s, others going strong in their 70s.

Males currently have a 5% chance of shuffling off before 50, 10% before 60 and 22% before 70. For the "weaker sex", it's 3%, 7% and 15%.

More positively living to 90 is a 16% chance for men, 28% (!) for women.

But that's the theoretical figure for people born today. I'm not enough of a statistics wizard to work it out for people actually born in the 1920s and 30s But I suspect we'd expect to see maybe 1 in 10 of ex-footballers living into their 90s given that we're excluding anyone who was unlucky enough to fall foul of the numerous childhood diseases of the time such as polio and diphtheria, and anyone who had congentital conditions which meant they were never fit enough to play professional football at the highest level.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm three years older than you and have a 'good side' (paternal) where it is exceptional for them not to each eighty at least and a bad side (maternal) where getting a pension is an achievement but the people I was referring to were ex-school or workmates who died young.

As for players, many of them DID have congenital conditions but it wasn't known at the time. IIRC Alan Groves and Tommy Caton both fell into this category. David Rocastle is perhaps another.