Fat Boab Sacked

The place to discuss Scottish football
killiebred

Fat Boab Sacked

Post by killiebred » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:45 am

Plymouth have sacked Bobby Williamson. On the cards after their poor start I suppose.

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Fat Boab Sacked

Post by Scottish » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:43 pm

killiebred wrote: On the cards after their poor start I suppose.
Well, if four straight defeats is cause to sack a manager then there will be a lot of shoogly nails around.

I never did understand why a section of the Killie support wanted Bobby Williamson out. The Scottish Cup win in 1997 was the club's first major trophy for 32 years, the first Scottish Cup Final for 37 years and the first success in the competition for 68 years. The League Cup Final of 2001 was the first appearance at that stage for 38 years and finishing 4th in the League in 1998 was the first time they'd been that high in the League for 29 years. Williamson's team also finished 4th in 1999 and 2001 and while Jim Jefferies had taken over it was basically Bobby's side that finished 5th in 2002.

What more did the fans want?

Additionally, he ended a 27-year absence from European football and took Killie into Europe four times in all, more than any other Killie manager. if results in Europe were less than spectacular at least the club didn't embarrass Scottish football the way Aberdeen, Celtic, Livingston, Dundee United & Dunfermline all have in recent seasons.

During his time at Rugby Park four Killie players were capped for Scotland, ending over 20 years without a player in the national side.

FFS do you want jam on it?

And while I know he was none too popular at Easter Road either, a lot of that was down to who he replaced and his playing background (once a hun...) his record there wasn't at all bad. Second bottom when he took over, mid-table when he left and with another League Cup Final appearance as well.

Even at Plymouth his one full season there saw them finish in their highest position for 15 years.

On top of that Bobby's record in giving young players a chance is second to none.

He'll never be Mr Happy Smiley but surely his achievements deserve recognition even from those who don't like the guy? His record stands comparison with any Scottish manager and despite nearly a decade in management he's still in his early 40's so he'll be back soon and around for a long time to come.

One last thing. How many other managers have lasted nine years before their first sacking?

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:57 pm

scottish wrote:And while I know he was none too popular at Easter Road either, a lot of that was down to who he replaced and his playing background (once a hun...) his record there wasn't at all bad. Second bottom when he took over, mid-table when he left and with another League Cup Final appearance as well.
Ooo wait til Bobby S reads that :wink:

Seriously though, I was never clamouring for Bobby Williamson's removal from Easter Road either. There was a lot of frankly ill informed criticism of his team's playing style as hoof it up the park stuff. What I managed to see on the TV down here, mostly some close games against the Old Firm and the League Cup final completely refuted that accusation.

The fans never got behind him for the reasons you allude to, and I don't think he had the best of relationships with Rod Petrie. I think the latter was the main reason he left. If we had won the League Cup Petrie might have had to keep him on, which wouldn't have bothered me at the time, but I have to say that Mowbray has made much more of the same resources so far.
Fraser

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:06 pm

scottish wrote:And while I know he was none too popular at Easter Road either, a lot of that was down to who he replaced and his playing background (once a hun...) his record there wasn't at all bad. Second bottom when he took over, mid-table when he left and with another League Cup Final appearance as well.
Burn the witch!
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:21 pm

I wouldn't criticise for one minute what Mogga has achieved at Easter Road. I thought at the time that it was an adventurous appointment which deserved to succeed. The easy route would have been to look around the sofas in the TV studios or the co-commentator's position in the TV gantry and pick one of the numerous failed managers available.

I saw Mowbray play right from the start of his career and even from a very young age his leadership qualities were obvious to all.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:44 pm

Okay.

An admirable defence of what Bobby achievied at Killie.

However, let's be clear on what he achieved at ER. The square root of procreative act all. Hoofball: he instigated the youth teams playing hoofball from the defence. He had no interest in the youth teams playing football from defence, his vision of defenders cleared the ball as far as possible.

He didn't manage a top six finish, and I'm sure I have a list of his most disgraceful results, including a 6-2 loss at Killie.

A complete procreative act who I would not let manage a boys club team. And and obnoxious delightful female organ to boot.

Moonface did not speak very highly of me either. :twisted:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:47 pm

And you were doing so well before he took over............... :D

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:40 pm

scottish wrote:And you were doing so well before he took over............... :D
The previous season we had been third. Watching Hibs became a joyless experience under BW: crowds dropped to the lowest since thatcher Face in 2004. You have the figures :)

But it was bizarre. In his last season, we beat Rangers, Celtic and Hearts in the same season for the first time in 25 years, yet most Hibs fans were happy to see him go. His PR was dismal, as he often spent large sections of games arguing with the fans behind him, rather than concentrating on what was in front of his eyes.

Attempting to swap Riordan & Whittaker for Bobby Mann led many Hibs fans to conclude that he wouldnae know a decent footballer if he was slapped over the head with one.

I take your point about getting the sack, but his crime was not to know when to jump before he was pushed. The Ginger Judas Prick would surely have been sacked at both Motherwell and Hibs if he had hung about just a short while longer. I suspect the Teflon Don is already plotting his escape from Ibrox :)

BTW I hate Bobby Williamson with a passion as irrational as only football fans have. You can probably tell 8)

Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:41 pm

bobby s wrote:Watching Hibs became a joyless experience under BW:
Has that not been the case for the past thirty years??

:lol: :lol:
Author of Follow the Hearts

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:50 pm

Mike Smith wrote:
bobby s wrote:Watching Hibs became a joyless experience under BW:
Has that not been the case for the past thirty years??

:lol: :lol:
No. Just large parts of the last 30 years. :?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:36 pm

The Ginger Judas Prick would surely have been sacked at both Motherwell and Hibs if he had hung about just a short while longer
You might well be right there and a lot of Rangers fans still aren't satisfied despite the trophies. But one thing he carries in abundance is luck - witness the titles of 2003 and 2005 which were but a baw-hair away from going the other way.

No Rangers manager would have survived that.