Boyd gets gift of a goal for his tally

The place to discuss Scottish football
LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Don`t get me wrong llb, I`m not griping about Rangers "stealing" Spiders per se. Indeed, players transferring allegiences to any club is part & parcel of the Club`s history going right back to the McNeils and George Gillespie in the 1870s to Bobby Brown in the 40s and Ian McCall in the 90s(via Dunfermline of course) all to Ibrox in addition to the ones you mention plus Willie Lyon to Celtic in the 40s(Celtic long had an unwritten policy of NOT taking Queen`s players & the only other of any decent standards I can recall going to Parkhead were Ian McWilliams in the 1970s & Malky Mackay in the 90s) & a plethora of players to Hearts, Aberdeen, Morton etc.(I can`t think of any off hand who wended their way to Easter Road). My input referred to those who, in my opinion didn`t get a fair chance. In Valentine`s case, you`re right, the Rangers management weren`t going to bust Shearer, Caldow, Davis or McColl; the new boy got it. I only wish the 21st century crop were good enough to step up to top division clubs. I really believed that David Weatherston was going to be a big success when he left a couple of seasons ago for Perth but he`s now not even getting in to QOS`s 1st team. Could be like a lot of youngsters - a bit of effort coupled with aptitude enough to be a success in the 2nd or 3rd Divisions but lacking attitude to kick on. How many U18s, U19s & U21s have disappeared over the years for this reason? Good luck to James McCarthy who seems to have the right disposition.

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:46 am

Looks like nobody's going to get any cash from any transfer.
Fifty one and counting

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:17 pm

In another case of erroneus reporting Lee Wallace has been given credit for Larry Kingston's winner at Tynie today on BBC, sky sports news, soccerbase and numerous betting websites. I would have thought it would be difficult to confuse Lee Wallace with Larry, but someone obviously did. Be interesting to see which papers give the goal to Wallace tomorrow

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:00 pm

The BBC have hedged their bets, crediting Kingston in the match report and Wallace in the live text.

Apart from the rather - erm - obvious difference in appearance it isn't even as if they wear similar squad numbers.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:51 pm

I recall a BBC radio reporter confusing Pierre van Hooijdonk with John Collins when the latter scored a penalty for Celtic - not an easy mistake to make especially at a fairly static piece of "action".

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:00 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I recall a BBC radio reporter confusing Pierre van Hooijdonk with John Collins when the latter scored a penalty for Celtic - not an easy mistake to make especially at a fairly static piece of "action".
I once confused Pierre Van Hooijdonk with Greg Louganis - an altogether much more understandable error.

kiwiscot

Boyd gets gift of a goal for his tally

Post by kiwiscot » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:40 pm

I would have thought more Freddie Mercury