Scotland/Wales/Norn Iron bid for Euro 2016

The place to discuss Scottish football
bobby s

Scotland/Wales/Norn Iron bid for Euro 2016

Post by bobby s » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 282555.ece

What is the verdict of the panel? I think it's a lot of hot air - UEFA didn't recommend the Euro 2008 bid because of multitude of grounds across only two cities. I don't think the SFA have learned an awful lot since.

Given that in

1996 16 teams 8 cities
2000 16 teams 8 cities
2004 16 teams 8 cities (although I think there might have been more than one ground in two of the cities)
2008 16 teams 8 cities
2012 16 teams 12 cities

It would be reasonable to assume that for 24 teams, then 12 cities would be required. I'm sure UEFA wouldn't give a flying if one city alternated its games around 3 venues, but it would leave a Scottish bid a bit thin on the venue front.

Maybe our only hope is to co-host with England in 30 or 40 years time when England next look to host it.
It's the Hope I can't stand

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:39 pm

The quality of Scottish football`s probably @ an all time low. The SFA claim they have no money to invest in the game @ grass roots. The clubs waste an inordiante amounts of money on duff foreigners (an unknown Scandinavian targeted by Celtic is now an "ace" according to the press) and ignore any local "talent" and yet they want to invest in an international tournament. Get real. They should all be expending every scrap of effort in getting our game up from the laughable level it`s at not wasting a second on this. Don`t even mention the politicians who would jump on a bandwagon even if it was on fire if it means getting their names and pictures in the papers & on a TV screen.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:45 pm

It's absolute nonsense. The last chance Scotland had of hosting or co-hosting the European championships vanished when it was decided to increase the number of qualifiers to 24 and the SFA more or less admitted that at the time. Now, just a few weeks later comes this pipedream.

I always thought a solo bid was the only chance of success See HERE and HERE andHERE but it's incredibly difficult to see how the necessary stadia can be built. UEFA will determine the bid regulations one week from today and it's impossible to see them maintaining the status quo given that the tournament is expanding from 31 matches to 51, an increase of almost two-thirds.

We started talking about the 2008 bid in 2001 and in the intervening seven years the number of grounds that could conceivably be used has remained the same.

I don't think any joint bid with England is going to happen either as England is perfectly capable of staging major tournaments on their own and there is no way the FA would sanction a bid which meant excluding three or four English grounds in order to accommodate the SFA.

But there is a major football tournament coming to Scotland. Hampden will host matches during the Olympic football tournament in 2012. Given their attitude towards the Olympic Games generally I think the SFA have got the gold medal for brass cheek sewn up already.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:04 pm

scottish wrote:But there is a major football tournament coming to Scotland. Hampden will host matches during the Olympic football tournament in 2012. Given their attitude towards the Olympic Games generally I think the SFA have got the gold medal for brass cheek sewn up already.
Why would the SFA's opposition to "Team GB" have anything to do with a Euro bid? I think teaming up with other nations to put in a bid is a wee bit different from fielding a combined GB team in a meaningless U23 event.

As for the possibility of bidding for Euro 2016, why not? perhaps we sometimes need to focus on what we can do rather than what we cannot.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Burnie_man wrote:Why would the SFA's opposition to "Team GB" have anything to do with a Euro bid? I think teaming up with other nations to put in a bid is a wee bit different from fielding a combined GB team in a meaningless U23 event..
It is surely rank hypocrisy for the SFA (& the FAW) to put forward their grounds to host the Olympics and thus offer an opportunity to play for the youth of every nation bar their own. If the SFA are so opposed to a team GB then why have anything to do with the games at all? There are plenty of venues available and willing to host these matches.

As for "meaningless" well, that's a matter of opinion. Here are some of the people who don't think it's meaningless, given that they took the chance to play in China this year.

Leo Messi
Juan Riquelme
Kun Aguero
Javier Mascherano
Ronaldinho
Anderson
Jo
Saloman Kalou
Roy Maakay
Vincent Kompany
Ryan Babel
Freddy Adu
Brian McBride

And some of those who think it's "meaningless."

Alex Salmond
George Peat

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Burnie_man wrote:As for the possibility of bidding for Euro 2016, why not? perhaps we sometimes need to focus on what we can do rather than what we cannot.
Rather ironic that your link underneath your quote is to "no team gb" not "yes to 2016."

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm

scottish wrote:It is surely rank hypocrisy for the SFA (& the FAW) to put forward their grounds to host the Olympics and thus offer an opportunity to play for the youth of every nation bar their own. If the SFA are so opposed to a team GB then why have anything to do with the games at all? There are plenty of venues available and willing to host these matches.
The SFA do not own Hampden, and I doubt the FAW own the Millenium Stadium either.
As for "meaningless" well, that's a matter of opinion. Here are some of the people who don't think it's meaningless, given that they took the chance to play in China this year.

Leo Messi
Juan Riquelme
Kun Aguero
Javier Mascherano
Ronaldinho
Anderson
Jo
Saloman Kalou
Roy Maakay
Vincent Kompany
Ryan Babel
Freddy Adu
Brian McBride

And some of those who think it's "meaningless."

Alex Salmond
George Peat
Ask your average football fan who won the Gold medal this year, or 4 years ago. Then find out how much of the football was shown live on the main BBC channels.
Last edited by Burnie_man on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:17 pm

scottish wrote:Rather ironic that your link underneath your quote is to "no team gb" not "yes to 2016."
Why would it be ironic?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Burnie_man wrote:Ask your average football fan who won the Gold medal this year, or 4 years ago. Then find out how much of the football was shown live on the main BBC channels.
I'm pretty sure if I ask the average fan where I am right now they'll know the answer. Especially as Leo Messi put playing in the Olympics ahead of a Champions League qualifier (though of course he doesn't turn out for "meaningless" matches as shown by his no-show at Hampden recently).

The BBC? I'd hazard a guess about as much (or as little) as they showed of the marvellous European championships of 1976 or 1984 when there was no home involvement. Strange argument though that the importance or otherwise of a tournament should be determined by BBC coverage. I'd prefer to take the average attendance of just under 44,000 per match as more indicative.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:39 pm

Burnie_man wrote:Why would it be ironic?
Advertising a campaign aimed at preventing young Scots from taking part in one of the biggest international competitions on the planet. Deterring them from playing against some of the best players in the world. Stopping them from what is very likely to be the only opportunity ever to do so on Scottish soil.

Hardly "can do" is it?

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:33 pm

scottish wrote:
Burnie_man wrote:Why would it be ironic?
Advertising a campaign aimed at preventing young Scots from taking part in one of the biggest international competitions on the planet. Deterring them from playing against some of the best players in the world. Stopping them from what is very likely to be the only opportunity ever to do so on Scottish soil.

Hardly "can do" is it?
Advertising a campaign to stop a very dangerous precedent being set, which is supported by the major fan organisations of all four home nations and by three of the home nation FA's.

If it was so important to young Scots/N.Irish/Welsh/English, why hasn't there been an Olympic team for over 30 years? It's nothing more than a political stunt, as evidence by Jim Murphy going behind everyone's backs to meet with FIFA and return Chamberlain-esque with an equally worthless guarantee.

EDIT: To try and bring this back on topic, I would guess that a young Scottish footballer would dream more about representing Scotland at Euro2016 - in Scotland - than a one-off political stunt in 2012.
Last edited by Burnie_man on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:38 pm

scottish wrote:Strange argument though that the importance or otherwise of a tournament should be determined by BBC coverage.
Little BBC coverage and a tournament which few football fans in the UK take any notice of, yep, that's pretty indicative of the Olympic football tournaments real standing in the whole scheme of things.

Yet, certain politicians want to play their petty little "lets make eveyone feel more British" games regardless of what damage it could do to the home nations continued footballing independence.

The Olympics should be the pinnacle of achievement for those sports that are included. Football doesn't even come close to that.

Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Absolute nonsense to be launching another stupid bid for a tournament we blatantly fail to have the facilities for. We have some fine stadia but they are all in one city. There is absolutely no point to building huge white elephant grounds elsewhere in then country. An expensive, pointless ego-trip for certain officials at the SFA. They should get a grip and come back to the real world. Bid for European club finals, under 21 tournaments by all means, we can do these things but hosting this huge bloated competition is not realistic for what we have. Peat and co should grow up.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Gunboat Briggs wrote: An expensive, pointless ego-trip for certain officials at the SFA.
Just exactly what arranging a friendly against Argentina when the fans said they didn't especially want it was.

So you'll excuse me if I'm not surprised by more of the same then! :roll:

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:38 pm

Gunboat Briggs wrote:Absolute nonsense to be launching another stupid bid for a tournament we blatantly fail to have the facilities for.
Facilities which we can build?
We have some fine stadia but they are all in one city.
Murrayfield?
There is absolutely no point to building huge white elephant grounds elsewhere in then country.
Other countries manage to build stadia with temporary stands which are removed after the event, why can't we?
An expensive, pointless ego-trip for certain officials at the SFA.
An event which would bring between £300m/£500m of revenue into the country and would be great for football in Scotland.
They should get a grip and come back to the real world.
I think they're very much in the real world.
Bid for European club finals, under 21 tournaments by all means, we can do these things but hosting this huge bloated competition is not realistic for what we have. Peat and co should grow up.
I wonder if Austria and Switzerland thought like that? or Portugal? or Sweden? or Belgium and Holland?