BRITISH ARMY GAMES AGAINST SCOTTISH CLUBS

The place to discuss Scottish football
jimmythepost

BRITISH ARMY GAMES AGAINST SCOTTISH CLUBS

Post by jimmythepost » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:48 pm

I am trying to compile a list of games between Scottish Clubs and British Army teams during the period of National Service.

Anyone got details?I've got several programmes, but don't know if the line ups were as programme.

Also looking for details of Scots professionals in British Army teams against other Armies and English clubs.

I've got details so far of games against Hearts, Hibs Rangers Morton and Falkirk.

Thanks for any help offered.

kiwiscot

British Army against Scottish Clubs

Post by kiwiscot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:23 pm

I have a match programme dated 13/11/57, Irish League V Western Command at Windsor Park, Army team as follows Moncur (Preston NE & RAC ) Whelan (Blackburn Rov & Royal Artilley ) Tharme (Spurs & RACC ) Reilly ( Clyde & Royal Artillery ) Fox (Wrexham & Cheshire Reg. ) Cooke (WBA &Royal Artillery ) Robinson ( Bury & Lancashire Fusaliers ) Charlton (Man Utd. & RACC ) Evans ( Wrexham & Royal Artillery ) Quinn ( Motherwell & Royal Artillery ) and Rea ( Motherwell & Royal Artillery ). Will try to find out the score. Two Scots played for the Irish League that night Centre Forward Johnny Nielson of Distillery and inside left Alex McCrea of Ballymena Utd. who was player coach. Of course these teams are taken from the programme and could in fact have changes made to them. Divisional army teams played a lot of games in this era under names as Western Command, Southern Command, Eastern Command, BAOR etc, as did the other services but they never had tha higher profile tha army teams had.

caledoniaton

Post by caledoniaton » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi there, i am currently trying to trace my dads football career....see my other post in SFAQS.......my dad did his national service from 58-60

I have a great photocopy of the details and intinery for the Scottish Command X1 v Dunfermline reserves...9/8/58.

team from

spr,wyllie motherwell
l/c mccalman hibernian
pte donnelly celtic
l/c mccorquodale rangers
pte nicol hibernian
cpl hall maybole juniors
pte mcguire dundee n.e.
pte scott rangers
pte fraser hibs
pte anderson hibs
rec allen -

reserves

pte odonnell dumbarton......MY DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( black watch)
pte petrie -
l/c hewitt -

i dont know the score or if my dad actually played in the game

i have a few original b/w photographs from my dads national service in cyprus...with his team mates, alongside another local team and being presented with a cup....i dont have any details dates alas..

JIMMY would you or anybody have any info re my dads playing career in the army, is he mentioned in any of the programmes you have

i am phoning someone this week to arrange a visit to the black watch to see the battlion notes, to see if there is any mention of my dad...

if you or anyone else needs any more info re the above game, let me know, i will gladly help with any request