Broadfoot's latest

The place to discuss Scottish football
Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:44 am

I will be honest in saying that although ive read this thread as posts have been added ive never read Darryl's artciles before the weekend.

I did and well spend more time looking up the words he used than I did reading the article, maybe thats just me but his use of words seem more akin to the arts than a working mans game.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:44 am

scottish wrote:No, he doesn't list them. Yes, Airdrieonians and Gretna are no longer with us but that doesn't alter the fact that both played in Europe. Omitting them from the reckoning is like not counting Third Lanark or Vale of Leven among major trophy winners. In any case if it had been intentional to leave them out then the total would be eighteen of our current clubs.
I realise that. I wasn't suggesting it would be any less wrong and I'm well aware we were the 19th last season (since I went to the trouble of finding it out at the time).

I was just wondering if it were either of those he'd missed, more likely Gretna than Airdrie since people rightly or wrongly tend to associate the present Airdrie Utd with the latter and assign their history.

Tom Brogan

Post by Tom Brogan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Just cos I started listing them all in my head, I think this is the complete list of Scottish teams in Europe and their first appearance.

Hibernian - European Cup 1955/56
Rangers – European Cup 1956/57
Hearts – European Cup 1958/59
Dunfermline – European Cup Winners' Cup 1961/62
Dundee – European Cup 1962/63
Celtic – Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1962/63
Partick Thistle – Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1963/64
Kilmarnock – Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1964/65
Dundee United - Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1966/67
Aberdeen – European Cup Winners' Cup 1967/68
Morton – Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1968/69
St Johnstone – UEFA Cup 1971/72
St. Mirren – UEFA Cup 1980/81
Motherwell – European Cup Winners' Cup 1991/92
Airdrieonians – European Cup Winners' Cup 1992/93
Raith Rovers – UEFA Cup 1995/96
Livingston – UEFA Cup 2002/03
Gretna – UEFA Cup 2006/07
Queen of the South – UEFA Cup 2008/09
Falkirk – Europa League 2009/10

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Aside from a very nasty and snide article re George Burley

'The sadness of King George'

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headli ... George.php

and is revered down the Gorgie Road for his scintillating seven months in charge at Hearts.

June to October I make that 4 months.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/man/ ... urley.html
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

problemchild

Post by problemchild » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:23 pm

He also started yesterday's piece in the Herald by stating Burley "will pay the ultimate price" if we don't win both games. Really? I wonder, will it be gas, injection or firing squad?

Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:37 pm

I was also interested to know that Burley was apparently manager of the year for his achievements with Ipswich in 2005, impressive considering he was managing Derby and Hearts that year....

Perhaps someone could point out to Broadfoot that the year he's looking for is 2001?

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 am

No real glaring errors but a very strange match report of the Stuttgart-Rangers game -

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl ... e-1.920358

I can only conclude that Broadfoot had written the bulk of it at HT and didn't feel like doing a major rewrite or he spent the second half absolutely blootered.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 am

Broadfoot's latest 'revelation' is that Rangers have no money -

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/dis ... 88.0.0.php

Today SportTimes can reveal the full extent of the internal politics that have pitted the guardians of the club's future against the financial institution that has now assumed day-to-day control over the crippling financial affairs in an effort to recoup their £30m.

You really have to wonder about the intelligence of Scottish football journalists when Rangers' financial situation has to be spelled out to them by the Rangers manager before they grasp the reality of the situation.

You really have to laugh at Broadfoot 'scoops' like - 'It is understood there was a reluctance to sanction another one-year, pay-as-you-play contract for David Weir and, indeed, he started the season without a contract' - which appeared on a Rangers forum and fanzine in mid-August! In fact, the previous paragraph about the sale of Ferguson and others to lower the wage bill was posted at the same time! Truly, the Internet is sweeping away these dinosaurs. If there is any change in Rangers' situation, fans will hear about it from other fans on Internet forums. They will not hear about from it the press and certainly not from Darryl Broadfoot.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:35 pm

I think virtaully everyone connected with the written media agree that newspapers(for sale rather than free sheets) are doomed within 10 years.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm hard pushed to think of a scoop (at virtually any of level of football) that doesn't first emerge on the internet forums, with the exceptions of rulings of governing bodies which they still manage to keep reasonably well insulated...

In an age of mobile, wireless and internet information technology and where access to official corroborating information can be instantaneous the days of the sensational news scoop are gone. Especially in sport with its rumours etc.

The fact that online material can be (largely) anonymous has also ended the days where information being party to the few meant the masses don't know.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Thing is though, it's all very well and good pointing out that internet forums break every piece of good gossip before the papers do but for every piece of remotely accurate gossip on internet forums there is about a thousand pieces of absolute garbage posted.

If we believe everything some anonymous user name posts on the web we'll soon be in a complete mess. For instance I have heard on good authority that Lionel Messi, who was a boyhood Rangers fan, is intent on quitting Barca when his contract expires and playing for Rangers for a nominal wage as he's made his money.

There, I've said it on an internet forum, must be true. :roll:

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:25 pm

This is true Skyline, in that the professional media act as a filter to root out much of the nonsense. (I say this because it's patently obvious that much of the material the media carries on Scottish Sport - especially the red-tops or commercial radio - is still p*sh. It's just dressed up as "acceptable rumour").

However, to run a professional media requires people buying your papers or advertising on your broadcasts. I fear for Scottish broadsheets in particular!! And it's a vicious cycle. Less sales = costs cuts = lower quality = less sales...

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:41 pm

The era of instant communication has closed the market of 'Club X signs Player Y' exclusives which might have got you buying the late-night Record.

Newspapers have to offer something different, a bit of analysis, not too dry or serious. The problem for me is that there isn't any journalists around that I particularly want to read or whose opinion on a game or issue is of interest to me.

Broadfoot is 2 or 3 months behind the Rangers/HBOS story and had to hear an interview about it on a radio station on Saturday night before he finally went into action. No offence to the guy but his articles on it haven't offered anything that you couldn't have picked up on a Rangers fanzine or forum - albeit without having to plough through some bonkers opinions in the process. If you're not offering exclusives or an intelligent take on events, what are you offering?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06 am

Skyline Drifter wrote:Thing is though, it's all very well and good pointing out that internet forums break every piece of good gossip before the papers do but for every piece of remotely accurate gossip on internet forums there is about a thousand pieces of absolute garbage posted.
Very true. For proof of the above have a look at the BBC and newspaper websites on transfer deadline day. The 'my mate's a taxi driver and he just picked up Ronaldo at the airport' type stories which predominate make good entertainment to fill in the hours when absolutely nothing at all is happening.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:39 am

Darryl gets all moist about Walter Smith.

It's not perhaps a strict factual inaccuracy, but his opening line, "WALTER Smith has never been motivated by ego or self-interest" surely stretches credulity.
Fraser