Getting carried away?

The place to discuss Scottish football
lbb

Getting carried away?

Post by lbb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:55 am

Take it this guy was attending his first game or summat -

'But like extra-time, the game seemed destined for penalties and the most dramatic of finishes to a cup tie seen at the national stadium for decades.'

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer ... 69181.html

Mind you, the commentators on the BBC, Paul Mitchell and Billy Dodds, were little better - both claiming they couldn't remember when both teams scored the first 10 penalties in a shootout. If nothing else, the 1990 Scottish Cup Final wasn't that long ago, Shirley?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 am

I`d put Peter Lovenkrands` winner in the 2002 Scottish Cup Final 7 SECONDS from the end of the game as this decade`s most dramatic finale @ Hampden.

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Getting carried away?

Post by Scottish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 am

lbb wrote:Mind you, the commentators on the BBC, Paul Mitchell and Billy Dodds, were little better
I get more annoyed by Mitchell's laboured puns - hitting the bar without celebratory drinks being ordered etc - and stats which bore even an anorak like me - Dundee United havent scored in a League Cup tie v Celtic since the invention of the internal combustion engine.

But usually he is quite a good commentator on the game itself. He spoiled his record last night when he must have been the only person either in the ground or watching on TV not to spot Barry Robson's dive inside the penalty area.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Hearts being denied a 'stonewaller' in the 120th minute in 2006 and their prime Penalty taker getting sent off by that fair and Impartial referee Douglas MacDonald.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:27 pm

scottish wrote:..he must have been the only person either in the ground or watching on TV not to spot Barry Robson's dive inside the penalty area.
I await Gordon Smith's condemnation of this deplorable act.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 pm

lbb wrote:Take it this guy was attending his first game or summat -

'But like extra-time, the game seemed destined for penalties and the most dramatic of finishes to a cup tie seen at the national stadium for decades.'

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer ... 69181.html

Mind you, the commentators on the BBC, Paul Mitchell and Billy Dodds, were little better - both claiming they couldn't remember when both teams scored the first 10 penalties in a shootout. If nothing else, the 1990 Scottish Cup Final wasn't that long ago, Shirley?
I see United keeper Lee Wilkie missed their 9th penalty. :roll:

The second longest penalty shoot out I can actually recall watching. Only one longer was the 2007 UEFA u21 semi final between England and Holland which the Dutch won 13-12 on penalties with seven penalties having been missed or saved so it went 32 kicks. Last night's went a timid 24 kicks by comparison.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:47 pm

By contrast, the worst penalty shoot-out I have seen was a B&Q Cup semi-final between Hamilton and Meadowbank. After the first five penalties the score was 1-1, and the final score after seven penalties was just 2-1 to Hamilton.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Worst I've ever seen (on TV anyway) was the 1986 European Cup Final which ended after both sides had taken four penalties each with Steaua Bucharest converting two and Barcelona none. The first four were saved/missed. Of course Terry Venables then in charge of Barcelona had already withdrawn Steve Archibald from the pitch by the time the penalty shoot-out started.

In the flesh there are two that stick in the mind more for their consequences than any particular awfulness about the penalties. The 1971 Ayrshire Cup Final 2nd leg at Rugby Park simply because it was the first I'd ever seen and a Scottish Cup tie in 1992 when Meadowbank Thistle won at Rugby Park with Killie relying on 15-year-old Mark Roberts to keep the game alive after penalty 'banker' Tommy Burns had missed.

As Kilmarnock were already the first side to lose a Scottish Cup tie on penalties (at Stranraer in 1990), I think this made them the first to lose both home and away on penalties. I also have a nagging feeling that 1971 game was the first time penalties had been used to settle a Scottish game.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm not a fan of Mitchell. Even leaving aside his factual errors, he always sounds to me as though he's in pain. He's also from the Jock Brown school of creating drama where there is none - such as the Barry Robson incident - and then, when embarrassed by the replay, carrying on as if nothing had happened. Brown - 'Well, is that a foul, that looked a clear penalty kick, I think the referee has called that one wrong [cue replay] So, Mark, about the tactics...' Not even an acknowledgement or apology for the viewer!

The 2002 Scottish Cup Final would be my shout and there will be plenty of other more dramatic matches. It's a strange statement to make. Dundee United had the better of the second half and Celtic had the better of extra-time but by no means was it a pulsating encounter that burned itself into the memory banks of everyone who saw it.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:34 pm

lbb wrote:I'm not a fan of Mitchell. Even leaving aside his factual errors, he always sounds to me as though he's in pain. He's also from the Jock Brown school of creating drama where there is none
For me the worst for that is Scott Booth. It - is - alm- ost - a- gon-is-ing to he-ar his str-ang-ula-ted whi-ne and o-ver-ly dra-ma-tic tre-at-ment of e-ver-y free kick as if a spec-tac-u-lar go-al is i-mmi-nent. Some-one nee-ds to tell him not to sou-nd so con-sti-pa-ted and that he can join up his syll-ab-les.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:48 pm

I believe the longest penalty shoot out in British senior football was when Tunbridge Wells Foresters beat Littlehampton Town 16-15 after their 2nd replay in the English Cup Preliminary Round on 31/8/2005 after 40 kicks "from the penalty mark". However, this pales into insignificance when placed beside the Namibian Cup 1st Round tie between KK Palace & Civic on 25/1/2005 when KKP won through to the 2nd Round 17/16 on penalties after both sides had had 24 shots @ goal.

LLD

Post by LLD » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm

ScottishFA wrote:By contrast, the worst penalty shoot-out I have seen was a B&Q Cup semi-final between Hamilton and Meadowbank. After the first five penalties the score was 1-1, and the final score after seven penalties was just 2-1 to Hamilton.
I still feel the pain of that one. I think we had about 4 kicks to win and spurned the lot of them.

Another strange penalty shootout involving Meadowbank came in the Reserve League Cup v Clydebank at Meadowbank Stadium around the same time. That one finished 12-11.

My memory is a bit hazy but I think the first 22 or 23 kicks were all scored. I'll need to look out some old programmes to check.

Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:14 pm

From the Arab point of view, the opposite experience to what we had at Hampden last week was a League Cup tie against Stirling Albion at Tannadice in 1998. Having held us to a very creditable 2-2 draw over two hours of football, the Binos managed to miss their first three spot kicks and United ran out 3-0 winners in considerably less time than last week's shoot out...