Scottish Football History Website

The place to discuss Scottish football
BMCCOLL

Scottish Football History Website

Post by BMCCOLL » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Due to the decision to close down Geocities, I'm looking at alternatives to hosting the site. I'm informed that it will be later this year before it goes but I'd advise anyone who uses the site regularly to make a back-up of the entire site. I've often used winhttrack-website-copier. This can be found on any download site and is an excellent tool. I hope to move to a new host soon, but it means adjusting links etc so the site may take some time to be back online. I'm sorry 'bout this but I hope to resume normal service very soon. Bye the way, my email addresses (yahoo.com & ntlworld.com) will remain the same.

Cheers

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:26 am

I've taken stock and settled on another free web host at sqweebs.com. Because I'll have to alter a large number of links (not as arduous as it sounds) the new site won't be fully online for a few weeks. However I have been working on it and there are a few pages up already. I'm also taking the opportunity to revamp some of the pages and mend some broken links I've come across..

The site address will therefore be at sfha.sqweebs.com, however the the Geocities site will be online until further notice. I'd be grateful if you do take some time to visit the new address and update your bookmarks, to give the new site some traffic.

Many thanks again.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 pm

What other sites are on Geocities that could be lost. There must be a few worth saving that have been forgotton about by the authors. I found this one on American team Bethlehem Steel.
http://www.geocities.com/bethlehem_soccer/

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Eric Thomson's immense Fife Junior History site is also at risk. Eric's been trying to get local newspapers to sponsor a new host for it. I've got a complete record of his site in excel format on my PC and forwarded him a copy in case it's taken off before he has the chance.

There must be some way of getting a list of valuable Geocities sites somewhere

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Is Geocities searchable by existing members? I ask because they're not accepting new sign-ups and i can't remember my original user name and password (which I set up in 1996!)

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:06 pm

The SFHA has now fully moved to a new host and I'd be grateful if you could adjust your bookmarks etc.

From today the new address for the site is http://sfha.sqweebs.com/index.htm.

During the changeover process, I've taken the time to adjust the font and mend a number of broken links. The Club Directory though will still be at the old geocities address for the time being, sqweebs doesn't recognise excel files for some reason. I'm therefore looking at ways to save the file somewhere easily accessible before Geocities finally closes.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:08 pm

Rob wrote:What other sites are on Geocities that could be lost. There must be a few worth saving that have been forgotton about by the authors.
I don't know if it has been forgotten about but Liam McGurk's excellent site on Scottish football in Europe hasn't been updated since February 2008.

Cinneide

Post by Cinneide » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Internet Archive's Wayback Machine is archiving Geocities sites. More details here.

I have submitted Brian's SFHA, the Bethlehem Steel site, and Liam's Scotland in Europe site. All three were already archived, but they should now get a fresh grab of pages.
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:28 pm

Excellent work. The internet archive is a terrific site in general, particularly its live music archive.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 pm

scottish wrote:
Rob wrote:What other sites are on Geocities that could be lost. There must be a few worth saving that have been forgotton about by the authors.
I don't know if it has been forgotten about but Liam McGurk's excellent site on Scottish football in Europe hasn't been updated since February 2008.
I've met Liam on a couple of Euro trips and emailed him a few months ago about the missing updates on his website but unfortunately I didn't get a response.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 pm

I was in correspondence with him some years ago but not for some time. A pity it hasn't been updated as it was a very valuable resource.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Alas,it would appear that the sqweebs hosting agent has crossed the Styx! The SFHA site hasn't been available for a number of days so I'm therefore returning to Geocities in the meantime. Yahoo will eventually be taking over all the old Geocities sites at no extra cost so I'll be remaining with them indefinitely. I'm currently updating the old Geocities site with the Sqweebs material over the next few days so that it'll be online, however some links will needed to be updated, but these will be few and the whole site should be error free by the start of next week. I'm sorry about this runaroud, but its a necessary evil, I'm afraid.

The site's address will therefore revert to...

www.geocities.com/br1anmccoll

Thanks

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:51 pm

It now appears the sqweebs site is up running again! What I'll do is maintain the sqweebs as a mirror site to the geocities one... just in case!!! :roll:

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Geocities has finally closed.

I am, therefore, AGAIN, transferring the site, this time to Yahoo. The new address is www.scottish-football-historical-archive.com, but the site wont be fully active until I've uploaded all the pages. In the meantime some links wont work, but these'll be rectified in due course. John Meffen has also allowed me to use his superb archive of Falkirk and Stirlingshire information, of which I have a full copy of, on the site, which, as it was also a Geocities site, is now no longer available.

Thanks (again) for your patience.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:45 pm

After Geocities closed, I discovered I didn't have all the pages relating to club tours. The PC I created these on went into meltdown a couple of years ago, so I don't have the original copies. Has anyone saved these, and if so can they be sent to me so I can update the site?