A New Record

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

A New Record

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:49 pm

First time a Scottish club has lost to a Welsh one in Europe. Welcome to 2009-10.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:18 pm

I reckon this even eclipses the likes of Skonto Riga, Mypa 47 and Hafnarfjordur! This is a club from a league that boasts only TWO matches in the entire campaign that can muster in excess of 1,000 spectators (the Rhyl v Prestatyn derbys).
Motherwell can't even use the excuse of the opposition being in their league campaign at present seeing as the LoW is a winter league like ours. A truly awful, but not surprising, indictment of the state of our top league I think.
And to think that Gold and Blair were singing its praises in the light of the Setanta collapse!
Serious questions must be asked as to why we are evidently producing such footballing pap at the so-called highest level. A certain centre down Ayrshire way might be a decent place to start the investigation.
And by the way, don't rule out the possibility of that footballing stronghold of Liechtenstein joining this growing list of humiliators!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:08 am

Alan McCabe wrote: And by the way, don't rule out the possibility of that footballing stronghold of Liechtenstein joining this growing list of humiliators!
Livingston only got past Vaduz on away goals seven seasons ago!

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:42 am

I was going to post on here yesterday afternoon to ask if it was too early to start 2009-10 predictions with my first one being Motherwell to be ousted by Llanelli. I didn't get the confidence some Motherwell fans were displaying. They wouldn't automatically expect their heroes to beat anyone from the top half of the Scottish First Division so why did they think they'd trample over the Welsh League runners-up? They were even described by one Well fan - who presumably watches Llanelli every week - as 'Highland League' material.

It's just the kind of result you want as you try and persuade Sky and/or ESPN to part with millions for our game.

To be perfectly blunt, I have absolutely no confidence in any Scottish team outwith Rangers and Celtic winning a match in Europe - regardless of the opposition.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:16 am

lbb wrote:....
To be perfectly blunt, I have absolutely no confidence in any Scottish team outwith Rangers and Celtic winning a match in Europe - regardless of the opposition.
Well, Rangers did win their home leg in their last outing.....
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:23 am

Sat31March1928 wrote:Well, Rangers did win their home leg in their last outing.....
Rangers held Kaunas to a 0-0 draw at Ibrox!

I'm not talking about individual matches or ties. I'm taking a general view and that view is that I never believe that any of the non-OF teams will win their ties let alone individual matches. That's not to say it never happens - or that the OF always win their matches and ties - but that by taking that view I'm usually more right than wrong, sadly.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm sorry but I always believed Motherwell were rank rotten, all that talk of "good Football" never convinced me ever.
In case of opprobrium back, I don't say the mighty FFC play "good football" either, a team that survives by the skin of their teeth are where they ought to be.
But it doesn't take away from the fact that Motherwell are NOT a good Football team.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:29 pm

John Meffen wrote:But it doesn't take away from the fact that Motherwell are NOT a good Football team.
Even a rank rotten Scottish side should be capable of taking care of Welsh League opponents.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:57 am

No fear of any Zizkov or Kaunas-style result if Football 365 is to be believed. According to them the same night Motherwell lost to Llanelli saw Rangers get off to a winning start v Linfield! Nice to see four new players all getting a goal. Walter Smith must be delighted.

upthewell

Post by upthewell » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:28 am

Sorry - have been away for a while but as the resident Well fan I should offer some way of a riposte to the slander above!

Without going into the definition of a good football team, what teams qualify for this and whether they earned this through consistently delivering good performances season after season we were rank rotten at two things last Thursday.

Defending one corner and lacking sharpness up front.

And I wasn't at the game as I'd been booked for a 4 night stay at Centerparcs in Cumbria since January. Perhaps this was a blessing!

Anyway - I had the BBC text updates on my phone as well as constant texting from my mate at the game and have since read quite a bit about the game.

Things that need to be taken into some kind of consideration:

1) We had lost one of, if not our best manager since 1991.
2) We had also lost a lot of the players that enabled us to finish only 7th last season. We were mediocre last season - but taking players like Quinn, Smith, Hughes, Clarkson, Klimpl etc out is going to weaken us dramatically.
3) Some of the replacements have hardly played for the first team - Forbes was making his debut.

I wasn't confident - being a Well fan I rarely am - and any postings that I make about us being favourites are hugely tongue in cheek.

So the defeat was a hard one to take - but not totally out of the blue. The tie certainly hangs in the balance and I am hoping (no more than hope) that we can improve on the goal scoring before Thursday.

Finally - in Mark MgGhee's 1st season with us I think for some long spells that we were a good footballing side. The front trio of McCormack, Porter and Clarkson were a joy to watch.

upthewell

Re: A New Record

Post by upthewell » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:33 pm

scottish wrote:First time a Scottish club has lost to a Welsh one in Europe. Welcome to 2009-10.
Well beaten on aggregate though - thankfully!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:43 pm

Credit where it's due. Also, I believe, the first time a Scottish side has overcome a home first leg deficit to progress. Motherwell can also claim an odd piece of history as the last Scottish team to play in the UEFA Cup and the first to take part in the Europa League.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 am

Oh, by the way, when I said motherwell were not very good at football, I stand by it, but now the best team in Stirlingshire who were by any standards much worse than Mu'wull now have to face there first extra-national competition [unless you count Coventry in the Texaco Cup!!!!]

I'm in a lost place

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:35 am

John Meffen wrote:there
feel like such an idiot, clearly "their"

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:20 pm

And safe to say that's the first time a Scottish club has lost to one from Liechtenstein. If the BBC stats are anywhere near accurate then there isn't even the old Andy Roxburgh/Craig Brown excuse to fall back on.

55-45 possession in favour of Vaduz. 22 shots to Falkirk's 2. 14 on target to the Bairns' zero. 19 corners to 2. The only stats showing parity are for fouls and bookings!

We are in need of a new word. I've tried everything I can think of - humiliation, shame, disgrace, embarrassment, abject, miserable, wretched, dismal, horrible, terrible, dreadful. None of them are strong enough to describe this result. In a competition not lacking in contenders this is now surely the worst ever in Europe.

I'm just waiting for some Liechtensteiner to start giving it the "William Wallace, Robert The Bruce, Robert Burns, Walter Scott, Robert Louis Stevenson" routine.

I can imagine it now - "Jimmy Krankie, can you hear me Jimmy Krankie...?"

Still, here's something that didn't look likely to be said at the start of this thread - thank feck for Motherwell!

Altogether now, "Scanderbeg, King Zog, Enver Hoxha, Mother Teresa, can you hear me Mother Teresa?"
Last edited by Scottish on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.