Patsy Gallacher

The place to discuss Scottish football
John Meffen

Patsy Gallacher

Post by John Meffen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am

The famous Inside Right of both Celtic & Falkirk, Patsy Gallacher, was born Patrick Gallagher according to his biography. I'm just wondering how he was mainly known as during his Celtic days: Gallacher or Gallagher

His Biography - The Mighty Atom: The Life and times of Patsy Gallacher, says they changed to the more scottish spelling when the family moved to Scotland c1905

But I still get various spellings even in Falkirk Matches

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:10 pm

A great answer is provided by 'A Celtic A-Z' by Tom Campbell & Pat Woods. They say the family was known as Gallacher as a result of a nameplate with that spelling being attached to their door!

The Mighty Atom

Post by The Mighty Atom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:43 pm

I think the uncertainty stems from the fact that Patsy's parents were illiterate hence the story about the nameplate. Not uncommon for Irish immigrant names to be re-spelt into more accustomed versions when births/deaths/marriages being registered in Scotland in the 19th century.

I think that Patsy's family (as shown through footballing sons Willie and Tommy and internationalist grandson Kevin) have long adopted the 'c' spelling but as can be seen from the range of programmes/photos/cigarette cards shown below it was very much left in the hands of the sub-editors etc to decide what spelling they preferred in the great man's heyday:

http://www.kerrydalestreet.com/page/Gal ... tsy+-+Pics