Easy predictions

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Easy predictions

Post by Scottish » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:29 pm

I had to go out at half-time today so never saw the second half of the Hamilton-Rangers game. With the Accies leading 3-2 my wife asked me if I thought they could hang on. "It all depends," I said, "on whether they will be able to cope with the Rangers penalty and/or having a man sent off, one or both of which will surely occur if the score is still 3-2 after the first fifteen minutes of the second half."

I get back in and surprise, surprise........ it's like the old adage of having to knock out the home boxer to get a draw in Italy. In Scotland you'd better make sure you're at least two goals to the good v the OF to have any chance.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 pm

David: You're becoming cynical in your old age - but good shout just the same.
Snuff

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:14 am

Wouldn`t it just save time & effort if Rangers were give a penalty goal against 10 men BEFORE kick off?

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:57 am

Neither Hamilton's penalty or Rangers' penalty should have been awarded.

The red card was correct.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:04 am

lbb wrote:Neither Hamilton's penalty or Rangers' penalty should have been awarded.

The red card was correct.
The red card was correct, although his first booking was harsh. Fairly irrelevant though, he knew he was on a booking and deserved to be sent off for the second one.

Rangers penalty was a joke award by a referee who hopefully was quite embarrassed when he saw it again later. The word "deliberate" is still in the rules with respect to handball. Shocked to see Kenny Clark attempting to justify the decision this morning.

Hamilton's penalty was soft. It was a foul for me though. Broadfoot got nowhere near the ball, was never going to, and certainly barged McLaughlan over. I accept those are routinely ignored and we'd get ten penalties a game if they start awarding them but it's still a foul.
Last edited by Skyline Drifter on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 am

I don't consider that either booking was harsh. What was he thinking with the second challenge? He may have considered it possible that he would get 'one more warning' and would be allowed to commit another bad challenge after that one before being sent off. Unfortunately, Scottish football is like that.

Richmond may have been told at HT that he'd erred with the Hamilton penalty and was looking to even it up. It happens. There was a fair bit of a scrum and he obviously formed the view that Elliot had deliberately blocked Papac's through ball. He was wrong. Elliott's Wikipedia entry says he has 'strong religious beliefs' so no doubt he will accept it gracefully as the will of God.

I didn't see any foul by Broadfoot at the Hamilton penalty. I actually thought McLaughlin's leap in the air was so pathetic that he was going to be booked for being an arse. I was shocked to see Richmond point to the spot. Dem is de breaks.

Shame it's going to be a replay with a league match between the two clubs coming up too. It'll feel like a World Series between Hamilton Academicals and Rangers by the time of the replay.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:57 pm

lbb wrote:I didn't see any foul by Broadfoot at the Hamilton penalty. I actually thought McLaughlin's leap in the air was so pathetic that he was going to be booked for being an arse. I was shocked to see Richmond point to the spot. Dem is de breaks.

Shame it's going to be a replay with a league match between the two clubs coming up too. It'll feel like a World Series between Hamilton Academicals and Rangers by the time of the replay.
It's a foul for me. He jumped into an opponent with absolutely no prospect of getting the ball.

We played Accies three times in ten days in 2006 having drawn with them in the Scottish Cup. We also drew the league meeting in between and then lost the cup replay in extra time. Three 90 minute draws though.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote: It's a foul for me. He jumped into an opponent with absolutely no prospect of getting the ball.
Takes all sorts but if Kyle Lafferty got an award like that I think there would be more of an outcry.
Skyline Drifter wrote:We played Accies three times in ten days in 2006 having drawn with them in the Scottish Cup. We also drew the league meeting in between and then lost the cup replay in extra time. Three 90 minute draws though.
Sounds a right barrel of laughs.

I hope both clubs are 'sensible' in their pricing for the replay given i) it will be the third meeting in 10 days, ii) the Manchester derby is on Sky the same night and iii) it's January and we're in the middle of an Arctic winter.

Alternatively, they'll charge £25 and the press will content themselves with jibes about 'fickle fans'.

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:21 pm

As for Kenny Clark's column, why would anyone be surprised?

One of my biggest pet hates is former referees being trotted out in the media whenever there are controversial decisions. They will never ever do anything other than back up their mates to the hilt. They're just pointless, predictable columns.

Graham Poll and Jeff Winter in England, Kenny Clark and Stuart Dougal up here. Kenny Clark, to try to be fair to him, is slightly more fair and moderate than Dougal, who comes across in his columns the same as he did on the pitch - arrogant and confrontational, with attacks on the players and managers involved.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:18 am

msdkfc wrote:As for Kenny Clark's column, why would anyone be surprised?

One of my biggest pet hates is former referees being trotted out in the media whenever there are controversial decisions. They will never ever do anything other than back up their mates to the hilt. They're just pointless, predictable columns.

Graham Poll and Jeff Winter in England, Kenny Clark and Stuart Dougal up here. Kenny Clark, to try to be fair to him, is slightly more fair and moderate than Dougal, who comes across in his columns the same as he did on the pitch - arrogant and confrontational, with attacks on the players and managers involved.
Don't think I've ever read Stuart Dougal. Which paper is his column in?

I usually quite like Kenny Clark's stuff. I met him on a few occasions and always found him an entirely reasonable person. I also rarely saw him referee a bad game. For me he was easily our best referee up to his retirement. I think he's wrong on this one though and was surprised he attempted to defend the decision given that he'd had a chance to look at replays etc which Richmond hadn't.

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:11 pm

The Daily Record, i think, on a Monday.