Dilly Bodds

The place to discuss Scottish football
lbb

Dilly Bodds

Post by lbb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:40 am

It's interesting how quickly you can go off a team.

I had kind of hoped that Dundee would win the First Division this season - decent squad, reasonable support base, Tayside derbies - but now the presence of a self-promoting jug-eared twerp has made me switch allegiance to Inverness CT/Dunfermline/Ross County.

Weird, eh?

Billy Dodds for Jocky Scott? Are they passing the peace pipe around at Dens Park?

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Dilly Bodds

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:52 pm

lbb wrote: Billy Dodds for Jocky Scott? Are they passing the peace pipe around at Dens Park?
I thought it was Gordon Chisholm? With Dodds as assistant?

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:44 pm

scottish wrote:
lbb wrote: Billy Dodds for Jocky Scott? Are they passing the peace pipe around at Dens Park?
Apparently so. I wonder if Billy will actually turn up at Dundee, though. The only time he appeared to turn up at QotS was when they played Rangers on the BBC and there he was, centre-stage, arms folded, king of all he surveyed. The following week he was back on BBC Open All Mics asking people 'what's the score with Queens?' It's a strange relationship. Does he get Gordon Chisholm into jobs that he wouldn't normally get? Is he the face (and what a face it is) of the relationship and Chisholm the brains? We'll soon find out, I s'pose.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:07 pm

I read today that Chisolm is the first person to manage both Dundee clubs, fact or fiction?

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:29 pm

lbb wrote:
scottish wrote:
Apparently so. I wonder if Billy will actually turn up at Dundee, though. The only time he appeared to turn up at QotS was when they played Rangers on the BBC and there he was, centre-stage, arms folded, king of all he surveyed. The following week he was back on BBC Open All Mics asking people 'what's the score with Queens?' It's a strange relationship. Does he get Gordon Chisholm into jobs that he wouldn't normally get? Is he the face (and what a face it is) of the relationship and Chisholm the brains? We'll soon find out, I s'pose.
I have to say it always strikes me as odd too... Gets lauded around the BBC for his impact at Queen's, sitting in the Sportscene Results studio at 4:50pm.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:I read today that Chisolm is the first person to manage both Dundee clubs, fact or fiction?
Fact. Plenty of players have played for both or played for one and managed the other but Chisholm is the first to manage both of them. Jim McLean had a coaching role at Dundee before becoming United manager.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:10 am

HibeeJibee wrote:
lbb wrote:
scottish wrote: I thought it was Gordon Chisholm? With Dodds as assistant?
I have to say it always strikes me as odd too... Gets lauded around the BBC for his impact at Queen's, sitting in the Sportscene Results studio at 4:50pm.
Billy Dodds was Chisholm's chosen appointee for assistant at Queens when he got the job. However, after weighing up the finances, Dodds wasn't willing to give up his BBC work for what we were prepared to pay an assistant. So he stayed put and Kenny Brannigan got the assistants position instead, very much as a second choice.

There it could have stayed but to be fair to him, rather than just sit on his backside Dodds became "Strikers Coach" at Queens and attended training every day (unless he was abroad with the BBC) without taking a penny for it. The benefits of that showed in our strikers very quickly and by all accounts he did a superb job with them, improving the returns of Dobbie and Weatherston in particular.

His media role meant appearances on match days were few and far between though not quite as seldom as the two Rangers games. He was on the bench at Nordsjaelland away, at Sunday Challenge Cup games when the BBC had no sports programming (including Ross County away this season) and at any midweek reserve or friendly matches when there was no sports programming either. At the end of the day given what his role became, not being there on matchdays made little difference. He did a damn good job with us and deserves the credit he got for it.

Dundee of course are able to pay significantly more for an assistant manager and he's given up his regular BBC role to go there, though I expect to see him on the BBC occasionally still no doubt.

I wish him, and Gordon, all the best for the future. BUT NOT TONIGHT.

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote: Billy Dodds was Chisholm's chosen appointee for assistant at Queens when he got the job. However, after weighing up the finances, Dodds wasn't willing to give up his BBC work for what we were prepared to pay an assistant. So he stayed put and Kenny Brannigan got the assistants position instead, very much as a second choice.

There it could have stayed but to be fair to him, rather than just sit on his backside Dodds became "Strikers Coach" at Queens and attended training every day (unless he was abroad with the BBC) without taking a penny for it. The benefits of that showed in our strikers very quickly and by all accounts he did a superb job with them, improving the returns of Dobbie and Weatherston in particular.

His media role meant appearances on match days were few and far between though not quite as seldom as the two Rangers games. He was on the bench at Nordsjaelland away, at Sunday Challenge Cup games when the BBC had no sports programming (including Ross County away this season) and at any midweek reserve or friendly matches when there was no sports programming either. At the end of the day given what his role became, not being there on matchdays made little difference. He did a damn good job with us and deserves the credit he got for it.

Dundee of course are able to pay significantly more for an assistant manager and he's given up his regular BBC role to go there, though I expect to see him on the BBC occasionally still no doubt.

I wish him, and Gordon, all the best for the future. BUT NOT TONIGHT.
Fair enough, S_D. I had considered the possibility that he was doing coaching work during the week and media work at the weekend. That's fair enough. It was his conduct during the League Cup match between QotS and Rangers earlier in the season where he stood pompously on the track in full view of the cameras as though he was the manager. He also conducted the pre-match and HT interviews with BBC TV that night, too. Gordon Chisholm just might not be too comfortable giving interviews but it smacked of poor conduct by Dodds, muscling the guy out of the limelight.

If Queens fans are happy with his role during his time at the club then that's all there is to it. Would still find it funny if he failed at Dundee, mind you.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:38 pm

lbb wrote: It was his conduct during the League Cup match between QotS and Rangers earlier in the season where he stood pompously on the track in full view of the cameras as though he was the manager. He also conducted the pre-match and HT interviews with BBC TV that night, too.
Aye, don't you just hate it when those assistants get above themselves like that.

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:50 pm

scottish wrote: Aye, don't you just hate it when those assistants get above themselves like that.

At least Super Alphonso actually works for Rangers! Dodds wasn't exactly pushing himself forward every week for the interviews. Looked suspicious. S_D has explained it. I still think there's an element of self-promotion about the guy.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 am

It is also fair to point out that the media boys themselves were probably pushing Chisholm aside in their haste to talk to their buddy Doddsy. Who gives better head (so to speak) - cheeky chappie Coisty or boring, grey old Uncle Walter? (Ask Chick.) These people are paid to produce entertainment - they don't just sit there and interview whoever they're told to, especially not at clubs not used to being in the media spotlight.
Fraser

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am

As I said above, Dodds effectively worked four days a week for us every week and refused to take a penny for it. I didn't get to know him terribly well because he wasn't at matches very often and training is in Glasgow whilst my own involvement is round matches mainly and Dumfries based through the week. However, on the few occasions I did chat with him I found him enthusiastic, far more interested in things than we had any right to expect a non-partisan volunteer to be and by all accounts genuinely good at what he did too. The players appear to love working with him and his contribution was pretty obvious in the productivity of the strikers too, particularly the two I mentioned before.

I was never much of a fan of Dodds until he came here but I very much am now. Notwithstanding what he may say on tv (and he's far from the worst), he's a genuinely decent guy.

Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:09 pm

scottish wrote:Fact. Plenty of players have played for both or played for one and managed the other but Chisholm is the first to manage both of them. Jim McLean had a coaching role at Dundee before becoming United manager.
It is a bit of a surprising fact given that the two clubs have shared a good deal more personnel than, say, the Old Firm.

United managers who have also played across the road are Herbert Dainty, Sam Irving, Charlie McGillivray, Reggie Smith, Tommy Gray, Andy McCall, Jim McLean, Billy Kirkwood and Ian McCall. Kirkwood and, as mentioned, McLean also coached at Dens.

Ex-United players who have managed Dundee are fewer and more recent, just Donald Mackay, Archie Knox, Gordon Wallace and Iain Munro. Wallace comes the closest to having managed the pair, having had a caretaker spell in charge at Tannadice. Jocky Scott has coached at Tannadice in addition to his numerous spells in the Dundee hotseat.

And also, honourable mentions to John Blackley, an assistant manager at both clubs and a Dundee caretaker boss, and of course Billy Dodds who as well as becoming new assistant to Chisholm has played for both clubs and been in temporary charrge of United.