Today's match commentary from Rugby Park

The place to discuss Scottish football
Post Reply
Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7811
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Today's match commentary from Rugby Park

Post by Scottish » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

I've heard some poor commentators in my time but today things reached a new low. Some examples:

Less than two minutes in and the cameras clearly catch Fraser Wright shaking his head and being helped off by the physio. The commentator - Brian Etherson - says that Wright looks okay and will soon return.

The ball flies across the face of the Aberdeen goal. Mr Etherson says it is the Killie goalmouth before correcting himself. Okay, perhaps that was a simple slip of the tongue but no, shortly afterwards Cammy Bell pulls off a good save and Etherson says that if good goalkeeping inspires confidence than surely Aberdeen will now have plenty of it. Again, he corrects himself.

He correctly refers to the own goal as being from Davide Grassi but later on calls the same player Daniel Grassi.

Every time a player goes down Etherson wonders if "he'll be able to carry on." Except for when Danny Invincibile, who has been hobbling for five minutes or so is about to be replaced. Then he wonders who will be subbed, eventually asking if it might be Invincibile

He says the second goal was scored by Kevin Kyle when the scorer was Allan Russell. He mixes these two players up all game. Russell is a sometime actor and male model while Kyle is well, .....an unlikely entrant in any acting or modelling competition outside of a Frankenstein stand-in. Russell also had the letters R U S S E L L on the back of his shirt and Kyle has the letters K Y L E.

Pretty difficult to mix up I would have thought.

Etherson says there's a booking coming when the referee gets his book out - to note the name of the substitute coming on.

Several times he claims a booking is imminent only to retract when it is clear there isn't.

A signal from the ref that any more funny business from Scott Leitch on the Aberdeen bench and he'll be sent to the stand is misinterpreted as an ordering off to the stand.

Having made so many mistakes on bookings and players names he hums and haws until Garry Hay's name is flashed up on screen before telling us that Hay has been booked.

The commentary is riddled with cliches throughout - I lost count of the number of times things weren't "going according to plan" or the number of players with a "cultured left foot." As for "what magic has been worked by Mark McGhee at half-time" I can only assume he was thinking of the vanishing act put on by several Dons players after the break.

Finally, in a match in which one side were fighting to avoid relegation and with the very existence of the club in doubt should they go down and another with a (very) slim chance of a top six spot provided they win all their pre-split fixtures and their rivals lose all of theirs, guess what emphasis the commentator put on the match?

That's right. The plight of Aberdeen.

killiegradge
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:16 pm
Contact:

Post by killiegradge » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:13 pm

And I thought the loud mouthed "girl" who sat behind us in the East Stand was bad!She gets worse by the week.
I also dont like the way every fan at games these days(and the ones who dont go are worse) are experts on every aspect of football . The person next to me at a recent game was critical of JC for his "formation" not being correct and his team not "having enough width". I blame Andy Gray and his silly tactics board?
Of course there could only be one winner on today of all days-it just had to be the team managed by JC!

Gorgiewave
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Post by Gorgiewave » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:28 pm

That's an hilarious account, David.

I get more riled by over-excited commentators than by mistakes but Etherson sounds clueless. Being articulate should be non-negotiable for anybody whose job is speaking in public.

The BBC Scotland commentators and studio panel sound (with the exception of Richard Gordon) like a gang of silly wee boys who have been allowed to play with a microphone. It is completely embarrassing. I would like to encourage some people in Spain to take some interest in Scottish football through the internet, but Sportsound's effort is woeful.

Bring back Pathé News!
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

Insertnamehere
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:32 pm
Location: Barrhead
Contact:

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:41 am

I didnt make a game on Saturday but watched Sky Socer Saturday instead of heading to the Costa Del Largs......... anyway Richard Keys shouts "news of a sending off at Portsmouth" camera switches to Krisa Camara who looks puzzled, no idea what your talking about he says! Keys apologises then gets another message in his ear, "Kris we have it that Vanden Borre has been sent off for Pompey" Camara....... "OH I thought he had been sustituted and wondered why I couldnt see who replaced him" :shock:

lbb
Posts: 1317
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:25 am
Contact:

Post by lbb » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Gorgiewave wrote:The BBC Scotland commentators and studio panel sound (with the exception of Richard Gordon) like a gang of silly wee boys who have been allowed to play with a microphone.
Agreed. I can't believe the difference in this programme. You think of the days of Bob Crampsey, Gordon Smith, Alex Cameron, James Traynor (before his ego took flight), Willie Miller, etc. It was always interesting listening and you would usually get a good, sensible debate. Whoever decided that 'Biscuits' Preston, Craig Paterson, Derek Ferguson, John Robertson were a prize debating team needs tarred and feathered. The transformation can be summed up by the fact that prize turd Chick Young was the butt of jokes 10-12 years ago and is now one of the heavyweights of the programme. :evil: Loads of pathetic in-jokes, squabbling over whose turn it is to shout the loudest in Open All Mics, patronising female reporters (from Young, in particular, which is especially insulting given he makes John Prescott sound like Stephen Fry), the general air of a boys club outing with the listener a secondary consideration.

Awful, awful listening.

I can't understand which demographic they think will find the programme appealing. Radio Clyde have the Daily Star/Daily Sport/Beano demographic sewn up. Real Radio are clearly aimed at the contradictory, fills-the-pages/airtime opinions of Sun/Record readers. So who actually listens to this rubbish?

killiegradge
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:16 pm
Contact:

Post by killiegradge » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 pm

I really don't understand what has happened to BBC Sportsound.
Only Richard Gordon and Craig Patterson are worthy of a place on the show.I also think Pat Nevin is decent on his rare appearances on the show. Preston,Robertson and Ferguson really are a joke as far as broadcasters go. I think a lot of it comes from them being "football people" as they say. Its just like the managers etc always talk about fellow managers being a good "footbal man". The insinuation is that you can only manage or comment on football if you have played the game at professional level.
Unfortunately the quality of football journalism has dropped even faster than the quality of the SPL in recent years.
There is certainly plenty room in the game for a few decent journalists both in the written and braoadcasting media.

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7811
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I've said it before but the performance of this guy on Sunday makes it worht repeating. As far as football journalism and broadcasting goes it is evolution in reverse:

Crampsey>Archer>Spiers>Traynor>Broadfoot>Etherson

lbb
Posts: 1317
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:25 am
Contact:

Post by lbb » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:56 pm

killiegradge wrote:I really don't understand what has happened to BBC Sportsound.
Only Richard Gordon and Craig Patterson are worthy of a place on the show.I also think Pat Nevin is decent on his rare appearances on the show.
Nevin is a strange one. I find him quite smarmy and slimy on BBC Scotland but I don't mind him on five. He comes across quite well when covering English and European games though.

I just think Sportsound has declined due to bad management. Their coverage post-match in the CIS Cup Final was incredible. The level of unprofessionalism from the likes of Young (who behaved with all the maturity of Ian Wright after the Northern Ireland-England game) and Preston was staggering and yet went unchallenged. They've also went down the road of 'supporter interaction' without realising you need to discriminate. You can't just let any fool text, email or phone in his moronic opinion and then debate it as though it is actually worth debating. You are free to discount it and, yes, laugh at the pathetic attempt at rational thought. You wouldn't have Newsnight Review debating the merits of Coronation Street (at least not often) so, yes, let's be elitist. There's always the Record Hotline and Ian Grant from Falkirk and Isabelle Livingston with their comforting 3-line view of Scottish football. We don't need it from the BBC, too.

You're right about the impression that one almost has to defer to the views of 'Biscuits' Preston and Craig Paterson on the grounds they once kicked a ball around and got paid for it. About 20 years ago. If you've got Alan Hansen or Graeme Souness then I'll accept it.

Brian Etherson came from Setanta, I'm sure. The Setanta crew seem to have been hired en masse (no jokes please) by Sky with the tragic exception of Jim Delahunt. :lol: I only saw the first-half of the Hibs-Celtic game so don't know what he was like for the Kilmarnock match. Sounds as though he was having a Princess Margaret experience. Quite liked Jim Proudfoot when he did a few Setanta games.

Gorgiewave
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Post by Gorgiewave » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm

lbb wrote:
killiegradge wrote:I really don't understand what has happened to BBC Sportsound.
Only Richard Gordon and Craig Patterson are worthy of a place on the show.I also think Pat Nevin is decent on his rare appearances on the show.
Nevin is a strange one. I find him quite smarmy and slimy on BBC Scotland but I don't mind him on five. He comes across quite well when covering English and European games though.

I just think Sportsound has declined due to bad management. Their coverage post-match in the CIS Cup Final was incredible. The level of unprofessionalism from the likes of Young (who behaved with all the maturity of Ian Wright after the Northern Ireland-England game) and Preston was staggering and yet went unchallenged. They've also went down the road of 'supporter interaction' without realising you need to discriminate. You can't just let any fool text, email or phone in his moronic opinion and then debate it as though it is actually worth debating. You are free to discount it and, yes, laugh at the pathetic attempt at rational thought. You wouldn't have Newsnight Review debating the merits of Coronation Street (at least not often) so, yes, let's be elitist. There's always the Record Hotline and Ian Grant from Falkirk and Isabelle Livingston with their comforting 3-line view of Scottish football. We don't need it from the BBC, too.

You're right about the impression that one almost has to defer to the views of 'Biscuits' Preston and Craig Paterson on the grounds they once kicked a ball around and got paid for it. About 20 years ago. If you've got Alan Hansen or Graeme Souness then I'll accept it.

Brian Etherson came from Setanta, I'm sure. The Setanta crew seem to have been hired en masse (no jokes please) by Sky with the tragic exception of Jim Delahunt. :lol: I only saw the first-half of the Hibs-Celtic game so don't know what he was like for the Kilmarnock match. Sounds as though he was having a Princess Margaret experience. Quite liked Jim Proudfoot when he did a few Setanta games.
It is also a great shame that the word "discriminate" has lost its real meaning in recent years and is now a bad word. Racism, sexism, anti-Catholicism, etc., may be "discrimination along irrelevant lines" or "unfair prejudice" but discrimination on its own should not convey the sense of injustice that is intended.

There are apparently no Bob Crampsey recordings on youtube; if and when they appear I'll be delighted.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7811
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:58 pm

lbb wrote: You wouldn't have Newsnight Review debating the merits of Coronation Street (at least not often)


You would - and you should - but that's a different argument entirely.
lbb wrote:There's always the Record Hotline and Ian Grant from Falkirk and Isabelle Livingston with their comforting 3-line view of Scottish football. We don't need it from the BBC, too.
Are they still on the go? I thought that in the age of the internet the newspaper phone-in (as opposed to radio & tv) had gone the same way as hot metal. Has no one introduced them to each other? Or at least encouraged them to swap numbers? My wife worked as a sub-editor on a national newspaper for several years and she told me then that the reason for the inclusion of so many 'space-fillers' was precisely that. Nothing to do with content, just that they tidied up the page.

Mind you I spent three years in the same lecture hall as the modern master of the space-filler, Keith Flett. He could (and does) bore for England inside a couple of lines. I suppose the day he found Twitter was the day he first thought there was a God after all.

Tom Brogan
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Post by Tom Brogan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 am

Here's the clip of Chris Kamara earning his fat paypoke as a pundit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8gKmQ6Hrro

Gorgiewave
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Post by Gorgiewave » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:25 am

One may be assured, incidentally, that the commentators on Spanish National Radio last night thought nothing of letting themselves and the country down while supposedly "describing" the action on the pitch. Not only the abusrdly over-excited shouting - the famous "¡GOOOOOL!" tone is repeated for corners and shots that sail harmlessly wide - but also in-jokes and a lot of chat not quite about the match. Several times the main commentator (I don't know his name) had to interrupt himself and pals to remind them all that listeners might not be able to follow the action for the lack of effort on all sides to describe it. And the in-jokes made one feel as if one was in a bar full of exciteable young men, or worse, listening to Radio Scotland.

Please do football proud and describe and analyse it in attractive, intelligent language.

Rant over. Messi nothing special. Might get a game for St. Mirren if they stay up.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7811
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Post by Scottish » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 am

I watched via Sky but the Spanish TV commentators have to add in some stupid 'links' during match commentaries in general. While the British ones have the task of reminding you when their next live matches are, the Spanish ones are busy 'informing' the public that some imported American action series will be on after the game or imploring them to phone or text in to win a car or a new tv or some such.

The 2008 European Championships saw this nonsense at its height when at half-time constant reminders to watch 'Dexter' or 'Desperate Housewives' saw said programmes trailed along the bottom of the screen with the characters draped in Spanish football colours.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests