Oldast ground sections in the SPL?

The place to discuss Scottish football
MadMac

Oldast ground sections in the SPL?

Post by MadMac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Following on from the "urban myth" re Kilmarnock's main stand (just how old is it, anyway?), it got me thinking about pre-1960s parts of grounds.

Ibrox - Main Stand, 1929

Tynecastle - Main stand (post-WW2?)

Pittodrie - Main Stand (date?)

Fir Park - East Stand (cover dates from 1954, roof replaced in 1959)

Tannadice - 'Shed' (date?)

Something also sticks in my mind that Celtic's main stand wasn't a complete rebuild in the early 70s, but retained the original 'guts'.

LLD

Re: Oldast ground sections in the SPL?

Post by LLD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:44 pm

MadMac wrote:Following on from the "urban myth" re Kilmarnock's main stand (just how old is it, anyway?), it got me thinking about pre-1960s parts of grounds.

Ibrox - Main Stand, 1929

Tynecastle - Main stand (post-WW2?)

Pittodrie - Main Stand (date?)

Fir Park - East Stand (cover dates from 1954, roof replaced in 1959)

Tannadice - 'Shed' (date?)

Something also sticks in my mind that Celtic's main stand wasn't a complete rebuild in the early 70s, but retained the original 'guts'.
The main stand at Tynecastle dates from 1914 and could be oldest remaining part of an SPL stadium.

Some parts of Celtic's South Stand date to 1929.

Tannadice Shed roof dates from 1957-58 according to Simon Inglis' Football Grounds of Great Britain (3rd Ed, 1996)

The same book suggests that the current Rugby Park stand incorporated the old one which had been there since the pitch was moved to it's current position in 1899.

In the SFL... some golden oldies include:

Main stand at Cliftonhill - c.1921

Somerset Park main stand (original bit) - 1924. Other parts of the ground may be older.

Cemetery End at Brechin - 1929

Central Park - original stand - 1921

Dens Park - main stand - 1921

Cappielow main stand - 1931

Firhill main stand - 1927

Palmerston terracing cover was erected in 1958 but the terracing itself is older.

Stark's Park main stand - 1922

There could be older structures in juniors and senior non-league. Vale of Leven's Millburn Park enclosure would be my best guess.

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Oldast ground sections in the SPL?

Post by Scottish » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 pm

MadMac wrote:Following on from the "urban myth" re Kilmarnock's main stand (just how old is it, anyway?
Less than fifty years. Richard Cairns and John Livingston produced an excellent booklet 'Field of Dreams' to mark the centenary of the current Rugby Park in 1999. This has a great photo of the (then) new West Stand (then also the only stand) being built over the top of the old one in the summer of 1961. The capacity was 4,200 seated and 2,900 in the standing enclosure at the bottom of the stand compared to 1,900 seats in the old one.