INTERNATIONALISTS

The place to discuss Scottish football
Post Reply
LEATHERSTOCKING
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm
Contact:

INTERNATIONALISTS

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Rangers` Scott Gallacher played the 2nd half of last night`s U21 vs. Sweden. He`s on loan @ Forfar until the end of December. As far as I can see no Loons player has ever been capped @ U23, U21 or Full level. I would imagine that Rangers are still paying his wages so he`s still a full Ibrox player but he`s currently plying his trade @ Sation Park so I think it`s legitimate to class him as a Forfar player for last night`s game("Rangers - on loan @ Forfar") and I propose listing him as such; congratulations to the Loons - their 1st cap! I note that Rothmans and the Wee Red Book take differing and inconsistant notice of loans @ International level. Rangers` Webster is recorded as a Dundee Utd. player in the former but a Rangers one in the latter while Rothmans ignores the fact that Leeds `keeper Alan Martin was on loan @ Accrington for all his 4 U21 appearances last season not turning out once @ Leeds at all but, admittedly, only 7 times for Stanley.

Skyline Drifter
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Dumfries
Contact:

Post by Skyline Drifter » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:07 pm

All about opinions I guess but I personally wouldn't credit Forfar in this case or any other loaning club. When Jamie MacDonald played for Scotland's u21's whilst on loan to us he was listed by the SFA as representing Hearts.

I think you can safely presume if the Gallacher boy had been a Forfar player from day one of his football career he'd be nowhere near the u21's.

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7811
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Post by Scottish » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:58 pm

With the increasing number of loans this is becoming a complex issue rather than the rarity it once was. Hence the absurdity of FIFA's official site listing Edison Braffheid as a Celtic player even though his loan had by then expired. Thus, officially at least, Braffheid was the first player from the Scottish League/SPL to play in a World Cup final!

LEATHERSTOCKING
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm
Contact:

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:07 pm

I don`t see the problem; Andy Webster ,for example, should be listed "RANGERS - on loan @ DUNDEE UTD.", Scott Gallacher "RANGERS -on loan @ FORFAR ATH.", Alan Martin "LEEDS UTD. - on loan @ ACCRINGTON STANLEY" for the appropriate games.

Snuff
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 am
Location: New Cumnock, Ayrshire
Contact:

internationalists

Post by Snuff » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Football could always take a cue from rugby in the amateur era, when you had listings such as Hamish Arbuthnott-Cameron-Highlander (Glasgow Accies and the Army) or Gavin Macdonald-Smyth (Watsonians and Cambridge University).

Says it all really.
Snuff

problemchild
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:16 pm
Contact:

Re: internationalists

Post by problemchild » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Snuff wrote:Football could always take a cue from rugby in the amateur era, when you had listings such as Hamish Arbuthnott-Cameron-Highlander (Glasgow Accies and the Army) or Gavin Macdonald-Smyth (Watsonians and Cambridge University).

Says it all really.
It was continued for a while in the pro era too, with the professional team they turned out for and the club that nurtured them in brackets, e.g. Problem Child, Edinburgh Reivers (Melrose).

In that respect, why not have S. Gallacher, Forfar (Rangers)?

LEATHERSTOCKING
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm
Contact:

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:56 am

Eventful week for Gallacher - he was sent off on Saturday.

markbfc
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by markbfc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:All about opinions I guess but I personally wouldn't credit Forfar in this case or any other loaning club. When Jamie MacDonald played for Scotland's u21's whilst on loan to us he was listed by the SFA as representing Hearts.
Agreed. It has to be the parent club as they hold his registration. In terms of "Paying his wages" - Forfar will be sent an invoice by Hearts and they will pay that. It goes into the general pot of turnover so the phrase is a misnomer.

Skyline Drifter
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Dumfries
Contact:

Post by Skyline Drifter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:54 am

markbfc wrote:
Skyline Drifter wrote:All about opinions I guess but I personally wouldn't credit Forfar in this case or any other loaning club. When Jamie MacDonald played for Scotland's u21's whilst on loan to us he was listed by the SFA as representing Hearts.
Agreed. It has to be the parent club as they hold his registration. In terms of "Paying his wages" - Forfar will be sent an invoice by Hearts and they will pay that. It goes into the general pot of turnover so the phrase is a misnomer.
** Gets accounting geeky **

It wouldn't be turnover, it would be a credit against payroll costs. :wink:

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 am

Skyline Drifter wrote:All about opinions I guess but I personally wouldn't credit Forfar in this case or any other loaning club. When Jamie MacDonald played for Scotland's u21's whilst on loan to us he was listed by the SFA as representing Hearts.

I think you can safely presume if the Gallacher boy had been a Forfar player from day one of his football career he'd be nowhere near the u21's.
But we can also presume that unless they are playing for Rantic they would not get into the U-21 squad if they were not playing regular football. maybe :twisted:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests