This year's Scottish Cup crowds

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

This year's Scottish Cup crowds

Post by Scottish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:18 pm

Here we go again. The 21st century and we still can't get accurate (or in some cases, any) crowd figures from Scottish Cup ties attended by small numbers of spectators. When the new system was introduced in 2007 things started brightly with the SFA issuing figures for all but a handful of matches (though I'd query when gates have to be divided and the association takes a percentage, there were even a handful missing).

Each year it has got worse. The Rothmans/Sky Sports yearbook this season didn't even acknowledge the existence of the first two rounds (and remember, league clubs take part in the second round) while last Saturday's matches never even made the Soccerbase fixture list. Worse, I've seen three different versions of Edinburgh City's goalscorer's name and Dalbeattie Star's final goalscorer remains elusive. Some sites don't give a name at all. Others vacillate between Milligan and Leslie, with the EEN match report (which I assume is authoritative) going for the latter.

Nevertheless, after an exhaustive trawl through the underbelly of the interwebs, here's what I can find for crowd figures. Any additions or alterations - especially to those ending in 50 and 00 should be posted here.

Beith 1,079
Coldstream 200
Deveronvale 450
Edinburgh City 150
Edinburgh University 250
Fraserburgh 350
Golspie Sutherland 56
Huntly 250
Lossiemouth 180
Rothes 154
Selkirk 535
Vale of Leithen 150

No information at all for the matches at:
Civil Service Strollers
Gala Fairydean
Glasgow University
Hawick Royal Albert
Newton Stewart

LLD

Re: This year's Scottish Cup crowds

Post by LLD » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:22 pm

One of the threads on P&B gives the Gala v Sunnybank attendance as 196.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 am

scottish wrote:Here we go again. The 21st century and we still can't get accurate (or in some cases, any) crowd figures from Scottish Cup ties attended by small numbers of spectators. When the new system was introduced in 2007 things started brightly with the SFA issuing figures for all but a handful of matches (though I'd query when gates have to be divided and the association takes a percentage, there were even a handful missing).
Well that went all weird. Need to get used to this new posting method.

Anyway, what I tried to say first time was:

The SFA don't get a share from early round games (to be pedantic). They don't start taking a share of the gate until the 3rd round.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:40 am

Skyline Drifter wrote:
The SFA don't get a share from early round games (to be pedantic). They don't start taking a share of the gate until the 3rd round.
Fair enough. I doubt if any cut from the match at Golspie would cover a round of tea and biscuits at Hampden anyway. However, the figures still have to be reported to the SFA and should be available. Last time I looked at the SFA site (i.e. now) all that was up were the results, half-times and details of match officials. No line-ups, goalscorers, subs, bookings, sendings-off, penalties etc, let alone crowds.

Regarding my previous comment about the SS yearbook: I don't suppose they can be blamed for not including early rounds information if the SFA itself can't be bothered.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Replay crowds:

Brora 250
Fort William 150
Girvan 148
Inverurie 651
Nairn 175
St Cuthbert 250

Can't find anything from Preston.

So that leaves Civil Service, Glasgow University, Hawick & Newton Stewart plus the replay at Preston. Any info, please post here. All I can find on any of these matches - crowd-wise - is a report on the Burntisland site suggesting their match v Glasgow Uni had a decent attendance but with no actual figure or estimate.

prorege

Post by prorege » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:13 am

140 at Preston v Newton Stewart according to BBC Ceefax.

Interested by the 'official' crowd at Selkirk v Bo'ness - I tried to do a head count during the first half and gave up after reaching 700.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:13 pm

prorege wrote:140 at Preston v Newton Stewart according to BBC Ceefax.

Interested by the 'official' crowd at Selkirk v Bo'ness - I tried to do a head count during the first half and gave up after reaching 700.
Thanks for that. Does Ceefax have any different figures for any of the other matches or any of the matches from last Saturday? I have difficulty accessing it. I think there was a newspaper promotion for kids to go free if accompanied by an adult and that might skew the figures for some games.

prorege

Post by prorege » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:20 pm

When I looked at ceefax early on Saturday evening the Preston game was the only crowd listed.

sam peckinpah

Post by sam peckinpah » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:49 pm

I attended the Glasgow University vs. Burntisland Shipyard tie and would estimate there was a crowd of around 120.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:44 am

sam peckinpah wrote:I attended the Glasgow University vs. Burntisland Shipyard tie and would estimate there was a crowd of around 120.
Thanks for that.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:54 pm

I would be very interested indeed to know the "crowd" at today's Girvan v Golspie Sutherland game. The Record report says "virtually no supporters."

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Taking into account the sides involved, the kick off time on a pouring wet Monday in November, I`d think perhaps 10 might have turned up & most of them will be of the STRICTLY COME DANCING/X FACTOR mentality. What drove the SFA to insist on the date & kick off time for two very minor members? It`ll have cost @ least Golspie a relative fortune. Incidently, there`s another player with an apt, county, name(see appropriate, recent forum thread - Golspie Sutherland`s red carded Jordan Sutherland. Another of the different shaped football fraternity would be Scottish international full back from the 60s - Ken Scotland. There was also a Ron Glasgow of the same era.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:28 pm

Going by a variety of posts on Pie & Bovril, the Girvan v Golspie game could very well be a Daily Record report along the lines of Radio Clyde's Saturday afternoon football show, i.e. Make up a story based on teletext results and pretend someone's watching it!
From an estimated crowd of 40 (no confirmation of attendance actually at the game itself), this rises to "around 200" from a poster who proceeds to give a very detailed account of the match.
Could it be that someone in the DR sports dept thought the match at Girvan on a Monday afternoon had the makings of a record low turn-out and chose to report thus?
Very curious!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 pm

Odd that the Record references the low gate but doesn't give an actual figure.

Highlandleague.net, which also carries a decent report, gives 150. Have you got anything more accurate for some of the estimates, Alan? Both for the 1st round ties on this thread and the second round here

prorege

Post by prorege » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:11 am

I was at the Girvan v Golspie game on Monday.

I counted 85 midway through the first half, including quite a few watching from their cars inside the ground, and around 140 by midway through the second half. Nobody on the gates after half time.