Online Archive

The place to discuss Scottish football

Re: Online Archive

Postby Sat31March1928 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Not been ignoring this but I'm in Bristol without wifi access. So I've got a set of suggestions for the data we capture but can we look at them and come to an agreement on using them BEFORE we start using them.

I'll also highlight the data I can 'augment' based on other sets of data
e.g.
League position at a point in time
Players age at date of game

Back home on Friday so I'll post thinks up then.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson
Sat31March1928

Postby stuthejag » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Is former Dunfermline Ath, Partick Thistle, Ross County and Raith player Sean Kilgannon (born Stirling 1980), any relation?
Stu
[url][/url]http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint.com/
stuthejag

Postby Alan Brown » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:34 pm

I have just received the following e-mail from John Litster regarding the project:

"I am close to completing a similar project. Having done all the research, I am now engaged in the lengthy process of summarising the figures. I also have to advise that I have included Second Division appearances and goals in my project".

We now have to decide whether to continue with the research or not. All thoughts are welcome!

Alan Brown
Alan Brown

Postby Scottish » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:28 am

Alan Brown wrote:I have just received the following e-mail from John Litster regarding the project:

"I am close to completing a similar project. Having done all the research, I am now engaged in the lengthy process of summarising the figures. I also have to advise that I have included Second Division appearances and goals in my project".

We now have to decide whether to continue with the research or not. All thoughts are welcome!

Alan Brown

If that's right then that's pretty amazing. Are you sure John Litster is producing a match-by-match, club-by-club, season-by-season record? Or is it along the lines of his post-war disk with seasonal appearances and goals? There was no suggestion when the pre-war disk came out that subsequent versions would contain anything more than that.

If the former then that's absolutely incredible and it would - IMHO - be pointless to carry on playing Scott to his Amundsen. If the latter then we should continue. Second Division appearances and goals is something else as well.

To me the important thing is that this is done, not who does it. The only caveat I have is what he means by 'similar,' 'lengthy' and 'summarising.' That suggests to me at any rate that what he's doing isn't quite the same and it may be some time before it is available.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby BMCCOLL » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:13 am

Unless John was willing to hand over all his season-by-season research, then I think it'd be wise to continue as before. The disc will be a summary of each players' appearances, not the match-by-match record we're working towards.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL

Postby bobby s » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:41 am

BMCCOLL wrote:Unless John was willing to hand over all his season-by-season research, then I think it'd be wise to continue as before. The disc will be a summary of each players' appearances, not the match-by-match record we're working towards.

I agree with that. Having done the research for one team, the thought of doing it for all 50+ is staggering.
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby Alan Brown » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Alan Brown wrote:Are you sure John Litster is producing a match-by-match, club-by-club, season-by-season record?

Sorry David, I meant that he did the research and is in the process of collating the total appearances & goals. It would be great if John
would get involved in the project, but I think he has his own agenda. It's just frustrating knowing that someone has already carried out the
research we are attempting.

Yes, I agree that we should continue with the project.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby Scottish » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:40 pm

In which case it isn't really the same thing at all. There is a big difference between individual totals per season and match-by-match line-ups. In his notes to accompany the pre-war disk John Litster asks for anyone with "unpublished statistics" willing to release them for the second disk to contact him. So it's possible that some of the material on the second disk will have been compiled elsewhere and that he doesn't actually have full records himself. Until the second disk is available and we see the acknowledgments we won't know for sure.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:25 am

Would my own Rangers spreadsheet be of any use.. Its not complete ie-oppostion line ups are not included. If you guys want a copy let me know. I'm sure there will be errors but its not a bad effort. I use this as a model for my own site. http://www.rangersfchistory.co.uk/gamedatapage.php?recordID=20101024 all the info and links to the images are stored in the database.
Rob

Postby degsy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:39 am

Rob,

I'm interested in the format you use, for http://scottishfootballarchive.co.uk I have various ways of uploading and storing the game data but find it hard to keep up with the changes in squads/subs/etc (in terms of storing that type of data, as it changes most seasons, from 11+2, 11+3 to the 11+6 now I mean, if that makes sense!).

I'm massively impressed with http://ihibs.co.uk/ and how it allows you to query the data - but right now I have a load of data stuck in spreadsheets that I fail to get online as the formats are different or don't make it easy to upload to the site.

How are people storing this information?

Derek
degsy

Postby BMCCOLL » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:30 pm

How is everyone getting on? I'm starting Clyde's 1921-22 season (have done 1891-1900 and 1920-21...work has already been done for 1920-1920 and 1938-39), but as you can imagine it's slow work as I'm juggling this with research for the SFHA.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL

Postby sureitsza » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:01 pm

I am just finishing off season 1931-32 for Motherwell, have "completed" 1920-1931.
sureitsza

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:03 pm

degsy wrote:Rob,

I'm interested in the format you use, for http://scottishfootballarchive.co.uk I have various ways of uploading and storing the game data but find it hard to keep up with the changes in squads/subs/etc (in terms of storing that type of data, as it changes most seasons, from 11+2, 11+3 to the 11+6 now I mean, if that makes sense!).

I'm massively impressed with http://ihibs.co.uk/ and how it allows you to query the data - but right now I have a load of data stuck in spreadsheets that I fail to get online as the formats are different or don't make it easy to upload to the site.

How are people storing this information?

Derek

First off I really do not understand mysql. I use dreamweaver so that does a lot of the work for me. The problem with that is Dreamweaver has a habit of putting in its own code. So a lot of my mysql quieres are very basic. I use a programme called navicat to upload new material. I can export the database into an excel file and do updates that way.

For the subs what i have done is really very simple. I have 5 columns in my database for each player.

Players Name
Player Goal
Sub number
sub Name
Sub goal.

obviously i only enter data where it is needed. I have to keep it simple cause i dont understand php/mysql... My main problems are that is about as good as i can get it.
I hope that makes sense.
Rob

Postby Alan Brown » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:29 am

I am researching St Mirren 1890-1900 and adding everything I have for them between 1900-1920. I will then add the St Mirren stats (1920-1939) Thomas McGouran sent me
and e-mail the file to Brian.

I have also completed Port Glasgow Athletic for their Division One years. Just need to add the Scottish Cup and referees.

Most of the research seems to be done for the ten 1890s seasons, although there are a lot of gaps. I think "StAndrewsHMFC" was going to contribute his Leith Athletic research towards the project.
Alan Brown

Postby Alan Brown » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 am

Rob wrote:Would my own Rangers spreadsheet be of any use.. Its not complete ie-oppostion line ups are not included. If you guys want a copy let me know. I'm sure there will be errors but its not a bad effort. I use this as a model for my own site. http://www.rangersfchistory.co.uk/gamedatapage.php?recordID=20101024 all the info and links to the images are stored in the database.

Yes the Rangers spreadsheet would be most welcome Rob. Is it your own original research?
Alan Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Scottish Football