Online Archive

The place to discuss Scottish football
Alan Brown

Online Archive

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 am

I was wondering if any members of this forum would be interested in contributing to an online database
which I am considering setting up. Now that the Glasgow Herald is digitised on Google I feel that this is the
right time to make an attempt at recording the line-ups, scorers, attendances etc. of every Scottish League
Division One match. The pre-1939 period would be tackled first. If anyone has done any research on a club
which does not have a 'complete record' could they post details of it? This would help to avoid duplication of
work that has already been carried out.

As I have already researched the 1900-1920 period and am in the process of doing the same for 1890-1900,
the data required would only be between the years of 1920-1939.

Alan Brown

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Online Sources

Post by Scottish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:17 am

Alan Brown wrote:Yeah I suppose copyright can be a thorny issue.
To test the Herald archive at Google I am researching Alloa's solitary season in division
one.

Alan
Great minds think alike. I was planning on spending the weekend as a couch potato but the weather at Celtic Manor left me with some spare time so I've done Alloa and put the details here .

1922-23 has all Monday's Heralds but midweek coverage is scanty for re-arranged matches. Still, I think I've got everything except a couple of half-time. I've also added the five 1939-40 matches. The tab on the file to look for is Div One.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:41 am

I had trouble opening the Alloa file (see my pm).
Ok I am going to concentrate on Clydebanks 4 seasons in division one during
the 1920s this week. I think if there were at least 5 people interested in participating
in this proposed project then it is definitely achievable.

John Meffen

Re: Online Archive

Post by John Meffen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 am

As I may have previously indicated :), for all manner of pre-war FFC I am your man

sureitsza

Post by sureitsza » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:36 am

I have time on my hands and would be willing to do online research for you.
I did Bo'ness for season 27-28 but March/April editions of the Herald are not available. So anybody wants what I've found they are welcome.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Alan Brown wrote:I had trouble opening the Alloa file (see my pm).
I haven't got a pm, Alan. When did you send? E-mail me with details of the problem and I'll send it to you direct.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks for that John. Your offer of helping with the project is most welcome.

Alan

honestman

Post by honestman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Could someone tell me how to access the newspaper archive in Google - sorry bit of a numpty when it comes to this :oops:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Unfortunately they don't actually list the papers available so general searches here can be a hit and miss with a lot of US and Commonwealth papers coming up first. The Herald currently only appears in searches for the years 1937-62.

THIS will take you specifically to the Herald. From there you can navigate via the 'Show' tab between the early 1880s - 1990 then for pre-1937 and post-1962 look within specific papers for football coverage.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:45 pm

If it helps anyone, Celtic & Opposition line-ups & scorers (in most cases) for all major competitive matches from 1888 to 1939 have been included on Celtic's Official Website although some of this data has still to be checked. There is also similar data available for some minor & friendly matches.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks for that Nightfire. kerrydalestreet.com is also a good source of information on Celtic pre-war.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:10 pm

nightfire wrote:If it helps anyone, Celtic & Opposition line-ups & scorers (in most cases) for all major competitive matches from 1888 to 1939 have been included on Celtic's Official Website although some of this data has still to be checked. There is also similar data available for some minor & friendly matches.

Is it celtic.net? if so I had a look but couldnt find it? Thats nothing new though! :shock:

Cheers
Robert

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:
nightfire wrote:If it helps anyone, Celtic & Opposition line-ups & scorers (in most cases) for all major competitive matches from 1888 to 1939 have been included on Celtic's Official Website although some of this data has still to be checked. There is also similar data available for some minor & friendly matches.

Is it celtic.net? if so I had a look but couldnt find it? Thats nothing new though! :shock:

Cheers
Robert
Here's a link and just use the drop down menu for whatever season:

http://www.celticfc.net/home/fixturesRe ... tTeam.aspx

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks for the offer of help Sureitsza. Could you e-mail me the Bo'ness stats to:
alanbrown37@hotmail.com

Which club would you be interested in researching?

Alan

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 pm

nightfire wrote:
Insertnamehere wrote:

Cheers
Robert
Here's a link and just use the drop down menu for whatever season:

http://www.celticfc.net/home/fixturesRe ... tTeam.aspx
Thanks for that!