Rangers 300th European match?

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Rangers 300th European match?

Post by Scottish » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 pm

It was claimed on Sky tonight that this was Rangers' 300th match in Europe. That is only the case if you count the 'Super Cup' games v Ajax in January 1973. Not only were these matches not recognised by UEFA (though they quickly purloined the idea) but Rangers were under a UEFA ban at the time, following the scenes at the ECWC final the previous year. By that reckoning their 300th game will be the home tie v Man Utd on Nov 24th.

300 or not it was a great performance against a team that have been doing better than expected this season. I don't know what Walter has been putting into the water before European matches but it seems to be working. So far this has been a far cry from the insipid Rangers performances of past seasons though there is still some way to go before they can guarantee a UEFA Cup slot let alone make the next stage of the Champions League.

For the record here are the number of matches played by other Scottish sides in Europe, including Intertoto and excluding abandoned matches or games subsequently ordered to be replayed:

Aberdeen 111 (including two recognised Super Cup matches)
Airdrieonians 2
Celtic 261 (doesn't include three World Club Championship games)
Dundee 34
Dundee United 106
Dunfermline Athletic 46
Falkirk 2
Gretna 2
Hearts 70
Hibernian 86 (doesn't include walk-over v Lausanne in 1960-61)
Kilmarnock 40
Livingston 4
Morton 2
Motherwell 22
Partick Thistle 10
Queen of the South 2
Raith Rovers 6
St Johnstone 10
St Mirren 14

lbb

Re: Rangers 300th European match?

Post by lbb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:06 am

scottish wrote:300 or not it was a great performance against a team that have been doing better than expected this season. I don't know what Walter has been putting into the water before European matches but it seems to be working. So far this has been a far cry from the insipid Rangers performances of past seasons though there is still some way to go before they can guarantee a UEFA Cup slot let alone make the next stage of the Champions League.
The departures of Thomson, Boyd and Novo, for whatever reason, have turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Boyd was very immobile and Novo's enthusiasm did not cover up a lack of technical ability. Weiss retains possession better and Miller, when he's not missing open goals, is very productive. The Edu-Davis partnership is a better 'fit' than Thomson and McCulloch or whatever other abomination was tried last season. To be fair to Thomson, I don't think he was fully fit in last season's Champion League either.

The only caveat I would add is that Rangers have traditionally performed best in the first 3 games of their Champions League group and then tailed off badly in the next 3 games. Although the games so far have been a pleasant surprise, I'm not entirely convinced this tradition will be broken. I do think UEFA Cup participation will be secured, though.

markbfc

Post by markbfc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:24 am

Does these totals for clubs include Anglo-French Friendship games in the early 1960s?

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:38 pm

markbfc wrote:Does these totals for clubs include Anglo-French Friendship games in the early 1960s?
I should hope not, I can't see it, otherwise Texaco & Anglo-Scottish Cups would also have to count!

I believe the numbers are for proper UEFA competitions only, though I never did the number crunching!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:32 pm

markbfc wrote:Does these totals for clubs include Anglo-French Friendship games in the early 1960s?
No. For UEFA recognised club competitions only plus the Fairs Cup which was the forerunner of the UEFA Cup.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 pm

Just to muddy the waters a bit, UEFA don't count the Fairs Cup in their official statistics - the logic being they only include UEFA competitions. According to them, Rangers have played 280 matches in Europe and you can see their versionn of Rangers' full record at http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague ... index.html (scroll down and it's on the right hand side).

That apart, you can usually pick up a good selection of statistical milestones in the UEFA press kits, issued the day before each match, and their match summaries. They are available online at http://www.uefa.com/uefa/mediaservices/ ... index.html It's a useful place to go if you want to print off a teamsheet before watching a match on telly or in the pub.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:07 pm

ScottishFA wrote:Just to muddy the waters a bit, UEFA don't count the Fairs Cup in their official statistics - the logic being they only include UEFA competitions.
That's why I said 'plus' the Fairs Cup. Most countries and clubs count it as part of European club competition and if the Intertoto is included (as it is) then the Fairs Cup should be as well. I actually think Rangers have a strong case for having reached the 300 mark as UEFA immediately picked up on the 'Super Cup idea and started the official version the following season.

The press kits are useful. Unfortunately from a Scottish perspective they don't (or didn't used to) issue them for qualifying rounds.

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:47 am

I thing 3rd place is a good result..UEFA Cup or whatever they call it now would be good. All the way to the final again perhaps where is the final this season?

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Dublin I think.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 pm

"If they go to Dublin, we will follow on."

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Dublin? OMG. That has all the ingredients to make Barcelona '72 & Manchester '08 look like childrens parties.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Easy. Rangers` fans these days are far more sophisticated & urbane than then. Dancing in the streets, old men weeping with joy, children singing, garlands being exchanged, the odd light ginger beer shandy....

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:52 pm

I wonder if they would switch the venue.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Rob wrote:I wonder if they would switch the venue.
Nothing scheduled for Rome the same night.