Brazil V Scotland/ Scotland V Brazil

The place to discuss Scottish football
kiwiscot

Brazil V Scotland/ Scotland V Brazil

Post by kiwiscot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:28 am

WTF ( W for Why ?) would we arrange a game like this in London, how many schoolboys will attend the game ? How many bonafide Scotland fans can afford to attend the game with their club commitments etc.( I know a lot will ) but I feel its not fair on the fans financially or are we all being seduced by this global TV market who doesnt give a toss about our grandfathers/fathers who kept the game going for generations and they have stepped in to take the game away from us and make us pay to watch only a few top clubs/countries of their choice because they can sell it to some emerging market with no traditions in the game. Maybe European football fans need an Egyptian like revolution on whatever media, and not go to a game at all for 6 months and bring these so called moguls to their knees.

Skyline Drifter

Re: Brazil V Scotland/ Scotland V Brazil

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:21 am

It's Brazil's home game isn't it?

I don't really see the problem. Personally I wouldn't have travelled to Rio to watch it and I won't be going to London either. Lots of people who wouldn't otherwise have gotten to an "away" friendly though will now have the chance to do so and the SFA can accept a glamour friendly without significant disruption to the players and travelling round the world. People who can't go to London certainly couldn't have gone to any other away friendly either so where's the loss?

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 am

It is Brazil's home game. Is it not part of their sponsorship deal that they have to play soemthing ridiculous like fifty international matches a year, and end up playing most in Europe. Besides most of the squad play in Europe, don't they?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

As has been said this is Brazil's 'home' match and the venue is theirs to choose. If Scotland hadn't been amenable then I'm sure there would have been no shortage of takers for the fixture. This has become a growing trend in international football over the past few years and London has staged several 'neutral' matches. It's a Sunday 2pm kick-off so it's hardly an awkward day or time.

In any case London is the third biggest 'Scottish' city in terms of population. I don't think there will be any problem in drawing a big crowd even if nobody travelled down for the game.

lbb

Post by lbb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm

I don't understand why the game is taking place when there is a backlog of SPL fixtures to be played. It's another weekend off the calendar that could have been used productively. There is, apparently, also a five-day sojourn in Spain for the players thrown in. :x

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:52 pm

lbb wrote:I don't understand why the game is taking place when there is a backlog of SPL fixtures to be played. It's another weekend off the calendar that could have been used productively. There is, apparently, also a five-day sojourn in Spain for the players thrown in. :x
It isn't a weekend off the calendar. It's an international weekend and midweek with Euro qualifiers taking place. It just so happens that Scotland don't have any fixtures. I suppose we could do what we've done in the past and either have a "get-together' with no game or organise a friendly against the Faroes (they're free too). All in all I think I prefer Brazil.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 am

As Scottish has noted, there's a multitude of Euro 2012 and African Cup of Nations 2012 qualifiers happening, as well as friendlies, as it's a FIFA fixed date. So scheduling SPL games was never really an option. We just happen to have arranged no qualifiers on the Fri/Sat or Tue.

My concern with the game lies with our precarious world ranking, and thus seeding for the World Cup 2014 qualifying draw in July. Losing to Brazil will do harm, albeit minor, but I'd rather we were playing a winnable friendly. Or at the very least, both.

Hopefully the "glamour" and "money" positive factors outweigh the "sporting merit*" and "world ranking" negative factors.

[*by which I mean, we'll almost certainly lose... and likely won't face a South American or Brazil-style side in competitive action anytime soon]

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:00 pm

HibeeJibee wrote:Hopefully the "glamour" and "money" positive factors outweigh the "sporting merit*" and "world ranking" negative factors.
Do you mean the SFA will be able to afford to sack Craig Levein when the time comes?
Fraser