Tontine Park

The place to discuss Scottish football
kjell

Tontine Park

Post by kjell » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Hello,

Is there anything left of Tontine Park, old Renton FC`s home ground, today? I am planning a visit to Renton but cannot find any information about the Tontine Park ground.

Kjell

bobby s

Re: Tontine Park

Post by bobby s » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:54 am

Have you tried the National Library online maps?

http://maps.nls.uk/
It's the Hope I can't stand

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm sure it says that a tiny part of it is still left in Dave Twydell's Book "Rejected FC of Scotland Vol II: Glasgow & District". I don't have it at hand but somebody might be able to check

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Tontine Crescent

The ground was demolished around 80 years ago There's a marker stone in a front garden in Tontine Crescent. I also seem to recall there being a plaque in the vicinity marking Renton's 'World Championship' win.

steve994

Post by steve994 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:15 pm

According to

http://www.valeofleven.org.uk/renton4.html

the plaque marking the centre spot has now gone.

Steve

kjell

Post by kjell » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Hello,

Thanks for all your replies so far. This about the mid circle being in someone`s garden. I assume this must be one of the gardens in Tontine Crescent. Crazy question, but does anyone know which address? I am not leaving Renton without having a picture of the mid circle for sure :)

Kjell

kjell

Post by kjell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Hello,

This trip went very well for me. Felt a bit lost in Renton, so decided to sit down for a cup of coffee at a community centre. On show there was a replica trophy of Nottingham Forest`s European Cup winner trophy from 1979. After a few questions about the trophy I was introduced to a Mr Archie Thomson, and the rest is history. I have written an article about Renton FC for the Liverpool FC Supporters Club magazine in Norway.

I have also made a small Renton FC page on Facebook if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your help,

Kjell

killiegradge

Post by killiegradge » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Kjell wrote:Hello,

This trip went very well for me. Felt a bit lost in Renton, so decided to sit down for a cup of coffee at a community centre. On show there was a replica trophy of Nottingham Forest`s European Cup winner trophy from 1979. After a few questions about the trophy I was introduced to a Mr Archie Thomson, and the rest is history. I have written an article about Renton FC for the Liverpool FC Supporters Club magazine in Norway.

I have also made a small Renton FC page on Facebook if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your help,

Kjell
Why the pilgramage?

kjell

Post by kjell » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Hello,

I am a Liverpool supporter, and have spent a lot of time tracking and gathering information from their first few seasons. Last year this led to a book called "Dicky Sams - Liverpool FC in blue and white". Out of this a few articles has been written for the LFC supporter club magazine in Norway.
In their first season 17 players can be said to be in the squad. Out of these 15 were Scots, and out of these 15 again seven were from the Vale of Leven area, and five alone from Renton FC.

These Renton players were:
Andrew Hannah - LFC`s first ever capatain
Duncan McLean - LFC`s reserve captain
James McBride - half back - probably one of the shortest players in LFC`s history
James Kelso - brother of Everton`s "Bob"
Jno Cameron

Also Malcolm McVean from Third Lanark (born in Bonhill) and James Smith from Dumbarton also were part of the first ever Liverpool team.

The visit led to an article about Renton FC + Chicken bree = Liverpool`s first recipe for success.

Kjell