Scottish teams in Norway

The place to discuss Scottish football
kjell

Scottish teams in Norway

Post by kjell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Hello,

I have access to the archives of one of the biggest newspapers in Norway, Aftenposten. This paper is based in Oslo, but has always been considered a paper for the whole of Southern Norway.

If your team have played matches in Norway and you do not have the info I can try to look it up for you.

Kjell

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Scottish teams in Norway

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Kjell wrote:Hello,

I have access to the archives of one of the biggest newspapers in Norway, Aftenposten. This paper is based in Oslo, but has always been considered a paper for the whole of Southern Norway.

If your team have played matches in Norway and you do not have the info I can try to look it up for you.

Kjell
That's a very kind gesture and thanks for it. AFAIK my team has only played one match in Norway - and I have no wish to be reminded of it :cry:

kiwiscot

Post by kiwiscot » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:35 am

Honestly David, Nae, Nae kiddin, I take it you got beat. Then again for the rest of us non Killie fans I guess we must have lost the odd (no pun intended , for Norwiegan football club ) Under 18, Under 21 and not many (well a few full Internationals ) games, Which one really upset you ?

jimmygrumble

Post by jimmygrumble » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:35 am

Kjell,
This might not have been widely reported in either country, but Peterhead played two games in Norway in the summer of 1971. According to the only information I have to hand, they beat their twin town Aalesund 1-0 and Molde 3-0, unlikely as that might sound. If you are able to cast any more light on events I would be most appreciative.
only sing when i'm fishing

kjell

Post by kjell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello,

Nothing about Peterhead in 1971. I found a short notice about Aalesund visiting Peterhead in July 1968 and beating a navy team 9-1 in their first of 4 matches on their Scottish tour.

Kjell

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:27 pm

kiwiscot wrote: Which one really upset you ?
PM sent

kjell

Post by kjell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Here is maybe one for the history books.

"The first match in Norway between two professional teams..."

Played between Ayr United and Viktoria Zizkow (from Czechoslovakia) in Oslo 28 May -1928. 2-2 draw, the Czechs leading 2-1 at half time. Both Ayr goals by James Smith.

And among the crowd were the Huddersfield Town players. Too bad the line ups are mot mentioned in the report.

Kjell

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:55 pm

So Viktoria Zizkov have a habit of confounding Scottish teams then? Duncan Carmichael's Ayr history doesn't mention this match. He says there was an 18-strong touring party (presumably that included officials, trainer etc) and they beat a team called Gjoa 2-1 in the Bislet stadium. Then after a detour to Sweden they returned to Norway and beat Gzoa Crana (same as earlier team?) 4-0, lost 4-3 to Oostefold and beat Drammen 6-3. Unfortunately no dates are given. The RSSSF gives dates for the 4-0 match but says the opponents were an Oslo Select (May 31st) and for the Drammen game (June 5th also a select) but doesn't mention any of the other matches.

kjell

Post by kjell » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:21 am

Hello,

This is what Ifound in Aftenposten for Ayr Utd in Norway 1928

Arrived in Oslo on 21 May 1928

22 May match vs a combined team of Vålerengen and Gjøa at Bislet Stadium, kick off 7:30 pm
Ayr won the match 2-1 (2-0) in front of 7000 spectators.
Ayr United: Robert Hepburn; Norman Price, W Fleming; W Robertson, J Watson, A Sharp; J Bisbet, D Tolland, James Smith, J Simpson, Broe.
** Fleming, the left back, had just arrived from Celtic
1-0 Tolland, 2-0 James Smith, 2-1 Normann Jacobsen
** Match was played on sand and not grass

24 May match vs Örnarna (The Eagles) in Stockholm.
Ayr won the match 3-1 in front of 9000 spectators

27 May match vs combined team of Gjøa and Brann at Ullevål Stadium, kick off 7 pm
Ayr won the match 4-0 (2-0)
** Played on grass

28 May match vz Viktoria Zizkow at Ullevål Stadium, kick of 7 pm
** More about this match was posted earlier
** Played on grass

30 May match vs Østfold County combined team at Fredrikstad Stadium,kick off 7:30 pm
Ayr lost the match 3-4 (1-2) in front of 2000 spectators

I did not find anything about the match in Drammen.

Regards,

Kjell

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:17 am

Slightly off topic but did Freddie Ljunberg collect a Swedish Cup winners medal with Halmstad in 1995 as a non playing substitute?

jimmygrumble

Post by jimmygrumble » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:42 pm

jimmygrumble wrote:Kjell,
This might not have been widely reported in either country, but Peterhead played two games in Norway in the summer of 1971. According to the only information I have to hand, they beat their twin town Aalesund 1-0 and Molde 3-0, unlikely as that might sound. If you are able to cast any more light on events I would be most appreciative.
Kjell,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to look into this.
only sing when i'm fishing

stuthejag

Post by stuthejag » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Just wanting to confirm that Partick Thistle have played 5 games in Norway.

Partick Thistle toured Norway in 1946 playing 3 games.

20th May vs. Oslo XI, 2-1 - Could you confirm if this picture is from Oslo? http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint. ... +v+Oslo+XI
22nd May vs. Fredrikstadt, 4-0 - in the this game I know Jimmy Walker scorred 2 but the other goalscorers are unknown?
24th May vs. Bergen 3-1

and in 1971 played 2 games.

15th May vs. Haugesund VSC, 4-0
16th May vs. Stravanger 8-0.

If a
Stu
[url][/url]http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint.com/

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:46 am

stuthejag wrote:
20th May vs. Oslo XI, 2-1 - Could you confirm if this picture is from Oslo? http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint. ... +v+Oslo+XI
It certainly looks like it could be Bislett Stadion, but then again, since I did not actually go to Bislett until the 1990s I have no idea how it looked back then.

kjell

Post by kjell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Hello,

This is what I found about Partick Thistle in Norway. It was not 1946, but 1947, and they played 3 games vs a "trial" Norway International. The last date in 1947 is different. Also the picture - I cannot say for sure. Aftenposten have a team photo of the Norway team before the match and the goalie has a white shirt. The outfield players have the same dark shirt with the flag on the chest.

20 May, match vs “Trial” National team of Norway. Partick won 2-1 in front of 25,000 spectators at Bislet Stadium. Referee: Johan Narvestad
Goals:
0-1 Arvid Havnås 30 min, 1-1 Frank McBeath 31 min, 2-1 William Sharp, pen, 55 min.
** Partick were missing two of their best players who represented Scotland vs Belgium
Preview line up Partick: Thomas Ledgerwood; James McGowan, Peter Curran; William Hewitt, Adam Forsyth, Maurice Candlin; Frank McBeath, William O’Donnell, David Mathie, William Sharp, Kenneth Chisholm.
** In the match report the following players are mentioned: McBeath, O`Donnell, Mathie, Sharp, Forsyth, McGowan, Hewitt, Walker. (I assume Jimmy Walker played instead of Chisholm)
** Man of the match according to Aftenposten: Adam Forsyth

23 May
Partick vs “Trial Norway”, Partick won 4-0 in front of 7000 spectators at Fredrikstad Stadium. Referee Kolbjørn Dæhlen.
Goals:
1-0 own goal, Bjørn Spydevold, 3 mins, Walker 3 more goals
Partick players mentioned in match report: Forsyth, Walker,
** Man of the match according to Aftenposten: Adam Forsyth

27 May
Partick vs “Trial Norway”, Partick won 3-1 in front of 13,000 spectators at Brann Stadium, Bergen.
1-0 Mathie, 12 min, 2-0 Mathie 35 min, 1-2 Havnås, 70 min, 3-1 Chisholm, 85 min.

Match May 15 was against Vard, a team from Haugesund. Match played in Haugesund.
Match May 16 was against Ulf, a team from Sandnes -just outside Stavanger. Today commonly known as Ulf Sandnes.

Regards,

Kjell

kjell

Post by kjell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Hello,

Hibernians also visited Norway in the summer of 1947 as part of their tour of Norway and Sweden.

3 June vs “Trial Norway”, won 5-0 (1-0) in front of 9000 at Stavanger Stadium.
8 June vs Bergen XI, won 11-0 (4-0). Armand scored 6, Smith 3. At Brann Stadium, 6000 spec.
10 June vs Strong/Gjøa XI 7-0 (4-0). At Bislet Stadium before 10,000 spectators.
12 June vs Sarpsborg FK 5-2 (3-1). At Sarpsborg Stadium before 5600 spectators.
? Norrköping (Swe)

Preview line up vs Strong/Gjøa 10 June: James Kerr; John Gowan, David Shaw; Hughie Mowie, Peter Aird, Samuel Keen (cap); Gordon Smith, Willie Finnigan, Leslie Johnson, Edward Turnbull, Wm Ormand.
Goals: 1-0 Leslie Johnson, 2-0 Ormond, 3-0 Gordon Johnson, 4-0 Johnson, 5-0 Johnson, 6-0 Gordon Smith, 7-0 Johnson.

Goals vs: Sarpsborg: 1-0 Leslie Johnson 8 min, 2-0 Leslie Johnson, 1-2 Willy Andresen 32 min, 3-1 ?. 4-1 penalty, 5-1 Turnbull, 2-5 Willy Andresen.

I do not have any details of the match vs Swedish side Norrköping.

Strong/Gjøa were two teams from Oslo. Sarpsborg were at this time one of the best teams in Norway. The first match they played were against the same kind of team Partick Thistle played against, a Norway XI.

Kjell