Murray worse than Romanov

The place to discuss Scottish football
killiebred

Murray worse than Romanov

Post by killiebred » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:04 pm

Killiefc.com are reporting that Kris Boyd will go to Rangers for 400K according to the KFC AGM this evening.

Here's the sting. 200K up front and another 200K IN A YEAR'S TIME. Fuxxake. What would they do if Killie said you can have the player for six months now and come back for him again in a year's time when you've paid the bill?

I wonder how I'd get on if I went out for a meal, paid my compliments to the chef, agreed it was top class grub at a bargain price then gave them half the bill and told them I'd drop by with the rest 12 months hence.

AND he won't play for Kilmarnock again. So even though Boyd is not free to even talk to another club until Jan 1st David Murray is effectively telling Jim Jefferies the player is not to be picked for the team on Boxing Day.

Feck me. At least the Hearts guy only meddles with this own team.

Neiljb

Post by Neiljb » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:03 pm

Old Formula.

- Boyd goes to Ranger for half recommended retail price, " 'Cos playin' for Rangurs is ma dream"

- Starts 3 games and fails to score. Huns shout, "He's p!sh. He might be good enough fur Kill...thingmay, but no fur Rangurs."

- Summer window 2006, Boyd sold to Championship for 700,000.
Bungs, Sweetners and Christmas Presents. Who'd want to be a manager?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:50 pm

Except that I doubt that will happen. I think Boyd's the real deal. He's scoring more every season in a side that isn't renowned for goalscoring. If he's given the chance at Ibrox he'll score goals.

Question is will he be given the chance. I think so. I doubt if Rangers would be making the move now if he was simply going to be a benchwarmer. They could have waited till the summer and got him for a lot less at the tribunal.

And of course by proclaiming his support for them he buys time with the fans. They are always much more reluctant to criticise 'one of their own' than an 'outsider.'

And look at Rangers fixture list in January. Peterhead (H), Motherwell (A), Livingston (H), ICT (A). Boyd could score a few in those matches. Rangers are on a run of comparatively 'easy' looking games till they go to Pittodrie in February then face Celtic, Hibs and Villareal and they're all at home.

There's no doubt Killie have been shafted though. 200K up front for Scotland's leading goalscorer is scandalous, especially when you consider Rangers will be moving out two players - Nieto and Jeffers - to accommodate him. And Jeffers is an England international who has commanded fees totalling in excess of £10.5M in his career.

Killie are six points away from dropping into the bottom six. If that happens then they've effectively lost Boyd for nothing. IMHO Rangers should have been told to top the Sheff Wed offer and if they refused and Boyd turned down the transfer to Sheffield, so be it. Killie should have kept him till the end of the season and then argued the case at the tribunal, based on his goalscoring record, the size of the Cardiff and Wednesday bids and the Scotland cap that MIGHT have come his way in March had he stayed at Rugby Park but which will definitely be his now that he's going to Rangers.

I don't buy the theory that he would have been unsettled. He's known since at least August that Rangers wanted him and it hasn't stopped him banging in goals since then.

Of course it may have been that Rangers wanted him so badly they'd have matched the Sheffield offer and offered a sell-on clause of 25% (there is a clause but we don't know how much).

I'd also have asked them for Steven Thompson till the end of the season. Thompson won't get a game for them or his contract renewed. They wouldn't be buying Boyd otherwise. That would have done the player a favour and sweetened the loss of Boyd a bit.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:57 pm

I should add that I feel some sympathy for Paul Sturrock who was trying to strengthen his struggling side. Wednesday have been played IMHO. Their bid was "accepted" by the club knowing fine well that Boyd was Ibrox-bound and was useful to up the ante from Rangers.

Had Sturrock known that I'm sure he wouldn't have wasted his time in making an offer.

killiebred

Post by killiebred » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:38 am

That's a good point about Jeffers and Nieeto and Jeffers's transfer fees. Fact is the huns wanted Boyd in January. Otherwise they'd have waited till the close season. Feckin transfer window doesn't even open until Jan 1st but this deal is done and dusted now. Killie should have waited till the window opened, leaked the huns bid and waited to see if anyone else would bite. At the very least they should have got the lot up front. Are Rangers trying to say they can't afford 400K? When they're boasting about spending £10M?

By the way, that's some player they're getting. According to the BBC website Boyd told them "I was at the game at Ibrox as Rangers qualified for the last 16 (of the Champions League)."

Funny, that. I could have sworn I saw him play for the Scotland Future team at Rugby Park on the same night at exactly the same time.

Happy Christmas anyway Davie and all the best for the new year. Might catch you at Tynecastle for the cup tie.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:23 pm

killiebred wrote: Happy Christmas anyway Davie and all the best for the new year. Might catch you at Tynecastle for the cup tie.
I can't make Tynecastle as I'll be having a break. Note I didn't say 'well-deserved.'

Hoping to make the home game v Hibs. See you there. All the best.