Opening Day SPL Fixtures

The place to discuss Scottish football
Lisbon67

Opening Day SPL Fixtures

Post by Lisbon67 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:11 pm

I’ve explained to Lisbon67 that publishing fixtures is a legal minefield. These are all under the control of Dataco, acting on behalf of the various leagues. In the past they have tried to screw thousands out of websites like this for publishing fixtures.

While I can see a case for the authorities getting a cut if companies are using their fixtures for gambling purposes or as part of newspaper promotions I fail to see why independent websites like this that are only trying to keep supporters up to date should be subject to financial penalties.

There was a court ruling last year which placed some question marks over the right of organisations to charge for this information but until this becomes clearer I would ask people NOT to post huge chunks of fixtures.

That DOESN’T mean you can’t post any. To say for instance that Celtic travel to Motherwell on July 30th, the opening day of the season, in a repeat of last season’s thrilling SPL finale and that the match will be covered live on Setanta with a 12.30 kick-off is fair comment.

It’s reproducing fixtures in bulk which can cause problems.

Of course there’s always a way round everything. With that in mind please note the following road traffic alerts for Scotland will apply on Saturday July 30th at around 3pm.

There will be lot of buses from Aberdeen heading for Dundee that day while southbound expect to see coaches and cars from Inverness head for Falkirk. Leith is expecting an influx of visitors from Dunfermline but the Gorgie area of Edinburgh will witness an exodus in the direction of Kilmarnock.

On Sunday 31st July there is expected to be a heavy build-up of traffic heading for a flag-raising ceremony in Govan at 2pm. A small number from Livingston are expected to be in attendance.

ADMIN