McCOIST

The place to discuss Scottish football
LEATHERSTOCKING

McCOIST

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:34 am

That was a particularly mean spirited and demeaning interview yesterday by the Rangers manager.

lbb

Re: McCOIST

Post by lbb » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:00 pm

In what way?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:30 pm

I know he was interviewed soon after a particularly deflating defeat which, in his eyes was quite unjustified, and at the end of a very trying week where matters have been ongoing quite outwith his control but I felt his snide, bitter comments about certain parties taking great pleasure out of denigrading his club would have been better left unsaid. It was unworthy of him and merely let those, perhaps less dignified, realise they had got under his skin. Perhaps in these times of great stress, he should do what Terry Butcher is known to do and take half an hour to sit alone before subjecting himself to the media scrum which, is after all, very good at getting managers to say things they quickly regret for the sake of a "story".

lbb

Post by lbb » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:41 pm

I have to disagree, LS. I agreed with his post-match comments and I think the overwhelming majority of the support did.

Stevie A

Post by Stevie A » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Can you imagine how his counterpart across the city would be reacting right now? They'd have to screen the interview post watershed.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:52 pm

LLB, please don`t let them get to you too.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:05 pm

As I've said on other threads I have sympathy for McCoist who I think is one of the few to come out of this well. He has fought tenaciously on behalf of his players and the club but the interview suggests things might be getting on top of him. It certainly came across as bitter and at times rambling. The man is under tremendous pressure. The manager is always the public face of a football club but right now McCoist is more than that. He is having to rally the fans on a daily basis as well as deal with administrators and try to put a team out on the park. If and when backroom staff are axed along with players then it will only get worse as he has to shoulder even more responsibility.

Yesterday, his face was that of a beaten man.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 pm

It reminds me of the late 1970s when Harold Wilson, having made a cocked a*** of things, passed the buck to James Callaghan. Poor McCoist was the recipient of the hospital pass in the summer of 2011. Nary a word from Walterwallcarpeting since.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:19 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:It reminds me of the late 1970s when Harold Wilson, having made a cocked a*** of things, passed the buck to James Callaghan. Poor McCoist was the recipient of the hospital pass in the summer of 2011. Nary a word from Walterwallcarpeting since.
Well, remembering who came after Callaghan, let's hope McCoist is there for a long, long, time to come.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Anthony Blair? Gordon"Captain Chuckles"Brown? Yes, totally agree, hang on in there Coisty!

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 pm

The administrators could make a substantial saving by sacking McCoist along with a few overpaid players. Frankly Rangers' performance on the park for the rest of this season is largely immaterial. Would the sponsorship money from the cup and league position outweigh the million a month the administrators are talking about, taking the relevant period as up to the start of next season, ie 5 months?
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:21 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Anthony Blair? Gordon"Captain Chuckles"Brown? Yes, totally agree, hang on in there Coisty!
It used to be said of the 1960s that if you could remember them you weren't there. In this instance it would appear the years 1979-1990 have vanished from mind.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:28 am

scottish wrote:It used to be said of the 1960s that if you could remember them you weren't there. In this instance it would appear the years 1979-1990 have vanished from mind.
The old bitch herself can't remember them now.
Fraser

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:28 am

Now chaps, let`s not start down the dangerous political road. This is a football forum.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:32 am

the hibLOG wrote:The administrators could make a substantial saving by sacking McCoist along with a few overpaid players. Frankly Rangers' performance on the park for the rest of this season is largely immaterial. Would the sponsorship money from the cup and league position outweigh the million a month the administrators are talking about, taking the relevant period as up to the start of next season, ie 5 months?
McCoist has performed badly, I would agree. I think administration lets him off the woeful European exits, the Cup exits and throwing away a massive lead in the league title. The reality is we should still be top of the league even with a 10-point deduction which would be very funny indeed.

Administration changes everything, though. The football takes a back seat at this point but I don't think McCoist is the long-term option for Rangers, if we survive. If we do carry on, and are still going next season, then he may well resign on stress grounds in the summer.