the hibLOG

Re: Rangers Newco - How the SFL lines up

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:05 pm

the hibLOG wrote:Lordy! Cowdenbeath club statement.
Rangers fans don't want to go into the 1st division. And Donald Findlay doesn't go against the Ibrox legions so in that sense no surprise. Seriously, while chairman, I don't think Findlay has the same influence or control as some chairmen do. This is a welcome move and added to Partick Thistle's statement earlier in the day takes the number of Noes to a 1st division place to eleven, not counting Ayr & Livingston who also seem stick-ons. With abstentions from Airdrie United and Dundee that leaves fifteen clubs left. So far, Rangers haven't been able to persuade one other club, either in the SPL or the SFL to publicly declare their support so what chance of getting fourteen out of that fifteen to take it to a Jim Ballantyne tie-breaker?

Provided the SFL clubs stick together, listen to their fans and ignore the scaremongering (remember, six SPL clubs were going to go bust if Rangers weren't in the SPL. Now Doncaster says it isn't a problem) then justice will be done and the new Rangers can start again in the 3rd, as they should, as their fans want to (though perhaps for different reasons) as much as other clubs' supporters and from which they can begin again with a clean slate.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Alexander, McCulloch, Broadfoot, Wallace, Hutton, Perry, Scott Gallacher, Kal Naismith, Kane Hemmings, Darren Cole, Andrew Mitchell, Salim Kerkar & Chris Hegarty all are reported to have turned up for traing @ Murray Park today plus Goian, Bedoya, Edu & Bocanegra due to return soon. Reasonably strong ensemble for the 3rd Division I`d say.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Stenhousemuir statement. A club Rangers tried to kill back in 1964 has become the first to ride to their rescue in 2012, backing them to go into the 1st division.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Unless minds change over the next week this is the latest tally.

Definite No to newco in SFL 1
Clyde
Cowdenbeath
Dunfermline
East Fife
Falkirk
Morton
Partick Thistle
Peterhead
Raith Rovers
Stirling Albion
Stranraer

Likely No to newco in SFL 1
Ayr United
Livingston

Leaning No to newco in SFL 1
Queen of the South

Definite Yes to newco in SFL 1
Stenhousemuir

Leaning Yes to newco in SFL 1
Hamilton Accies

Abstentions
Airdrie United
Dundee

Awaiting results of supporters consultation or about to consult fans
Alloa Athletic
Dumbarton

Awaiting board meetings
Brechin City
Forfar Athletic

No public indication of voting intent or even if they will consult their supporters.
Albion Rovers
Annan Athletic
Arbroath
Berwick Rangers
East Stirlingshire
Elgin City
Montrose
Queen's Park

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 am

Remember that bit in the Godfather? Michael Corleonne "makes his bones" by shooting a rival gangster, and is promptly whipped off to Sicily out of harm's way; eventually a patsy from another Mafia family takes the rap on a reduced charge and Michael can come home - apparently the patsy's branch of the Mafia has a history of taking the rap for the bigger boys.

Stenhousemuir are that branch of football's Scotia Nostra. When Airdrie went bust, George Peat, then I seem to recall, SFA vice-president, could see his chances of the top job vanishing, so, he resigns from the Airdrie board and is immediately co-opted onto the Stenhousemuir board, and keeping his place in the SFA's hierarchy.

So I am in no way surprised that Stenhousemuir should come-up with the "Put Rangers in SFL1" statement - that, after all, is what Hampden wants.
Snuff

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:58 am

scottish wrote:Unless minds change over the next week this is the latest tally.

Definite No to newco in SFL 1
Clyde
Cowdenbeath
Dunfermline
East Fife
Falkirk
Morton
Partick Thistle
Peterhead
Raith Rovers
Stirling Albion
Stranraer

Likely No to newco in SFL 1
Ayr United
Livingston

Leaning No to newco in SFL 1
Queen of the South

Definite Yes to newco in SFL 1
Stenhousemuir

Leaning Yes to newco in SFL 1
Hamilton Accies

Abstentions
Airdrie United
Dundee

Awaiting results of supporters consultation or about to consult fans
Alloa Athletic
Dumbarton

Awaiting board meetings
Brechin City
Forfar Athletic

No public indication of voting intent or even if they will consult their supporters.
Albion Rovers
Annan Athletic
Arbroath
Berwick Rangers
East Stirlingshire
Elgin City
Montrose
Queen's Park
According to this morning's Sun who called all the clubs yesterday, Berwick are also voting Yes, whilst Annan and Montrose are a No. Livingston are an unequivocal No, not leaning.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:29 am

Stenhousemuir's statement, surely the most long-winded that this entire process will produce, does state that their backing of Rangers into SFL1 is dependent on some undisclosed restructuring of the senior game.

Having been so concise in their reasoning, one would have thought the board of SFC could have explained this condition as clearly as what was documented elsewhere in their statement.

In short "Stenhousemuir will vote for RFC to enter SFL1 only on the condition that something we are not prepared to tell anyone about is implemented to our satisfaction". Clear as mud!

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:02 am

Alan McCabe wrote:Stenhousemuir's statement, surely the most long-winded that this entire process will produce, does state that their backing of Rangers into SFL1 is dependent on some undisclosed restructuring of the senior game.

Having been so concise in their reasoning, one would have thought the board of SFC could have explained this condition as clearly as what was documented elsewhere in their statement.

In short "Stenhousemuir will vote for RFC to enter SFL1 only on the condition that something we are not prepared to tell anyone about is implemented to our satisfaction". Clear as mud!
I presumed Stenhousemuir were referring the the restructuring options already placed on the table ie. three playoff places to the SPL from Division 1, a pyramid system at the bottom of the SFL, merger of the leagues and a fairer distribution of money in the Scottish game. I don't think they are asking for anything new, merely confirming that the price for their (increasingly pointless looking) support is that the radical changes dicussed go ahead.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:39 am

"We are now in the hands of David Longmuir [SFL chief executive] who is certainly a man that Charles Green [Rangers chief executive] and I trust implicitly..." So said Super Ally on the BBC website yesterday. He seems have this misconception that it`s Longmuir`s decision but there are now 14 clubs which have come out confirming they`ll be voting against Rangers getting @ 1st Division level. With Dundee apparently being told they won`t be allowed a vote, it means just one more club is needed for Rangers to be playing Hampden derbies from 20th October onwards.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote: According to this morning's Sun who called all the clubs yesterday, Berwick are also voting Yes, whilst Annan and Montrose are a No. Livingston are an unequivocal No, not leaning.
I can't see anything on their site other than a statement saying it's 14-2 but not mentioning which clubs though adding the clubs you mention does bring it to 14-2.

Nothing more from Ayr but the tone of last week's Chairman's blog surely means anything other than a NO vote is inconceivable.

Updates on undeclared clubs as of twelve noon UK time today.

Alloa have updated their position this morning, saying consultation is still open. They seem firmly neutral. The first para suggests they might vote no and the second they are considering a yes.

"We would also like to assure our fans that we will not be bullied into a decision by any outside influences, but will act in the best interest of Alloa first and Scottish football second. Sporting integrity will of course weigh heavily in any decision we make.

We will continue to assess this situation as it changes as we believe there are very likely a number of variables which could become apparent before the vote next week. We do not underestimate the seriousness of this situation and understand that some clubs are of the opinion that this may affect their ability to trade going forward. Alloa are not in this position, the board are working on plans to ensure we will deal with any eventual outcome."

Accies say the board is meeting 'tonight' and the chairman will issue a statement afterwards but it's not dated. It could have been there any time since Wednesday.

Montrose are having a Neil Diamond tribute night as opposed to Rangers who appear to have operated as a Bob Diamond tribute act.

A QoS statement is more neutral sounding than before though you'll know more than me about that.

Queen's Park still won't sully their hands with all this grubby money stuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote: I presumed Stenhousemuir were referring the the restructuring options already placed on the table ie. three playoff places to the SPL from Division 1, a pyramid system at the bottom of the SFL, merger of the leagues and a fairer distribution of money in the Scottish game. I don't think they are asking for anything new, merely confirming that the price for their (increasingly pointless looking) support is that the radical changes dicussed go ahead.
Weird, though. From their POV SPL play-offs are pretty meaningless but a pyramid is a threat. The SFL have wanted to bring in a pyramid for years but have been held back by fearful clubs.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Snuff wrote:

Stenhousemuir are that branch of football's Scotia Nostra. When Airdrie went bust, George Peat, then I seem to recall, SFA vice-president, could see his chances of the top job vanishing, so, he resigns from the Airdrie board and is immediately co-opted onto the Stenhousemuir board, and keeping his place in the SFA's hierarchy.
I had forgotten about Peat's quick change of horse. Though I do remember he was championed by Traynor all the way.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:54 pm

scottish wrote:
Skyline Drifter wrote: According to this morning's Sun who called all the clubs yesterday, Berwick are also voting Yes, whilst Annan and Montrose are a No. Livingston are an unequivocal No, not leaning.
I can't see anything on their site other than a statement saying it's 14-2 but not mentioning which clubs though adding the clubs you mention does bring it to 14-2.
I haven't looked at their site. I was reading the actual newspaper which has a breakdown with quotes from the clubs involved, albeit not named individuals.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Queen`s Park committee meeting arranged for Monday night. No clue forthcoming on which way it`ll go.