Rangers Newco - How the SFL lines up

The place to discuss Scottish football
Snuff

Re: Rangers Newco - How the SFL lines up

Post by Snuff » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:14 am

I sat down this morning and came up with, off the top of my head, over 20 unresolved issues in this whole Rangersgate mess. These ranged through matters relevant to the Murray regime, via the Whyte regime, to the administration process and the sale to Green.
Factor in the still unresolved matter of the BTC, take cognisance of the fact that the big kick-off is fast approaching and it seems clear to me - there is no way any club with even the remotest connection to the Rangers "brand" can be allowed to start the new season in the senior ranks in Scotland.

To me, the fairest outcome would be for the SFL's Third Division to proceed with just 11 clubs, pending a full outcome to all the unresolved issues. I can see a few lawyers making a good living out of sorting-out the mess which the actions and inactions of Messrs Murray, Whyte, Duff & Phelps and the rest have left.

Reality tells me, the Hampden "blazers" want to keep the Rangers "brand" within Scottish football. Well the fairest way for all for this to happen is for Green's outfit: I Can't Believe It's Not Rangers, to be (perhaps) given SFA associate member status and an assurance that - provided they sort themselves out and the legal issues are settled - they will get in to the new Scottish Professional Football League when it is formed.

Meantime, assuming Ally Mccoist can find 14 players, they could play the idle SFL3 team each week in a friendly.

Mind you, I'd still rather see them playing in Celtral Division Two of the juniors.

Talbot v ICBINR in the Scottish Junior Cup, at Beechwood; now that would be worth seeing.
Snuff

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Rangers don't exist. At least, not as a going concern. They will not exist at all within, I assume, a few months.
Sevco1888 don't have enough players to field a team, it is unclear whether they have a stadium, and they don't have enough money to keep going. We must get over the idea that they are "Rangers" and have any "right" to play in the League.

Out of existence forever is the only answer.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Another interesting factlet I read somewhere, which may be horse hookey but may not, is the assertion that Sevco's deal with the administrators was to purchase Rangers for 5.5mil 'by 31 July 2012' - ie they may not actually have put down a penny yet and could still drop the option altogether before the end of the month. Quite where that would leave 'Armageddon' is a thought and a half.

The Scots Law blog has quite a lucid analysis of the apparent contradictions at the heart of the SFL's resolution/s (is it one or three?) Parts 1 and 2 linked above this piece are worth following too. Clyde see the hopeless confusion andwant the wording changed. They also go to great lengths to explain the hopeless mess that the SFL finds itself in and point out how they would be left with no option but to vote no to all resolutions as they currently stand. Another brilliant exposition from Clyde.

Other developments:

Morton chairman Douglas Rae pans Doncaster and Regan,openly accusing (or repeating the accusation from Clyde) that Regan liedabout telling the SFL that he would have blocked the newcos entry to the SPL if the clubs had voted for it.

For your convenience the latest from Alex Thomson - some interesting questions in the comments below on the legality of the transfer of the Rangers SFA membership under SFA rules. But also bad news for anyone thinking UEFA or FIFA are going to come knocking unless sporting integrity is upheld.

Further regulatory chaos at the SFA.
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Snuff wrote:
Talbot v ICBINR in the Scottish Junior Cup, at Beechwood; now that would be worth seeing.
Aye, if only to see which side the locals supported.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Berwick Rangers are now in the Div 3 camp IF Rangers are admitted into the SFL. Obviously their fans consultation has made up the board's mind. I now make that anything from between 14-18 (depending on various reports) in favour of SFL 3 with only Dumbarton & Stenhousemuir in favour of SFL 1.

Meanwhile Clyde hit the nail on the head

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:05 pm

scottish wrote:Meanwhile Clyde hit the nail on the head
It's a big nail right enough but having said that there are some fair corry-fisted, one-eyed hammer wielders out there.

Talking of which, who have the Record wheeled out today to give us the Armageddon speech?
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:25 pm

the hibLOG wrote:
Talking of which, who have the Record wheeled out today to give us the Armageddon speech?
Well, Donald Trump's around. Or rather half a round seeing as he only managed nine holes with Colin Montgomerie (another Rangers fan). So maybe there will be a 'MONTY TRUMPS GREEN' headline with news of a last-minute rescue.

Sorry for posting amost identical links. Never saw yours until after I'd posted.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 am

Forget £16million - now it's £80million down the tubes. That's according to the Scottish Sun, so it must be true. "This is neither scaremongering or rumours" says The Sun. That's right, it's the TRUTH. The same truth as brought to the SFL by the shonky maths of Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster.

In other words as much truth as their report from yesterday about Gazza coming out of retirement to play for Coisty and Giovanni Di Stefano finding a loophole to allow Rangers to join the English FA.
Fraser

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:49 am

"This is neither scaremongering or rumours" says The Sun. - From school days many, many years ago, it was "neither/nor or either/or". Grammar isn`t the Sun`s strongpoint either(or).

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:35 pm

the hibLOG wrote:Forget £16million - now it's £80million down the tubes. That's according to the Scottish Sun, so it must be true. "This is neither scaremongering or rumours" says The Sun. That's right, it's the TRUTH. The same truth as brought to the SFL by the shonky maths of Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster.

In other words as much truth as their report from yesterday about Gazza coming out of retirement to play for Coisty and Giovanni Di Stefano finding a loophole to allow Rangers to join the English FA.
Their Gazza article was downright disgusting. The man is clearly mentally ill and exploiting him like that was typical of a rag which appears to have learned no lessons from their own newspaper group's public humbling over the past year.

As for the money issue, there's a different take on it from a Phillipines-based St Johnstone fan. I would't claim it to be 100% accurate but it is at least as reliable in the opposite direction as the SFA/SPL claims. A version of this article appeared in The Herald today but given that paper's paywall it's best to link to the original. Still, at least the fact that The Herald published this makes a change from the scribblings of Richard Wilson - the Darryl Broadfoot de nos jours I mean, not Victor Meldrew.

One thing The Sun might be accurate on is the claim that the SPL will fall in value to £3M per annum without Rangers. We know this because Neil Doncaster himself put that figure on it in his ludicrous document issued to SFL clubs. He has told putative bidders what the price is in advance. Clever, eh?

Oh, and if, as The Sun says, the SFL will gain £2M next year thanks to Rangers being in their ranks then surely that's a great incentive for SFL clubs to make sure they're there for at least three seasons in order to maximise the advantage?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Albion Rovers hint at supporting the SFL 1 option on account of losing derbies v Airdrie United.

Incredible. They've only played Airdrie United twice - last season - and their least league match v Airdrieonians was over twenty years ago. Not exactly a regular fixture they're losing.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:52 pm

I wouldn't believe the date in The Sun.
http://sfha.org.uk/

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 pm

scottish wrote:Albion Rovers hint at supporting the SFL 1 option on account of losing derbies v Airdrie United.

Incredible. They've only played Airdrie United twice - last season - and their least league match v Airdrieonians was over twenty years ago. Not exactly a regular fixture they're losing.
Big crowds though, eh? 1,100 for each home game. That's nearly half full. No way Rangers would bring a bigger gate than that, eh? Specially in Coatbridge.

:roll: FFS...
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 pm

the hibLOG wrote: Big crowds though, eh? 1,100 for each home game. That's nearly half full. No way Rangers would bring a bigger gate than that, eh? Specially in Coatbridge.

:roll: FFS...
I think their complaint is that they don't benefit from Rangers being in either the 1st or 3rd. However if Rangers go into the 3rd then Airdrie Utd go into the 1st and Rovers lose out as a result. It doesn't say much for their confidence that they can stay another season in the 2nd to play a (presumably) promoted Rangers. But relying on income from this particular derby is crazy. They've been in the same division as Airdrie United just once - last season - and Rovers almost lost in the play-offs while Airdrie Utd nearly went the other way. The last time they met the old Airdrieonians was back in 1990. They've had sixteen home games against a team from Airdrie in over 90 years and this coming season will/might be the first they've played an Airdrie team two seasons running since 1935-36.

Yet the way they're speaking you'd think this was an annual fixture being lost.