John Litster's pre war spreadsheet available soon

The place to discuss Scottish football
Alan Brown

John Litster's pre war spreadsheet available soon

Post by Alan Brown » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

According to John's blog, this will be available soon. (see below)

"After 8 years’ fairly steady toil, I am determined to complete the Pre War Database of Scottish League Players. In October 2007, I produced an interim version, detailing registrations. Since then, I have added the appearances and goalscoring records. The actual research ended about a year ago, but collating the data has consumed much of the last 12 months. Now, it has to be put into sensible - and publishable, order. A fortnight ago, I set myself a target of finishing this within 30 days. There are 90,000 lines on three separate spreadsheets, and I can just about manage to do 3,000 lines a day, amounting to at least 6 hours work each day. It is taxing on the concentration, the eyesight, and my will to live. Hence the lack of enthusiasm, and energy, for a long trip to a football match. Those who jib at the price of £19 may wish to consider that it probably equates to 1p per hour of work which has gone into completing it."

Looking forward to this one.

Alan

HibeeJibee

Re: John Litster's pre war spreadsheet available soon

Post by HibeeJibee » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Excellent news.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:42 pm

And it should be well worth the wait, and at just £19, is an absolute bargain. Well done, John.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

prorege

Post by prorege » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:28 pm

When I spoke to John about this a few months ago he told me he had tracked down every team line-up for Scottish League games, including the Third Division of the 1920s.

A truly incredible feat!

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 pm

That's remarkable. Although I suppose it makes sense in order to compile comprehensive career stats.

Given he must surely have organised and tabulated that material, has he any intention of publishing it? I suppose there'd be different ways of doing it, but I assume he has most likely populated club-by-club season-by-season line-up grids. It'd be a goldmine of a resource in itself sold on CD.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:45 pm

prorege wrote:When I spoke to John about this a few months ago he told me he had tracked down every team line-up for Scottish League games, including the Third Division of the 1920s.

A truly incredible feat!
Amazing. Team-sheets are handed in after each match but many haven't survived. A list of players is relatively easy as the SFA have records going back to 1893 and the SFL from 1897 so if you have the time you can get that info. But line-ups, that's something else, as anyone who has tried to compile them for just one club knows.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 am

Can't wait. I know what it is like doing it just for HMFC.

At least there were no bloody subs in those days!
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 pm

I have the original CD and John said at the time original subscribers would receive a £10 discount. However, it looks like he's gone way beyond his original aim of not researching fresh material. In this case, I for one will be more than delighted to pay the full price.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:44 pm

What I find fascinating about John's research is that he carried it all out by himself. An amazing achievement for one person surely.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:50 pm

BMCCOLL wrote:I have the original CD and John said at the time original subscribers would receive a £10 discount. However, it looks like he's gone way beyond his original aim of not researching fresh material. In this case, I for one will be more than delighted to pay the full price.
I agree with that and will do likewise

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:06 pm

scottish wrote:
prorege wrote:When I spoke to John about this a few months ago he told me he had tracked down every team line-up for Scottish League games, including the Third Division of the 1920s.

A truly incredible feat!
Amazing. Team-sheets are handed in after each match but many haven't survived. A list of players is relatively easy as the SFA have records going back to 1893 and the SFL from 1897 so if you have the time you can get that info. But line-ups, that's something else, as anyone who has tried to compile them for just one club knows.
Agreed. I've spent more time than is healthy trying to track down a solitary Hibs line up from 1910. I'd happily pay £19 just for that info. Looking forward to this work.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:42 pm

A true bargain.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:08 am

HibeeJibee wrote:That's remarkable. Although I suppose it makes sense in order to compile comprehensive career stats.

Given he must surely have organised and tabulated that material, has he any intention of publishing it? I suppose there'd be different ways of doing it, but I assume he has most likely populated club-by-club season-by-season line-up grids. It'd be a goldmine of a resource in itself sold on CD.
I remember having an email exchange with John, and I don't think he collated team line ups - he 'just' collated summary information.

Hope I'm wrong like.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 am

bobby s wrote: I remember having an email exchange with John, and I don't think he collated team line ups - he 'just' collated summary information. Hope I'm wrong like.
Yes, he's never produced match by match, team by team line-ups along the lines Brian McColl and the rest of us have been working on. Whether this will be different this time I don't know but it would be comparatively easier for pre-war given his 1st disk had all the players on a single spreadsheet instead of alphabetical ones for post-war.

Even if he doesn't (and who could blame him for not doing so) then a single sheet is easier to use. All his post-war info is in the format player, season, club, pre-war is player, club, season and both are password protected but you can copy and paste into another sheet then sort it yourself. I have sorted three ways in addition to the original - Club, Season, Player then Season, Club, Player and finally Club, Player Season. This makes it easier to look at seasonal totals. From there you can start to construct a match by match tally for clubs or seasons - if you have the time. Brian McColl's approach has been to look at top division sides not already covered in print, which is obviously the best way to do it. I don't know if there's been any progress lately but if Brian reads this, I'm sure he'll give an update.

Remember too that John's data doesn't include results though London Hearts has a full list of top division results since 1890 and lower division results are easy enough to come by.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:38 am

There were a few members of this forum working on the pre-war stats a while back, but not sure if this is still ongoing.
My task was to get my 1900-1920 research into spreadsheet format and send on to Brian, but through lack of time due to
work commitments and domestic life taking up most of my free time I haven't been able to make a great amount of progress
on this. Any free time that I have at the moment is being used to complete my research into Third Lanark. I am planning
to have a pdf e-book available on Thirds by the end of this year, which will be a season by season statistical review from
1872 - 1967. The stats are in a "Rothman's" style format with all the usual data available.

Alan