Championship Manager...For Real!

The place to discuss Scottish football
Alan McCabe

Championship Manager...For Real!

Post by Alan McCabe » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:16 pm

I've posted before on this subject but following tonight's revelations (I know a lot of it is purely speculative) just where are Hearts heading with the Romanovs in charge?
Call me a traditionalist or an old-fashioned fool, but whenever our clubs begin to be auctioned off to the most convenient bidder then we should all be fearful for the future.
Give me home-grown talent in the boardroom and on the pitch any day! I'd rather watch my club battle away in the lower leagues with a team-full of Scottish lads than kid the gullible gloryhunters with tales and promises of foreign investment and alien mercenaries.
Worse still if the club owners, seemingly addicted to playing Championship Manager on their pcs, decide to play it in real life!
Good luck Heart of Midlothian FC. You'll need it!!!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:32 am

If Hearts win the title (though it's looking increasingly unlikely) then what would it say about our "home-grown talent" then?

Though I think the main effect of Romanov's control of signings and, it would seem, selection will be to hand the poorest Rangers side of the past 20 years a Champions League lifeline. And a Celtic team in transition - which shouldn't even have been contenders this season - will enjoy a stroll to the title.

As for being auctioned off to the most convenient bidder - that applies to every club. Remember, David Murray only turned to Rangers after being knocked back by Ayr. Brooks Mileson is at Gretna because he couldn't get control of Carlisle. Further afield, while everyone else loathes them, Chelsea fans are right behind Roman Abramovich and the only reason the Glazers aren't similarly worshipped at Old Trafford is that the next five years transfer pot went on buying out two Irish multi-millionaires.

Neiljb

Re: Championship Manager...For Real!

Post by Neiljb » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:30 pm

Alan McCabe wrote:!
Good luck Heart of Midlothian FC. You'll need it!!!
Thanks for the concern. And a 4-1 to you too. :lol:
Bungs, Sweetners and Christmas Presents. Who'd want to be a manager?

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13 am

"And a 4-1 to you too"

What does this relate to, please?[/quote]

Ramalhete

Post by Ramalhete » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm

Another example of this is Alavés from the Spanish Premier League. Their coach was fired yesterday after one month at the job following a disagreement with the owner over team selections. In five games he only lost one game – at champions Barcelona.
Sadly, with foreign millionaires buying clubs it’s becoming something very common…

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:23 pm

And would you believe the Alaves president is yet another from the former USSR. Ukrainian-born but later a triple jumper for the USA.

Triple Jump? More an expert at the high jump - making other people take it that is.

Ramalhete

Post by Ramalhete » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:17 pm

Let’s see what happens at Portsmouth with another Russian owner. According to the reports he will be in sole charge of Pompey and he is not very happy with the recent results. It seems we will have a new Russian soap opera at the south coast…