League reconstruction, part 96...

The place to discuss Scottish football

Re: League reconstruction, part 96...

Postby Scottish » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:02 am

the hibLOG wrote:Reconstruction, did I say?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I despair. I really do. I wish I could say this is an unexpected outrage but it was all too predictable. Though it is still an outrage. Given the shotgun wedding of the two leagues, I can accept there was a need for a CEO to be in place for the start of the new season. I could even accept it would have to be either Doncaster or Longmuir, provided it was ON AN INTERIM BASIS ONLY and that the position was advertised, applicants selected, and a shortlist drawn up prior to a full-time appointment.

But this just stinks, rather appropriately, just like a rotting fish - from the head down. I wonder what the rules of the new SPFL say about staff appointments and if any have been broken by this? Has anyone seen a copy of the "new" rules?

I have never been so depressed going into a new season. It should be full of hope. All 42 clubs under one roof again. The beginnings of a pyramid with the right to challenge for league entry coming into force in 2014-15. The potential of further promotion/relegation at the top end. The national team ending last season on the back of a terrific and totally unexpected victory.

Instead we have the same old faces running the game. The only ones bleating are those who have lost their own influence and are motivated every bit as much by self-interest (that's you Henry McLelland and you Jim Ballantyne) as the rest.

This isn't so much like the WW1 phrase 'lions led by donkeys' as hyenas led by Donkeycaster.

On top of that, there's a little bit of rulebending which sees Rangers associate membership of the SFL ,with four years still to run, abolished entirely as this is a 'new' body. There is still no resolution to the 11-1 problem as two votes by top flight sides can still veto the rest. And presumably Aberdeen will continue to act as Rangers' proxy until the latter are back in the top league.

The second biggest club in the top flight will start the season minus fifteen points - that's if they start at all. It's by no means beyond the bounds of possibility that Hearts will start in the SPFL only to fold shortly afterwards. That's the nightmare scenario to end them all. At least if they have to go the newco route before then, fixtures and promotions can be arranged accordingly as they were with Rangers last season.

The most depressing thing is that it shouldn't be depressing yet it is!

Finally, I had a routine blood pressure test last week and was told it was absolutely fine. The results might have been different if I had read anything attributed to Michael Johnston that morning.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Alan McCabe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 am

I guess it sums up the whole charade that is Scottish football.

The SPL has been an absolutely unmitigated disaster since its inception and, while Doncaster was not obviously there for all of its existence, all vestiges of its hellish creation should be completely erased in this 'brave new world'. But no. Most businesses would start again and find a fresh candidate for the new era. Not in Scottish football though. We prefer to reappoint individuals who have been culpable in some of the most embarrassing episodes of our game's long history.

Jokes should be funny. This one ain't.
Alan McCabe

Postby lbb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:37 am

The new CEO.

lbb

Postby MadMac » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:59 pm

So what happens with any current TV deals, as the bodies they were agreed with no longer exist? Fox Soccer Plus in the US is still claiming to broadcast games from the now-defunct SPL.
MadMac

Postby Scottish » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:26 am

I'd imagine they continue as they are. Presumably this was squared before the ¨merger?" Surely even the SPL aren't that incompetent that they have to pay a forfeit because in theory they no longer exist? Presumably also they don't have to try and cobble together a new deal at an inevitably lower rate weeks before the start of the season? Even the SP(F)L can't be that incompetent. Can they?

On the photos about the 'new' CEO, since Doncaster was the existing one, I can only assume that, like so many other Rangers fans, lbb is making a none too oblique reference to Peter Lawwell as the Cardinal Richelieu of Scottish football. What was that I was saying about the winds of paranoia wafting across Glasgow?

BTW thanks to those pics I can finally find a good word to say about Doncaster. At least, like Christian Gross, he travels to the airport by tube, not taxi.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby cowdenbeather » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:39 am

My recollection was that a new Board would be elected and initially they would appoint a CEO, Chairman and 1 non-exec Director under the revised articles and rules of the SPFL (which of course is the same company as the SPL not a newco). SPL contractual arrangements, etc are unchanged as the change in name/shareholders doesn't really impact on those.
cowdenbeather

Postby MadMac » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:40 pm

scottish wrote:Surely even the SPL aren't that incompetent that they have to pay a forfeit because in theory they no longer exist? Presumably also they don't have to try and cobble together a new deal at an inevitably lower rate weeks before the start of the season? Even the SP(F)L can't be that incompetent. Can they?

With respect, Sir, now you're being silly.....
MadMac

Postby HibeeJibee » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Piecing together what has been in the papers... SPL hasn't ceased to exist: it has taken on 30 new shareholders, made a raft of changes to its constitution and rules, and will be making some changes to its staff structure. As a company the Scottish Premier League Limited is continuing as previously - but with "Professional Football" replacing "Premier" in the name. Meanwhile the Scottish Football League (which was only ever an unincorporated association?) has formally wound-up. There was mention of staff being TUPE'd from SFL to SPL and as I'm no employment lawyer the reason for that isn't entirely clear - perhaps it's simply a cleaner way of doing it than making everyone redundant then re-employing most.

Presumably SPL's deals therefore continue unaffected. SFL's deals with Irn-Bru and the Scottish Government were ending anyway, IIRC, so presumably they have to transfer or re-negotiate with only Ramsdens and perhaps BBC Alba (who SPL deal with already)?
HibeeJibee

Postby Scottish » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:25 pm

HibeeJibee wrote: so presumably they have to transfer or re-negotiate with only Ramsdens and perhaps BBC Alba (who SPL deal with already)?

The League Cup?
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby HibeeJibee » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Sponsored by the Scottish Government.

But it's not a 'multi-year' deal, IIRC?
HibeeJibee

Postby the hibLOG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 pm

HibeeJibee wrote:Piecing together what has been in the papers... SPL hasn't ceased to exist: it has taken on 30 new shareholders, made a raft of changes to its constitution and rules, and will be making some changes to its staff structure. As a company the Scottish Premier League Limited is continuing as previously - but with "Professional Football" replacing "Premier" in the name. Meanwhile the Scottish Football League (which was only ever an unincorporated association?) has formally wound-up. There was mention of staff being TUPE'd from SFL to SPL and as I'm no employment lawyer the reason for that isn't entirely clear - perhaps it's simply a cleaner way of doing it than making everyone redundant then re-employing most.

Presumably SPL's deals therefore continue unaffected. SFL's deals with Irn-Bru and the Scottish Government were ending anyway, IIRC, so presumably they have to transfer or re-negotiate with only Ramsdens and perhaps BBC Alba (who SPL deal with already)?

I think you are probably spot on there. Having just undergone a merger of charitable organisations in my own workplace here in NZ I can see that incorporating a new company and employing everyone within it would be utterly impossible in the timescale available. It took us something like four or five months.

Funnily enough we've still got the same CEO as before, but unlike Scottish football we're happy with that :)
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Scottish » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 pm

HibeeJibee wrote:Sponsored by the Scottish Government.

But it's not a 'multi-year' deal, IIRC?

I was thinking more of TV rights.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby lbb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:12 am

scottish wrote:I can only assume that.

I merely posted the pictures. Any inference you take from it is entirely your own.
lbb

Postby the hibLOG » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 pm

lbb wrote:I merely posted the pictures. Any inference you take from it is entirely your own.

:lol:

Disingenuous'R'Us.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Previous

Return to Scottish Football