Strachan

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Strachan

Post by Scottish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 am

FROM OVER EIGHT YEARS AGO

Good to see the SFA finally catching up.

the hibLOG

Re: Strachan

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:15 am

And in the interim they went for Smith and McLeish, both of whom did exactly what you indicated was the main risk with Strachan, and neither of whom achieved notable success in improving the team's fortunes, unless you count a few Big Time Charlie performances against France and Italy. Now may in fact be the right time for Strachan, his underwhelming tenure at Middlesbrough and consequent lack of appeal to other clubs having made him slightly less likely to jump ship. One suspects he has also tired a little of the club merry-go-round and is prepared to have a good crack at the national job. And as you said eight years ago there are few better candidates and plenty worse at the moment.

One concern is that he may have the same sort of bloody minded ability to piss off and shut out players (think Derek Riordan) as Levein demonstrated so damagingly. Let's hope he's a bit more pragmatic with Scotland's limited resources.
Fraser

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 am

scottish wrote:FROM OVER EIGHT YEARS AGO

Good to see the SFA finally catching up.
A great read! The comparisons betwen Gordon Strachan and Tommy Docherty are interesting! Tommy certainly breezed into the Scotland job and with bitter experience of the organisation of the Scotland team during his time as a player. Docherty was also a revalation as Aston Villa manager waking a sleeping giant both on and off the field! Others then took the club forward but he did the hard graft to stop the decline of a great club and bring enthusiasm back. Horses for courses comes to mind!

Good luck Gordon - it certainly will not be boring!

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 pm

There was nothing in Gordon Strachan's CV in 2005, just as there is nothing in it today, to warrant the position as manager of Scotland. But then, when you appoint as assistant a man who has just left the second worst team in English professional football - his sixth sacking in his career - then you're not really trying to improve things. You're just managing decline.

You could have copied the Irish and went for a Trappatoni-like figure to get the best out of the ordinary talent available. But that requires money.

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:06 pm

It's not exactly Ally McLeod at Hampden circa 1978.

"I've not suddenly become a bad manager overnight." No, Mark, it happened 15 years ago.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:32 pm

lbb wrote: It's not exactly Ally McLeod at Hampden circa 1978.
This is a bad thing?

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 pm

scottish wrote: This is a bad thing?
We're going to fail anyway. People may as well try and get some fun out of it along the way.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:29 pm

lbb wrote: You could have copied the Irish and went for a Trappatoni-like figure to get the best out of the ordinary talent available. But that requires money.
and a foreigner. And I don't think the SFA, media, or supporters (the vocal element anyway) are ready to accept a foreigner again. Bertiphobia.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:29 am

lbb wrote: You could have copied the Irish and went for a Trappatoni-like figure to get the best out of the ordinary talent available. But that requires money.
Remind me again how the Irish got on against Germany.

lbb

Post by lbb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 am

HibeeJibee wrote: and a foreigner. And I don't think the SFA, media, or supporters (the vocal element anyway) are ready to accept a foreigner again. Bertiphobia.
The media and the supporters don't have a clue. The SFA's job is to lead, not be led.
scottish wrote:Remind me again how the Irish got on against Germany.
Remind me where they were last summer.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:45 pm

lbb wrote: The media and the supporters don't have a clue. The SFA's job is to lead, not be led.
Oh completely, although I suspect they'd prefer a "proud Scot" too. My first preference was for someone with international experience, and sadly no available Scot had that.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:39 pm

HibeeJibee wrote: My first preference was for someone with international experience, and sadly no available Scot had that.
The only managers Scotland have ever had who possessed any significant international reputation at either club or national level were Jock Stein & Berti Vogts (I discount Alex Ferguson who was always a stop-gap appointment & Matt Busby who was part-time).

I actually share lbb's attitude towards the McGhee appointment. It definitely smacks of the old pals act but it's not as if it's unusual. Levein-Houston? Burley-Butcher? McLeish-Watson? Smith-Burns-McCoist? The last time there wasn't an element of cronyism was Vogts & Burns when the SFA insisted the assistant had to have local knowledge. Even then Berti wangled the U-21 job for Rainer Bonhof. Before that there was Brown-Knox & Roxburgh-Brown.

In fact you could argue that the last Scotland boss (other than Vogts who had it forced upon him) who DIDN'T appoint an old mate to help him was Jock Stein, who turned to men from the generation after him - Jim McLean & Alex Ferguson. Then again, club managers usually insist on a free hand with assistant and coaching appointments so why should international bosses be any different? And we shouldn't really be surprised if they turn to someone they consider reliable.

That said, I'd have hoped Gordon Strachan's contacts book would have been more extensive.

However, I can't imagine McGhee having much input into matters and as far as international experience goes - at club level at any rate - Strachan is the best qualified Scottish manager around.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Who has Strachan had as his assistants in his various jobs? He certainly hasn't been associated with anyone in particular in the way some managers are.
Fraser

Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:08 am

Garry Pendrey has been Strachan's assistant at all his clubs, I believe.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:43 pm

the hibLOG wrote:Who has Strachan had as his assistants in his various jobs? He certainly hasn't been associated with anyone in particular in the way some managers are.
Gunboat Briggs wrote:Garry Pendrey has been Strachan's assistant at all his clubs, I believe.
Ah well, there you go, shows you what I know :oops:
Fraser