The Berwick Rangers Question

The place to discuss Scottish football
MadMac

The Berwick Rangers Question

Post by MadMac » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:55 am

Most, if not all, of us on here are old enough to have heard of Tam Dalyell's famous "West Lothian Question". This occurred to me today:

Suppose that Scotland votes for, and subsequently attains, independence. What happens to Berwick Rangers? Notwithstanding the Derry City situation, is there any other instance in Europe of a senior league club located in one sovereign (as opposed to the Welsh clubs in the English system) nation playing in the competitions of another?

Gordon Baird

Re: The Berwick Rangers Question

Post by Gordon Baird » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 am

It seems that there are quite a few examples in Europe alone. Half a dozen clubs from Liechtenstein play in Switzerland, likewise Finnish clubs in Sweden.
There are also odd teams from Italy and Spain playing across borders. These are often clubs from enclaves but their nationality is not at question.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 am

Berwick Rangers are members of the SFA. There is no reason to suppose that status would change for whatever reason - even if you had to have your passport checked on the way in and way back out. I can't imagine Berwick, having been SFA members for over a century, would wish to resign and I can't imagine the SFA having any motive to expel them. I believe the same would have applied to Gretna, had they remained in the Cumberland FA, instead of 'switching sides.'

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks Gents - apparently more widespread than I had imagined. I was just wondering if UEFA/FIFA might flex their muscles, so to speak.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Wellington Phoenix play in the Australian A-League.
Fraser

Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:52 am

AS Monaco are another obvious example.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Sometimes it's not just 'small' countries either. Montreal Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps are all in the MLS.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 pm

When Istria was 'quasi independent' due to ethnic & territorial disagreements between Italy & Yugoslavia following WWII, Ponziana left the Italian League and joined the Yugoslav League, then later re-joined the Italian League, but Trieste's other team Triestina throughout played in the Italian League.

So two different National Leagues in one not very big city [which itself was in a bizarre quasi-statelet].

Teams just play where suits them as long as the League accepts them.