RScotland

The place to discuss Scottish football
John Meffen

RScotland

Post by John Meffen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Well Jim Spence asked which were clubs best bargain buys, I answered saying James Robertson for Falkirk FC [of course] then I asked him not to just talk about Old Firm players of the last 25 years as we have a long history of good football up here [it could be argued we are at our lowest ebb] https://twitter.com/John_Meffen/status/ ... 9240235008

You will never guess what happened, Lubomir Moravcik, Henrik Larsson & David Weir were mentioned

I seriously f*****g despair

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: RScotland

Post by Scottish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:18 pm

The first two certainly were. Weir was a very good player but played for too many clubs to be considered a special bargain for any of them. As far as Rangers are concerned the best bargain for me goes back to Alex McDonald. Fifty grand got them thirteen years, 500 appearances and almost 100 goals. Value for money in anyone's language.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:03 am

TBH Jim Spence got back to me on twitter, he doesn't like it either, but the paymaster is the paymaster.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:28 am

Depends what you call a transfer, if you signed a player from a junior club you still paid a transfer fee unless the player was an amateur with the junior club and if that was the case then off the top of my head ,players like, Pat Stanton , Paul Sturrock spring to mind, provided they were on proffesional forms at their junior club. They would certainly be classed as bargains. (oops I forgot Stanton played for Celtic ).

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:00 pm

scottish wrote:The first two certainly were. Weir was a very good player but played for too many clubs to be considered a special bargain for any of them. As far as Rangers are concerned the best bargain for me goes back to Alex McDonald. Fifty grand got them thirteen years, 500 appearances and almost 100 goals. Value for money in anyone's language.
And he still needed Wallace Mercer to give him a testimonial.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

Vasco

Post by Vasco » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 am

I've been saying for years that Wee Doddie and Derek Johnstone carried the Blue Noses through the 1970s.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Vasco wrote:I've been saying for years that Wee Doddie and Derek Johnstone carried the Blue Noses through the 1970s.
Willie Pullar?
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am

Gorgiewave wrote: Willie Pullar?
Never thought about it before but no wonder he preferred his nickname to first and middle ones. It would have been an embarrassment to have gone through school with that combination.

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:54 pm

scottish wrote:The first two certainly were. Weir was a very good player but played for too many clubs to be considered a special bargain for any of them. As far as Rangers are concerned the best bargain for me goes back to Alex McDonald. Fifty grand got them thirteen years, 500 appearances and almost 100 goals. Value for money in anyone's language.
Perhaps Davie Cooper comes close to those stats. (apologies to the OP for continuing down the OF line)